Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Russell Bishop GUILTY of 1986 Wild Park Murders.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
No doubt he will be in a special wing protected from other inmates with a nice cosy room with all the trimmings , makes me sick , i honestly hope somebody ends him .

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The only argument against is the possible errors but this can now be overcome by setting the date of execution 3 years after the sentence date in order to allow time for all appeals etc. Or sooner if the offender doesnt appeal.

The Birmingham Six were finally acquitted 16 years after conviction. The death penalty is nothing but society taking revenge, it is not a deterrent. Having said that, if someone slots Bishop, I'll not shed a tear.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The only argument against is the possible errors but this can now be overcome by setting the date of execution 3 years after the sentence date in order to allow time for all appeals etc. Or sooner if the offender doesnt appeal.

That is far from the only argument...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only argument against is the possible errors but this can now be overcome by setting the date of execution 3 years after the sentence date
:facepalm: No it can't. Some people are incorrectly found guilty, and the verdicts are not reversed within 3 years. I think of the Birmingham 6, but before posting I read the next couple of posts, and sure enough, someone else has posted it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Failure to deter
Not applied evenly
Human right to live
Actually increases capital crimes
High cost of carrying out capital punishment

You also say 3 years to avoid possible errors, but if you look at the Bishop case in reverse, and he had been found guilty when first tried, you would have had the state kill him some years ago, but the DNA evidence advances would have now proved his innocence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How so?
Surely the cost of capital punishment is less than the cost of providing for someone in prison for the rest of their lives?

Personally I'd have forced labour for prisoners, so they can contribute to society.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How so?
Surely the cost of capital punishment is less than the cost of providing for someone in prison for the rest of their lives?

Personally I'd have forced labour for prisoners, so they can contribute to society.

I recall reading previously that the States in the US that have the death penalty have higher rates than those that don't.

The cost of convicting and executing the Oklahoma City Bomber was over $13 million.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I recall reading previously that the States in the US that have the death penalty have higher rates than those that don't.
Yeah, probably higher rates while they're on death row, but surely the total cost over their lives is less.

The cost of convicting and executing the Oklahoma City Bomber was over $13 million.
Bringing the cost of conviction in, and for one isolated case, won't help compare.

It can't be cheaper to feed someone and keep them secure for 40/50 years than to execute them.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Failure to deter
Not applied evenly
Human right to live

You also say 3 years to avoid possible errors, but if you look at the Bishop case in reverse, and he had been found guilty when first tried, you would have had the state kill him some years ago, but the DNA evidence advances would have now proved his innocence.

Good deterent surely...Why does murderer have right to live ? The children he murdered had right to live taken from them and they were inocent.
Increases capital crimes ? how? why?
High cost ? Rope approx £10...50 years in jail at least £1m

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In USA they can give life until death why can we not do the same? . He could be out in 20 years unless the judge ordered it to be consecutive rather than concurrent..

Don't be absurd. He'll never be let out. His brass neck means 'personality disorder/ (psychopath). That will now be on his file. After X years he will get a review if he asks for one. A mate of mine did mental health reviews as part of his job. If you know your stuff you let them chat and they hang themselves metaphorically speaking. But that is if a review is even granted. And that's if he lasts that long....he'll be a marked man in the targets of all the self-rightous 'honourable' murderers in prison.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Birmingham Six were finally acquitted 16 years after conviction. The death penalty is nothing but society taking revenge, it is not a deterrent. Having said that, if someone slots Bishop, I'll not shed a tear.

I am not so sure that they were innocent but then I dont have all of the evidence to call on I think it could be down to more of a technical point than actual proof or the evidence offered was inconclusive, only 6 people know the answer.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
In USA they can give life until death why can we not do the same? . He could be out in 20 years unless the judge ordered it to be consecutive rather than concurrent..

No he can’t. It’s a minimum 36 years. That is the minimum he will serve by which time he is 88. Given he is already past the minimum sentence for his first crime by more than a decade you can rest assured he will not be coming out again.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I am not so sure that they were innocent but then I dont have all of the evidence to call on I think it could be down to more of a technical point than actual proof or the evidence offered was inconclusive, only 6 people know the answer.

Another reason you shouldn’t have the death penalty is you cannot ever be 100% sure someone is guilty. You can be 99.999999% sure but never 100%. I challenge you to show me a case where someone is 100% guilty. :)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

No, they were innocent. They had confessions beaten out of them by corrupt police officers. If you're going to question an acquittal, you'd be better off starting elsewhere.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What the actual ****?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Would an admission of guilt meet that %

No. They could be lying.

Feel free to come up with any specific case and I’ll tell you why they’re not 100% guilty, could be fun.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good deterent surely...Why does murderer have right to live ? The children he murdered had right to live taken from them and they were inocent.
Increases capital crimes ? how? why?
High cost ? Rope approx £10...50 years in jail at least £1m

Yes. Let's also chop the hands off thieves. Also, let's wash the mouths out of racists with carbolic soap.

On the other hand we could let the laws impose measured justice. We could also elect politicians who promise to change laws more to our line of thinking. Form a new party if you think the current lot are weak. I have listened to all this armchair eye-for-an-eyeism for more than 50 years now.....

It is so easy to sit on your arse on the sofa and demand an eye for an eye. And then you move on to Corrie and I'm a celeb....

:facepalm:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes. Let's also chop the hands off thieves. Also, let's wash the mouths out of racists with carbolic soap.

On the other hand we could let the laws impose measured justice. We could also elect politicians who promise to change laws more to our line of thinking. Form a new party if you think the current lot are weak. I have listened to all this armchair eye-for-an-eyeism for more than 50 years now.....

It is so easy to sit on your arse on the sofa and demand an eye for an eye. And then you move on to Corrie and I'm a celeb....

:facepalm:
Indeed. Also I presume nobody with that type of attitude has ever had any first hand experience of dealing with the police, the CPS and the court system recently. I could write a book.

British "justice" should NEVER be allowed to take a life. Even if you believe that it's morally correct, innocent people would die, as the system is HUGELY flawed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here