Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did you introduce your "significant other" to The Albion, or haven't you?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mine was very simple, it would have been Oct ish 2000, a drizzly night in the South Stand at Withdean, a classic Albion 4 v 2 Hartlepool.

It all started earlier that day when a work colleague mentioned that I was going to Brighton. The future Mrs OW thought she'd like a night out in Brighton too, so I said no worries and sorted a ticket (it wasn't so hard then on a wet Tuesday evening).

As I picked here up I felt she hadn't quite understood the brief and suggested I wait whilst she changed from her "night out" gear into wellies, good waterproof coat, scarf and hat! Surprisingly we're now together and she's been to a couple of games since!

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Never been an issue. She ain't interested and thanks for that because in 25 years plus, the handful of games she has been to have all finished 0-0.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
was that the night a mysterious hole appeared on the pitch ?

all I really recall was the pitch being like an allotment and continual drizzle .... Mrs OW wasn't even GF at the time so how I managed to turn that around I'm not sure. Her next game, to put this into context, was Burnley at Home 0-1, two sendings off!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
New Year's Day 1985 at the Valley. We won 1-0. Think we went up on a Seagulls Special. Bloody Freezing. Then subsequently lived in Blackheath for a dozen or so years and actually helped clear the Valley when Charlton left Smellhurst. She's now a season-ticket holder. As Harry'd say "Luv her ta bits!"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mrs AR was initially introduced by a friend of her family, way back in the early 80's, travelling to the Goldstone in an old van from Hastings.
So not down to me, but our Albion paths met, so that karma IMO :bowdown:

PS: There were a few swoon moments then , all because of a certain Gary Williams.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Pleased that wife is not interested . Took daughter once and she spent whole time on her phone. It`s good time for me and two adult ST holding sons.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mrs G has been to a few Albion games with me - even though she's a Millwall supporter. Can't remember the first one - I think it was at Loftus Road on Boxing Day 2001 - but I do recall her coming down to Brighton on another very wet Boxing Day (no trains of course, so we caught a coach from London). We got absolutely soaked watching us stuff Wycombe 4-0 and got the coach straight back again.

I think that's what confirmed that she was definitely a keeper.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Pleased that wife is not interested . Took daughter once and she spent whole time on her phone. It`s good time for me and two adult ST holding sons.

With two teenage boys now I'm starting to think whether keeping their season tickets will be worth it as they leave for Uni etc but I think it will as they return, hopefully, and can drive me to the bloody football ;-)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Barnet 1997/98 season. Pissed down with rain. We were in the covered section fortunately.

Great chant mind: 'we're the dry side, we're the dry side, we're the dry' side Brighton Boys'... we're the wet side.....etc

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He followed (not really an avid fan) a Massive team, so we went to a game together in separate ends. A couple of weeks later, Brighton were playing PNE, and he was with me. We were 2-0 down but in the second half we pulled it back to 2-2 (courtesy of Rodger and Sidwell), and he realised he cared more about our result, than his 'own' team previously. He caught the passion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I took the Frau to the AMEX Pompey game, the one where Vicente single-handedly beat them. She was wined and dined in 1901, the official club florist had even left a bouquet of flowers on the table for her. She wasn’t that fussed. I then took her in the away end at another game; she seemed to enjoy the rowdy behavior much more even joining in with some emu “giving it all that” hand gestures. She will be at the Liverpool game; her third Albion game.

As an aside, after the Pompey game she suggested we buy more players like Vicente. A female friend who went to her first game shortly after asked “why does that blond bloke (CMS) keep falling over and complaining, why doesn’t he shot at the goal? They’re more astute than us, I tell you.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Took her to the Palllllllllace beam back, the 0-3 loss one! In Dicks, I cannot remember why but we had words after their third and she walked off in a huff. I'd like to think it was because "they" were winning and she felt the "pain" but was probably because I was sooo p*ssed off and she didn't quite "get it" some women eh?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
With two teenage boys now I'm starting to think whether keeping their season tickets will be worth it as they leave for Uni etc but I think it will as they return, hopefully, and can drive me to the bloody football ;-)

Mine few years ahead of yours .... Really glad we still have the three together, even though eldest lives away he comes to two thirds of games. Keep them if you can !! It is the one thing we enjoy together !!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mine few years ahead of yours .... Really glad we still have the three together, even though eldest lives away he comes to two thirds of games. Keep them if you can !! It is the one thing we enjoy together !!

I feel you're right, I've enough Albion mates around to treat to games whilst they're away and it'd be a nice to be together, if they're not playing footie, going forward.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Took her to see us play Brentford at the goldstone c1993 or 1994. She said she'd never go again but I managed to get her to come to see us lose to Leicester in March. So I reckon she's good to come with me again in 2043.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My husband has been to few games with me, but he does not get it. Gave up trying to convince him and I prefer to go on my own or with my daughter.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Took my girlfriend to see us capitulate against Justin Edinburgh's Newport County in the League Cup at the AMEX which lead to a bit of a gap to her next visit.

She did take up my dad's season ticket for a couple of months last year and managed to see us beat West Ham, Swansea and Arsenal.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
She was already a fan when we met, she use to go to the Goldstone on duty with SJAB and was a regular at the back of the NS standing on a box

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here