Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Even if he did say Manc and not black

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
60? I reckon 50. Anyway it doesn’t look good but then photos can be enormously misrepresentative so we can’t convict someone just on that basis. Not sure about knowing a lot better whether 50 or 60 because I see dozens of similarly aged gentlemen in the North losing their shit every other week during course of a match. That’s just football and it’s what makes the game what it is whether you agree or disagree.

No sorry.

Calling someone a “f****** c*** does not “make the game”.

I get your point about one word against another but what he said was unacceptable whether it was racist or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
'Which he clearly did'?? I'm not sure that would stand up in court in a libel trial. Even the most expert lipreader would be very hard-pressed to tell the difference between 'black' and 'Manc'.If someone is willing to say on oath that they heard him say 'black,' then that's a different matter. Could Raheem Sterling say for sure? Probably he heard someone say it, but his back was to the accused man.

I'm guessing that he did say it but even if the police decide to prosecute, I would imagine that a decent lawyer will get him off.

https://lipreadingpractice.co.uk/Lip-Reading-Exercises/Consonants/m-p-b-sounds/

You’re forgetting about witnesses.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No sorry.

Calling someone a “f****** c*** does not “make the game”.

I get your point about one word against another but what he said was unacceptable whether it was racist or not.

It’s foul language in my book for sure but I’m afraid it does ‘make the game’ like it or not. That is the reality, sorry if that offended. People express themselves in many different ways. Football has decided upon a code of conduct. But it doesn’t practice this generally. And I’d hate to see everyone using a profanity banned from football. For starters they’d be no players let alone supporters.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It’s foul language in my book for sure but I’m afraid it does ‘make the game’ like it or not. That is the reality, sorry if that offended. People express themselves in many different ways. Football has decided upon a code of conduct. But it doesn’t practice this generally. And I’d hate to see everyone using a profanity banned from football. For starters they’d be no players let alone supporters.

There are profanities and then there is pure hatred and vitriol.....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

There’s degrees. We all despise Palace and Zaha as much as you, I think a communal chant of wnkr is fine myself.

But some people massively overstep the mark. I used to sit in WSU G and an Albion fan (always aggressive, hateful, a know it all) shouted “f*ck off you Spanish c*nt” to David Lopez. People turned round and said that he was out of order. At h/t he disappeared and wasn’t seen for many matches after that, I assume banned.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I very much doubt that Raheem Sterling has made a mistake or has lied. The guy is only sorry he got caught and reported.

Well done to Raheem for standing up to this and holding a mirror up the these people and the people in the media who facilitate it

Your question is it OK to say ''Manc'' - Yes of course it is BUT not in the aggressive vitriol manner that guy did it in.

Stopped reading at this post as it nails the question and issue completely :thumbsup:

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Why are we kidding ourselves that this kind of abuse (leave racism out of the equation for these purposes) doesn't happen up and down the country every week? It's just that this was high profile and was caught on camera in decent definition? Crowds watch players screaming in the faces of referees and linesmen, cheating constantly, watching managers without any apparent self restraint etcetera. The whole idea of genuine respect seems foreign to so many people in the game. The ideas to promote respect generally in the sport have overwhelmingly failed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm confused, the guy is saying he has lost his job because of it but I don't see how he could have?

Regardless of the racism, the guy’s clearly an idiot. I wouldn’t want him working near me.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I feel sorry for Sterling, but for a really stark take on it I listened to H&J talk to a youth team manager who has had enough of it all. He said the racist abuse had got so much worse over the past 20 years and about how grandparents on the sidelines are chucking the 'n' word about.

On the pitch, he said players will use the same word to black opponents and even admit doing so to the ref without repercussions. Awful behaviour and the guy was saying that the local FA do - quite literally - FA about it!

So well done for RS for highlighting the issue, but it clearly runs right through the football pyramid. Depressing, isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I got a bollocking from the wife last season after the Huddersfield game, my son told her I was swearing a lot.

Nothing personal , racist or in anyway offensive to any religion or any other imaginary belief or micro cult.

However, if you play like a f***ing tw@t you'll get called one (Duffy on that day) or do something really stupid, it will make me say ohhh FFS!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There’s degrees. We all despise Palace and Zaha as much as you, I think a communal chant of wnkr is fine myself.

But some people massively overstep the mark. I used to sit in WSU G and an Albion fan (always aggressive, hateful, a know it all) shouted “f*ck off you Spanish c*nt” to David Lopez. People turned round and said that he was out of order. At h/t he disappeared and wasn’t seen for many matches after that, I assume banned.

Quite right too. But I'd add, in a controversial high-stakes game, and an opposition player is play acting and earns them a penalty they score...I dare say many more people would likely be hurling strong abuse like this with hardly anyone batting an eyelid because of the circumstances. So we must all recognise our own double standards before judging others.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
'Which he clearly did'?? I'm not sure that would stand up in court in a libel trial. Even the most expert lipreader would be very hard-pressed to tell the difference between 'black' and 'Manc'.If someone is willing to say on oath that they heard him say 'black,' then that's a different matter. Could Raheem Sterling say for sure? Probably he heard someone say it, but his back was to the accused man.

I'm guessing that he did say it but even if the police decide to prosecute, I would imagine that a decent lawyer will get him off.

https://lipreadingpractice.co.uk/Lip-Reading-Exercises/Consonants/m-p-b-sounds/

There is an L in Black and not Manc so no its not hard to lip read the difference.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here