Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New Years Eve celebrations

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can take or leave it. If something sounds good I’ll go, if not I’m not fussed. Usually at friend’s houses as I don’t like crowds.
Are you into New Years Eve celebrations? Are you like me, indifferent? Or do you strap one on, dust off the dancing shoes, drink everything and go Bacchanalian for the night?
Where?
How?
With whom?

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Genuine question. Strap one what on?

Ha, it is a rude version of “tie one on” meaning to drink before the hangover is gone from Christmas. To tie one session onto another. I said strap on , like a strap on. It was funnier in my head.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Completely indifferent to NYE. One day it's December 31st, next day it's January 1st. Whoop-de-bloody-do.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As I've got older I've got less and less fussed about NYE. This year will be spent in rural France with Mrs W and Miss W along with some cheese and a decent red. I'll probably be in bed well before midnight ...... and probably without a strap-on !

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Have been " On Call" the last 2 years, so will have a beer or 3. Not that fussed to be fair, Christmas Eve always a better night for me

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Yeah I don't really give a shit about going out batshit crazy any more. Take the Mrs and kids out for a nice meal, stop by the local shrine to pay our new year respects, warm up by a fire there with a strong drink, then home to a bottle of wine.

At the age where we don't really bother but this year we will be cruising the indian ocean so I don't really know what to expect. It will be the middle of the afternoon here when any celebrations are happening on the ship.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For the last couple of years, I’ve spent NYE at my other half’s family home with her; her mum; her brother, his wife and their young kids; her sister and her baby; and her best friend and her baby. They hate each other, with my other half vainly struggling to keep the peace. Frankly, I preferred it when her mum hated me, and I was persona non grata. All that effort over a decade to persuade her family that I was an ok guy who only wanted the best for her daughter/sister, to be rewarded with a night of people shouting at each other, and witnessing my other half in tears as she tries to defuse yet another explosive family moment.

NYE can do one.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Worst night of the year; you have to PAY to get into a lot of pubs which are full of amateur drinkers who think shouting is fun.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Used to enjoy going out when you could do a pub crawl, but these days with paying to get in pubs or going to only one can’t be bothered. Probably couple of bottles of champagne spent at home watching Jules Holland.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It is beginning to dawn on me that NYE is actually my least favourite night of the year.

Agree.
It dawned on me years ago.Even as a young man, I never liked NYE, and now as an old git, I just ignore it and go to bed.
Anyway, the next day, the Christmas decorations come down in our house and my annual diet starts, so I am always pretty grumpy and the family ignore me!:D

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Used to enjoy going out when you could do a pub crawl, but these days with paying to get in pubs or going to only one can’t be bothered. Probably couple of bottles of champagne spent at home watching Jules Holland.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Used to be a very big night out up until my mid 20's - some of them were legendary looking back. Really though, other than New Years Eve 2006 in Prague with my then girlfriend, which was brilliant, I can't recall a good one in recent years and gave up on going out for it a long time time. Dinner round friends is about as exciting as it gets these days.

It always was just a giant piss up/excuse for one. I still don't get the celebration bit to it - Hooray! We can go out and pay to get into pubs, get ripped off by taxi drivers if we can get one because it's January, the weather's miserable, Christmas time is over, nobody's got any money and everybody's got to back to go back to work and is feeling depressed - do me a favour. :rolleyes:

I recall the late Spike Milligan being asked on TV in the 90's what he'd be doing to celebrate Millennium Eve and he replied 'Going to bed'. He had the right choice looking back.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here