Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End of the line for Locadia

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Indeed. And it's long been clear that Locadia isn't his "let's shake things up a bit" option, he's more the "nothing left but a desperate roll of the die" bloke.

CH must've seen so nothing in him, or was he just an expensive striker options, when we had all that 'where's the new striker coming from', after that tosser from Spuds decided to do a u turn!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He should have tried to score with mouth, seems b** enou** ....sorry he had a chance to do the business today ...and mucked it up ...and I am rarely critical of an individual player

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
How many gilt-edged chances, of the like Locadia spurned today, have those strikers missed this term? Please tell us.

FWIW:
Chris Wood has scored 1 out of his 21 shots this season.
Barnes 2 of 12.
Vokes 3 of 21.
Murray 8 of 20.
How many of those chances were "gilt edged". Unfortunately nope. . No database seems to offer that up as a category.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How many of those chances were "gilt edged". Unfortunately nope. . No database seems to offer that up as a category.

I suspect the definition of gilt-edged would be different depending on ones perspective, too. Some wanting to defend Locadia might point to Gross's penalty against Fulham, or Knockaert against Liverpool that he screwed wide. Others wanting to criticise him would probably argue penalties don't count because there's a keeper to beat, Knockaert isn't a striker so shouldn't be expected to score from 12 yards out with a clear view of goal, that the players had just run the length of the pitch counter attacking v wolves and still had a keeper to beat, so those breakaway chances don't count, besides, AJ is a winger, getting the ball caught under his feet is perfectly acceptable excuse for not scoring from a great (though not gilt-edged, because tired from the run, remember) opportunity

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I saw him last time he had 90min at Old Trafford and he was very good. Will reserve judgement until he has had 3/4 starts

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
To be fair to Locadia, and I don't know if this came across on the streams or the radio - but he did try making quite a few runs off the shoulders of the defenders, and then had to check back because no-one played it through to him. Just one through ball in front of him might change our views.

Shocking miss with his head though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
What about the Premier League's very own "Big Chances Missed' stat? Fortunately I don't think we'll be giving Locadia his chance to truly shine in this table > https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

Well on that one for the benefit of everyone else who doesn't want to scroll through 8 pages - Gross and Locadia both have 2 , Bissouma, Duffy, Andone all have 1.
Vokes doesn't make the list, Wood 2 and Barnes 1.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair to Locadia, and I don't know if this came across on the streams or the radio - but he did try making quite a few runs off the shoulders of the defenders, and then had to check back because no-one played it through to him. Just one through ball in front of him might change our views.

Agree with this too. His work rate off the ball was actually as good as we've seen from him I suspect, and he was no worse than Andone was today in this regard. The whole team just didn't quite click today. As you say, those missed runs and final balls wouldn't come off.

Sadly for all of Locadia's improved effort and performance I am afraid I have now given up on him offering genuine competition up front. He's £17m jizzed up the wall I'm afraid as he's just not good enough.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Agree with this too. His work rate off the ball was actually as good as we've seen from him I suspect, and he was no worse than Andone was today in this regard. The whole team just didn't quite click today. As you say, those missed runs and final balls wouldn't come off.

Sadly for all of Locadia's improved effort and performance I am afraid I have now given up on him offering genuine competition up front. He's £17m jizzed up the wall I'm afraid as he's just not good enough.

Andone wasn't fed right though - we kept putting them up in the air for him and he wasn't going to win any of those. Murray came on and won most headers he had. And that's what's quite frustrating sometimes; when we don't play to the strengths we have.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair to Locadia, and I don't know if this came across on the streams or the radio - but he did try making quite a few runs off the shoulders of the defenders, and then had to check back because no-one played it through to him.

Perhaps that was because they doubted his ability to do anything if they did? Don't know, just asking.............

Let's be honest, though - he really hasn't impressed so far, has he? Let's give him a run out in the U23s/U21s or whatever, as an over-age player, and try Connolly/Gyokeres on the bench and as an impact sub. Surely that's what the youth teams are for, and let's face it, either of those youngsters might have done at least as well; maybe better.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

This is what gets me. I mean, a striker who is crap at headers and admits so. Why’ve we bought a £17m Pilot that doesn’t like flying? Seems very odd...

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Locadia needs a loan where he can play regularly and we need another striker on the bench, one who can preferably use his head. I’m not sure I want to give up on him entirely, but right now he is not cutting it...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As Stat Brother said: Scapegoat needed, apply within.

I have fully backed him, called for patience on here, and expressed my opinion that CH should give him more game time.

Not now though. I would have hit the target with that header, mind I was always pretty good in the air, but so would many, many Sunday league footballers. I know anyone can let slip a rubbish one once in a blue moon, but how long do we wait to see some quality or even promise. Time to cut both our, and his, losses. Out on loan in Jan and see what occurs is my opinion.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He hasn’t scored in 16 appearances which at first glance is shocking, however how many minutes has he actually played?
Personally until he has a run of three or four games of at least 60 minutes or so you can’t really comment on his worth.

how long did it take Andone to make an impression?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
I suspect he earns in excess of £2,000,000 per season, should be able to head the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here