Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did you introduce your "significant other" to The Albion, or haven't you?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Took her to see us play Brentford at the goldstone c1993 or 1994. She said she'd never go again but I managed to get her to come to see us lose to Leicester in March. So I reckon she's good to come with me again in 2043.

Similar, Notts county play off 1991, Millwall at Amex 2012. She can't wait for 2033 !

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Boxing Day game at Withdean where we drew 0-0 with Orient was a particular lowlight for Mrs Orange. Last game she came to was the League Cup match v Gillingham first season at the Amex when she was about eight months pregnant with Junior Orange (does that count as his first match?).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I first took her to an away game at Halifax. I think it was Micky's first game as manager? We lost, she was bored but pleased to come with me.

I then took her to an away game at Rochdale. Family fun fact - I've been to more away games at Rochdale than any other ground, 4 and hopefully not still counting. She was bored.

I took her to one of our promotion celebrations at Shrewsbury. There was a bit of a crush by the fences on the terrace. She didn't like that much.

I took her to the Withdean once, 2-2 v Chesterfield I believe. She was pretty bored then too.

She came to the first game at the Amex v Donny. She enjoyed that one.

I've take her to a couple more at the Amex. She likes that me and our daughter like it. She absolutely can't stand the crowds and queues for the trains.

She absolutely hates footballers. Too much money, too boorish, all greed and no trousers. Or summat like that. She won't be swayed. But going to football matches or watching the games is the one thing i do that she won't get in the way of. Most of the time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
She hates football. 22 men running around kicking a ball blah blah blah........

Taken her to a couple of games over the years but she just sat there with a sour look on her face. Seem to remember one was Birmingham in the promotion season.

I don't understand how anyone can sit so impassively watching a game for so long. Her main contribution to football related conversation is that she thinks Pep Guardiola is nice looking.

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
The wife has never been to a game and probably never will. Most of her family hate the club these days, having grown up and lived in Falmer village since the 1950s. Doesn't stop me going though!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The wife has never been to a game and probably never will. Most of her family hate the club these days, having grown up and lived in Falmer village since the 1950s. Doesn't stop me going though!

Probably didn't help when we got the nod to proceed with Falmer, and you stripped off starkers & started dancing round the Reading room singing "footballs coming home, it's coming.."

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Never bothered. My wife isn't interested in football so I've not worried about trying to convert her. It would only spin my own enjoyment, worrying about whether or not she was bored/cold/fantasising over Bruno anyway.

My daughter on the other hand, she never stood a chance. Was dragged along to Withdean and hasn't looked back. She might be away studying these days but she's a Seagull through and through. Was sending happy messages left right and centre when we turned over Palace.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Away games at Crewe and Tranmere. She's never showed much interest since. Can't imagine why.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the misses has zero interest in football,which suits me fine

took her to a Grand Prix once,she seemed to enjoy the first 2 or 3 laps,then asked how many was left
I said about 60 odd,she didn't seem too impressed with that

did take a Brazilian girl once to the Goldstone
stood on the North Stand
terrible game against Plymouth around 90-91
scored a late winner so all was good

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

.... and helps with the parking! :D

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The Boxing Day game at Withdean where we drew 0-0 with Orient was a particular lowlight for Mrs Orange. Last game she came to was the League Cup match v Gillingham first season at the Amex when she was about eight months pregnant with Junior Orange (does that count as his first match?).

I'm sure Paul Barber will find a way of introducing an intra-uterine season ticket

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Mrs shoes has never shown any interest in coming to watch the Albion. Which I'm happy with. My son on the other hand loves it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Albion v Forest Green Rovers, Checkatrade Trophy, Monday 13th October 2003, 3,969 spectators at Withdean, Albion won 2-0, Jake Robinson's Albion debut - she fell asleep.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm sure Paul Barber will find a way of introducing an intra-uterine season ticket

What seems odd now for me looking back at the last few years of Withdean and where we are now at The Amex is that my boys were 3 and 6 and are now coming up 13 and 16! Their Albion journey started way back then and they've already experienced so much.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Took my (now) wife to her first Albion game - on my birthday weekend - to a game at Withdean which was always going to stretch the credibility of why I like watching the Albion anyway.

We played Walsall - she'd never heard of the place but then she's from North America. We played against 9 men for about an hour - we lost 1-0. She probably thought this guy is bonkers and his team are hopelessly pathetic. Mercifully she'll still come to a game at The Amex now and again.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
My wife, a Yorkshire lass by birth with no interest in football, has endured trips to Carlisle, Chesterfield, Grimsby and Hartlepool for the sake of love. She's never seen us win and Hartlepool was enough to put her off for life. She's never been again since. I know how to spoil a lady!!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How did you introduce your "significant other" to The Albion, or haven't you?

I’d known my wife for many years but hadn’t realised she liked football. I’d seen her younger sister at many games over the years, both home and away and knew her brother as a Villa fan.

Then in October 2003, a few weeks after deciding to split from my first wife, I saw her brother at Brentford when I entered the ground and he said she was there too. I stood with them through the 4-0 defeat and they gave me a lift home. She started coming to games with me and we went to the Play-Off final together. The next October, after we’d beaten Leeds at Withdean, we finally became a couple and haven’t looked back. She’s now also a season ticket holder.

I do have to miss the F.A. Cup 3rd round each year, though, as she won’t do football on her birthday and it’s always the nearest weekend.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
My other half is not a football fan.....often been asked how can that be! I had more football chats with his dad than him. He did come to Hudds at home last season - dire match, but emjoyed the pie and Harveys! He can now talk about the players and was recently asked by someone who he supported - out of his mouth came the words Brighton and Hove Albion! Drip feed.. drip feed.. Maybe by the time he has his 50th next year, he may be more of a convert (but doubt it!).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
2-2 against Sunderland at the Goldstone in about 1992. Last game of the season, and we went down. I have some recollection about something to do with us awarding a Sunderland player our 'Player of the Season' award, or the other way round. Or something odd like that.

Anyway, she came to quite a few matches after that, including some away trips. Then after we moved up north she stalwartly went to dire places like Hartlepool, Darlington, Blackpool, and others, as well as Carlisle (which is quite nice). Her last trip was to Burnley a few years back - but it was so cold, wet, and miserable that I haven't persuaded her to come along again. But she tolerates me watching us on streams every week - and always knows what the score was when I've been to a game.

el punal

Well bearing in mind our wonderful result of nearly a week ago, I took the future Mrs. Punal to the cesspit (aka Selhurst Park) to see us beat Palace 1-0 back in September (?)1975. We missed the goal as we were stuck in traffic like thousands of other Albion fans heading for the game. Anyway, she was hooked and went to as many games as possible from there on in. The highlight of that season was the return match at the Goldstone in February 1976 in front of 33,000+ and we won 2-0. :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here