Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Taxi driver takes passenger passport

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
As others have said, it's not legitimate collateral, the taxi driver is not allowed to keep it, it belongs to the government.

That's debatable, and if fair then so is the removal of the payment for the inconvenience the OP has had by the driver not showing up.

If the original bill is paid and he doesn't return the passport, that's theft.

Also, when the lad didn't have the cash in the first place, I don't suppose the driver agreed an extra charge for having to collect the payment later. It's a fine he's added on top without any legal standing.

Def didn`t steal it, Lad new he had taken it. It`s not a fine. it`s paying for taxi to get his fare and give passport back.

However yes "If the original bill is paid and he doesn't return the passport, that's theft". But the driver only took it as collateral re him being owed fare surely with no intention of keeping it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wouldn't pay a penny more than £10. If he doesn't return the passport, I'd report him to the police for theft, he has no legal right to hold onto it.

However yes "If the original bill is paid and he doesn't return the passport, that's theft". But the driver only took it as collateral re him being owed fare surely with no intention of keeping it.
:shrug:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
1) It isn't irrelevant.
2) It wasn't provided as collateral. It was provided as proof of ID, and the driver held onto it without permission.

What? I said that whether an extra charge was reasonable or not was debatable. That's nothing to do with if the driver doesn't return the passport, which he has to.

This whole discussion is based on what might happen. If they pay the £10 and the driver returns the passport, of course there's no theft. If he doesn't return it however, then that is theft. It can't be collateral for a fee which has been paid, and also can't be collateral for a fine which has not been agreed.

1) It is. We can go back and forth on this all day if you like but I’m sure we’ve both got better things to do.
2) Debateable. I don’t imagine the lad in question was in any question why the taxi driver was withholding the passport. If he wasn’t I doubt he would have left the cab.

3) Must admit I’ve slightly lost track if what either of us were getting at with this point.

4) That might be what you were thinking - but not what you’ve written. The way the post read was that if he didn’t give the passport back at the offer of £10 then report it to police. If the agreement is made that £10 is acceptable, £10 has changed hands and the passport is not forthcoming then that obviously becomes very different.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Latest is he didn't turn up. Spoke over the phone. After a chuckle, He said he was ill. Now contacting police, council and Brighton Hackney organisation.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Totally unbelievable!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wouldn’t happen with Uber.

In all seriousness, shitty situation. Was he defo a legit taxi? And was the driver the licensed driver ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Latest is he didn't turn up. Spoke over the phone. After a chuckle, He said he was ill. Now contacting police, council and Brighton Hackney organisation.
What a ****.

Ill, but couldn't send a text :rolleyes:

I'd report him, but it seems others may disagree.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Did you not offer to go over and collect it from where he is? On the basis of what he has now done, did you tell him you were reporting the matter to the authorities. Also, try and record any conversation you have with him

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Yep offered to go to his and pick up the passport but he quickly changed subject. I told him I will have to report him to police and his reply was "F*** you and F*** the police" repeated a few times...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yep offered to go to his and pick up the passport but he quickly changed subject. I told him I will have to report him to police and his reply was "F*** you and F*** the police" repeated a few times...

Well I was team taxi but unlike Brexit, I've switched sides.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Brighton cabbie takes a man’s cat ‘hostage’ for unpaid fare.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Brighton cabbie takes a man’s cat ‘hostage’ for unpaid fare.

Wtf is the bloke doing taking a taxi without the means to pay for it. Can clearly hear the taxi driver telling him to go get the money but the cat owner has no intention to pay.

This unfortunately is a regular occurrence as a taxi driver. Theft imo.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He’s a cat burglar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here