Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] O/T - frying pans suitable for hob and oven

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
You know when you wish you hadn't asked a question? That.

There's no consensus in the replies, and I've been given three more options to be put into the mixer for consideration! :lol:

I've spent so much f'ing time trying to decide - I'm tempted to buy three of different types and see how I get on.

I know that cast iron, a la Forge, has a lot going for it: great heat retention, probably the best searing, evenness of temperature etc, but I'm not sure I can be arsed to deal with the seasoning and I'm worried about not being able to use acids in them - so no tomatoes, no wine-based sauces etc. Hmm. [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] what do you use for acid sauces/liquid cooking?

All clad look great and multi-purpose, with no restrictions on acids, but they're stainless, with all the disadvantages that comes with that material. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] - how non-stick is your le creuset casserole (not that I'm looking for true non-stick, but my experience with s/s is that it sticks badly)? Also, can you get a decent caramelised layer on meats/fish?

Pro hardened anodised? Searing? Really? Also, I don't know a pro chef who uses them - why not? But - tempting due to superior out of the box non-stickability.

FFS.

PS I notice that [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] popped onto the thread to give me a thumbs up and promptly buggered off again. Sensible man. :lol:

Sorry, just having a quick browse before starting work--utilising aforementioned frying pans... No poussin in my place I'm afraid, it's all turkey this time of year.
Professionally, we use a lot of Tefal stuff. They're durable, easy to clean and economic for a fledgling business like ourselves. Not particularly glamorous, but I like them, the ones we have are called Duetto.
We've also inherited/robbed a couple of Le Creuset pans, no less effective, they look dead smart too.
Anyway, good luck with the poussin, did you spatchcock it first?!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Say I want a new 10”-12” frying pan that I can pan colour (for example) a poussin on an induction hob before transferring the pan to the oven. Say further that I want a good, rich fond - and that I can then make a decent pan sauce with low levels of stick. Say I’d like to be able to do a tarte tatin in the same pan.

Do I go for cast iron, say a Solidteknics aus-ion? A stainless steel ply, say an All Clad, or a Mauviel M’Cook, or a Vollrath? 3-, 5-, or 7-ply? Carbon steel, say De Buyer, or Lodge? Or a ceramic non-stick, say a Scanpan CTX?

Amongst the piss-taking, who knows - I might get a sensible answer or two!

Whooooosh - I had to duck as all that was going over my head.

When I moved into a new apartment about 2 years ago, it was brand new and I called out an Electrician because the hobs wouldn't work and got charged £65 plus VAT call out fee, only to be told. ''Its and induction hob and you nee to have compatible pots and pans. - They didn't have such issues cooking in ''Im a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here''

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I would love to know if anybody has ever posted an enquiry about a frying pan for colouring a poussin on, say, a Burnley or Middlesbrough fans forum.

No, not for colouring a poussin. But a good all-round frying pan for everyday battering, most definately. Usually, for battering their other half.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Pro cook do some good pots n pans etc. They have a shop in Ditchling garden centre. Might be worth a look if you're fairly local.

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I have and still use 'tefal ingenio' non stick frying pans and saucepans that have a removable handle. The original one is ten years old and has only recently started to be less than perfect at the non stick bit.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Le Crueset . . . .still have and use a frying pan my parents had when I was a kid, my mum gave it to me when I bought my first flat in '92.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Berndes have a range of oven/induction pans. I have a couple including a 20cm fryer, with detached handle. They work for me.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here