Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End of the line for Locadia

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Please ....... explain to us exactly what Plan B is, then, if there is one.

I have an issue with the idea of plan a, b etc with football. I think the approach and tactical complexities of competing team games don't really allow for plans and more a variety of approaches and tactics etc. I'm not claiming we have a plan b or to know what that plan b is. I'm providing a possible explanation for why we'd sign someone who isn't as good as Murray at playing the game the way Murray plays it. Why we might sign someone for whom heading is not a particular strength.

My point is people criticise a lack of plan B. It should go without saying that a plan B should be different to plan A. It also helps to have a plan C as well. A whole alphabet of them if possible. But alternative plans can often need alternative personnel. Couple that with a manager and recruitment team who will talk about signing players who 'give us something different' (often so that they can provide the options of alternate plans). With those aims in mind, we're going to look at strikers who offer alternatives to Murray. Signing a striker who, as Mo G was suggesting, was just like Murray would be counter productive to those aims. It also can mean signing a player who, while having strengths Murray doesn't have, will have weaknesses Murray doesn't. (e.g. heading a ball admittedly not being a strength).

I would also point back to where I mention that I'm not saying Locadia is a the right man to provide what the above is looking for. It may have been the intention when signing him, but it hasn't worked out (...yet?).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Albion signed Locadia. Nobody knows what position he plays, but it doesn't seem to be a role we have available in our team. As a result, his rare cameos are unlikely to be in his favoured position, whatever that may be. So he looks uncertain, makes mistakes and suffers criticism. Must admit, I struggle with unfamiliar tasks when asked to do them only once every few weeks. I don't see how he can ever fit in, because clearly his strengths aren't our weaknesses, so he is doomed to failure.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How many of his critics have seen him and the team on the training field? I am prepared to stick with CH patience and view.

I had been saying that for a while but have finally concluded he simply isn't good enough. I hope I'm proved wrong but he doesn't seem the type of striker who will either create his own chances or take one of very few that are presented to him. That said, I agree that the only reason we ever see him at all is probably his ability and attitude on the training ground and that is worth something - certainly a lot more than the words in a small Dutch online article where he vents his frustration.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Albion signed Locadia. Nobody knows what position he plays, but it doesn't seem to be a role we have available in our team. As a result, his rare cameos are unlikely to be in his favoured position, whatever that may be. So he looks uncertain, makes mistakes and suffers criticism. Must admit, I struggle with unfamiliar tasks when asked to do them only once every few weeks. I don't see how he can ever fit in, because clearly his strengths aren't our weaknesses, so he is doomed to failure.

It’s happened through the ages. You sign a playing hoping they can adapt to your team, but it doesn’t always work out. Some players only shine in a particular team playing a particular way.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s happened through the ages. You sign a playing hoping they can adapt to your team, but it doesn’t always work out. Some players only shine in a particular team playing a particular way.

This. CMS.

CH is still trying to find the role for Locadia and probably too soon to cut our losses.

But Locadia might ask to leave anyway.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This. CMS.

CH is still trying to find the role for Locadia and probably too soon to cut our losses.

But Locadia might ask to leave anyway.

You can think of loads over the years, Liverpool seem to be pretty good at it in the recent past, having spent nearing £90m on Andy Carroll and Christian Benteke. :eek:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I had been saying that for a while but have finally concluded he simply isn't good enough. I hope I'm proved wrong but he doesn't seem the type of striker who will either create his own chances or take one of very few that are presented to him.
In one of his very few appearances this season he got a chance and did take it. It was then incorrectly ruled out for offside.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes it's his job, but it is only ever going to be either him or Glenn for that one starting role up front, and do you really see Chris Hughton dropping him when he is l,eading the line so well and scoring the vast majority of our goals? I certainly don't.

Thereby lies that problem, is Locadia ever going to get that run of games? maybe not.

Well, he had the opportunity on Saturday to stake his claim for a starting place. He failed to take it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I have an issue with the idea of plan a, b etc with football. I think the approach and tactical complexities of competing team games don't really allow for plans and more a variety of approaches and tactics etc. I'm not claiming we have a plan b or to know what that plan b is. I'm providing a possible explanation for why we'd sign someone who isn't as good as Murray at playing the game the way Murray plays it. Why we might sign someone for whom heading is not a particular strength.

