Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Warm coat recommendations

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Arcteryx make some very warm well made jackets.

They’re a bit more expensive than North Face but better made and not every teenager in the world is wearing it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Parkas are the in thing apparently. I'm too tight to stretch to Canada Goose but my Lyle and Scott one is warm and certainly kept the rain out against Leicester where I was right at the front of the WSL for an hour taking photos of my son who was a mascot. Even some discounts on some sizes

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/men...523eb87a91e&istItemId=-xwwrtxmaar&istBid=tztx

I have got a Lyle & Scott parker, wore it for the first time this winter on Saturday and walked from Hove to Brighton and was uncomfortably sweating half way there, they are very snug

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
North Face McMurdo parka, waterproof and very,very warm, but not cheap. Bought mine a few years back for £170 in a sale, but just looked at www.cotswoldoutdoor.com and their price is £380.
This coat is quite heavy though, great for sitting or standing around watching football on a very cold day, but I wouldn't wear it on a five mile hike ( unless the temperature was well below zero)

Fjall Raven coats are also good, mine is waterproof and warm.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've got the seagulls bench coat from the Poyet era. I've only ever used it for football.

It's probably the second warmest coat ive ever owned but it's my go-to jacket for shite weather. I can just wear a t shirt underneath and be warm.

My warmest coat was given to to me by a student from Dubai that stayed at my parents for a year about 5 years ago. He was told it's cold over here so his parents bought him a Hugo Boss winter puffer jacket. Suitable for arctic conditions. He soon realised he didn't need it. Bought a coat from Debenhams and gave it to me when he left.

I still have it in my wardrobe. I wore it once up the pub, I only had s t-shirt on under it and was sweaty as ****. Far too hot for England.

I googled the label and it was a 750 quid coat. I can't wear it. It's far too hot. But I can't lob it away either.... so it's still hanging in the wardrobe unworn.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My Barbour coat has disappointingly not lasted too well (holes that needed patching, and 2 zips broken so far) and I'm reluctant to spend money on another one. I feel the cold a lot (damn arthritis) so am after a long coat that will keep out the cold and the wind as much as possible as well as being waterproof for going to football etc.

Anyone happy to recommend their coat?

Thanks NSC!

Carhartt all the way. Pricey but total quality and last a lifetime.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
One of these, surely? Good enough for Echo Base on planet Hoth.

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/starwars

EUUK_SW_CREW-UK

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've got the seagulls bench coat from the Poyet era. I've only ever used it for football.

It's probably the second warmest coat ive ever owned but it's my go-to jacket for shite weather. I can just wear a t shirt underneath and be warm.

My warmest coat was given to to me by a student from Dubai that stayed at my parents for a year about 5 years ago. He was told it's cold over here so his parents bought him a Hugo Boss winter puffer jacket. Suitable for arctic conditions. He soon realised he didn't need it. Bought a coat from Debenhams and gave it to me when he left.

I still have it in my wardrobe. I wore it once up the pub, I only had s t-shirt on under it and was sweaty as ****. Far too hot for England.

I googled the label and it was a 750 quid coat. I can't wear it. It's far too hot. But I can't lob it away either.... so it's still hanging in the wardrobe unworn.

Ebay it FFS.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is this “age appropriate” for you? :lolol:

Bloody cheek ! Judging by your photos of the amount of food you consume on the restaurant thread I suspect you might struggle to find a Superdry to fit :p

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I had a Superdry jacket . In wouldn’t have purchased it myself as I don’t like the brand but it was a freebie through work at the time. I liked the fit and the look of it. It was good in mild to cold weather and could deal with drizzle but heavy rain got through at the seams and it has an absolutely baffling amount of zips on it!
It was okay but it’s a high street brand and not serious outdoor clothing. I left it at my Step brothers house one Christmas and have not missed it. I’d still wear it on milder days though.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone - now to go and try them out where I can :)

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I always buy expensive coats second-hand off fleabay.

Last one was a mint condition Moncler. New price £1,000, got it for £380. Had three years fantastic service out of it but it's getting a bit small now, and I sold it for exactly £380 on fleabay whilst they had a "£1 Max. Selling Fee" offer on. So, I owned a £1,000 jacket for three years.. for a quid!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Unless you're in a climate which is well below freezing a lot of the time, Canada Goose is a bit pointless. People just buy them to "be seen" in a Canada Goose jacket.

It also annoys the animal rights protestors, which I guess is a positive or negative depending on your point-of-view!

I got mine while bumming about in Whistler, it was very much needed in the middle of a B.C Winter! I do wear it in London, even today when it is about +9 doesn't feel pointless being warm and toasty to me. If I get too hot, I unzip it slightly.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Just got a Rab Andes coat for the winter. Light weight and detachable hood. Very pleased with it.
Cotswold Outdoor is a good place in Brighton to try different ones on, I originally wanted a parka style but found after trying them on they were too bulky and heavy for me. You need to try on first as sizing is all over the place for winter jackets.
Got mine from here https://www.tauntonleisure.com/rab

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone - now to go and try them out where I can :)

After reading your opening post it sounds like you need a coat now, but I've always bought my coats in the summer and paid very good sale prices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here