Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Argus comments section

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Interesting speculation from one of the comments under the Argus’s ‘Albion Talking Point’ story.

‘The Albion accounts are out this week and they have apparently turned a profit for first time in about 20 years!

New hospitality areas and more seating is plannned but no dates for planning - this may be linked to the 6000 seater stadium next to the Amex for the ladies team.’

Can anyone shed any light or is this just rumour mongering? The first sentence has a semblance of feasibility about it but the second sentence is intriguing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interesting speculation from one of the comments under the Argus’s ‘Albion Talking Point’ story.

‘The Albion accounts are out this week and they have apparently turned a profit for first time in about 20 years!

New hospitality areas and more seating is plannned but no dates for planning - this may be linked to the 6000 seater stadium next to the Amex for the ladies team.’

Can anyone shed any light or is this just rumour mongering? The first sentence has a semblance of feasibility about it but the second sentence is intriguing.

Why on earth do we need a separate stadium for the ladies?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The land the other side of village way was originally earmarked for a possible relocation of Sussex cricket club in the early days of the Falmer plan. I guess if anywhere that’s where it would be?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why on earth do we need a separate stadium for the ladies?

There could be a number of reasons - one attendance at the women's games is not yet at a level that makes it viable to host them at the amex, hosting them at other clubs' grounds will come at a cost that, again, might not be worth it. It's another avenue for sponsorship, bringing more money into the club (I would hope to finance the women's team, but maybe it would go to the club overall), it could also be that it isn't being specifically built for the women's team, and will be used to host under 23s, possible sussex league fixtures, but would also, for the aforementioned reasons, also be used for the Women's team. Might there also be rumblings of highest academy ratings requiring a associated/dedicated stadium and it could serve that purpose?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Theres some weird rules that limit how many games they can play at the Amex. I guess ask the FA.

Really? I can understand there may have been some planning restriction as a sop to the inhabitants of Falmer village who have their lives ruined, but I wouldn't think having a second stadium would make that any better - it's still hoards of rampaging football fans invading their peaceful rural idyll. Better spend the money on a smart lawyer to get the ruling overturned, I would have thought.

Still, with a nice little 6000 seater stadium all ready for action, I suppose we'd at least be League 2 ready if and when the time comes that we slip down the leagues again!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The land the other side of village way was originally earmarked for a possible relocation of Sussex cricket club in the early days of the Falmer plan. I guess if anywhere that’s where it would be?

I wouldn't have thought so, hasn't that now been designated as part of the South Downs National Park?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
why cant the ladies play all of their home games at Lancing? It must have a large enough capacity surely.

Nope it hasn't got a big enough capacity. Surprised they don't play at Sussex FA down the road in Lancing.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Just like the Etihad, a second stadium (if ever built) would/will be used for all the age groups male and female - but will automatically become the home for the 23s and women

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Would it not be cheaper to lay a grass pitch there for their exclusive use in addition to the existing pitches.

Nope it hasn't got a big enough capacity. Surprised they don't play at Sussex FA down the road in Lancing.

The ladies did play at Culver Road (FA), which now has an artificial pitch.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The administrators of the Women's Super League need to be more flexible on things like minimum ground capacities and playing surfaces if their league is to survive. Top flight games played in front of a 700+ people is not sustainable and spectators will continue to drift away. I occasionally watch the WSL highlights on BBC1 after MoTD2 and the elephant in the room that is never mentioned in the commentary or by the pundits is the fact that there is virtually nobody there.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here