My point is people criticise a lack of plan B. It should go without saying that a plan B should be different to plan A. It also helps to have a plan C as well. A whole alphabet of them if possible. But alternative plans can often need alternative personnel. Couple that with a manager and recruitment team who will talk about signing players who 'give us something different' (often so that they can provide the options of alternate plans). With those aims in mind, we're going to look at strikers who offer alternatives to Murray. Signing a striker who, as Mo G was suggesting, was just like Murray would be counter productive to those aims. It also can mean signing a player who, while having strengths Murray doesn't have, will have weaknesses Murray doesn't. (e.g. heading a ball admittedly not being a strength).

I would also point back to where I mention that I'm not saying Locadia is a the right man to provide what the above is looking for. It may have been the intention when signing him, but it hasn't worked out (...yet?).

I reiterate my main point that we base a lot of our survival in the PL down to the fact that we are solid defensively and in Murray and the CB's we have players who are strong in the air and very good at clearing our lines. It is also clear that we rely heavily on set pieces to cause problems to opponents. Although Andone scored with his head at Huddersfield, I am not convinced that he is a dominant header of the ball. None of our midfielders pose any aerial threat and it seems that we are significantly weakened when Murray doesn't start. Locardia, by his own admission and by the evidence of our own eyes is not a good header of the ball.
Andone is the alternative to Murray. Smaller, quicker, more mobile and very self assured and confident, despite a lack of game time. CH has to wrap Murray up in cotton wool. He simply won't last, if he doesn't and he has to be looking at a successor in the near future. Aerial power is essential to future success and we have to find another option to Locardia. Fine, if he is lightning quick, with good touch and a natural goalscorer but on the evidence I have seen, I don't believe he is the answer. I sincerely hope to be proved wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, he had the opportunity on Saturday to stake his claim for a starting place. He failed to take it.
You make it sound like the club are a generous benefactor doing him a favour (by playing him, rather than paying him). Right now Murray and Andone are ahead of Locadia, but he's there should the club need him at some point. Chris picks players because it helps the club, not as a favour to the players.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Would put both Aaron Connolly or Richie Towell above him.

Won't be sad to see Locadia move on. Wouldn't get another chance from me. The interview he did with the Dutch media sealed his fate regardless of how poor his performances have been.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
shame, but sometimes it does not work out. Would love to see Connolly given a chance. U never know might just hit it straight off as full of confidence.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
JL will be with us all season, Bloom paid 14million ? for him- we wont let him go lightly , I suspect we may never play to his strengths but he is a squad member for this season no matter how much he frustrates me and others

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Right now Murray and Andone are ahead of Locadia, but he's there should the club need him at some point.

Then let's all keep everything crossed that we don't bloody need him at some point.

I have seen nothing from Locadia that suggests he is anywhere close to Hemed; madness to let Tomer go. I would rather we gave the kid a go than give a player who has already flopped at every opportunity he has been given and has started whining that he wants to leave, another chance.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Win some, lose some. Locadia is sadly looking like a waste of money but then Andone looks a steal at £5m, swings and roundabouts.

Andy Carroll is in the last year of his contract with WHU unlikely to offer a new deal apparently. Amazingly only 29, if on a free and on a pay as you play contract then that would be a no brainer for me.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
JL will be with us all season, Bloom paid 14million ? for him- we wont let him go lightly , I suspect we may never play to his strengths but he is a squad member for this season no matter how much he frustrates me and others

In fairness, it took about 10 games for us to realise that we had to play the ball into space to utilise Izquierdo correctly. And that was when he was starting games... so Locadia really doesn’t stand a chance with his current profile and match time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If a £ 14M player can't force his way into the team in almost a year, it's time to cut our losses. If we can find anybody in the Championship - or even League 1 - willing to take him on a half season loan I suspect there will be plenty of Albion supporting car owners willing to do the necessary!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here