Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End of the line for Locadia

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've seen him score 3 goals for us - how is that flopping at every opportunity?

Well one was against Coventry, and was the only chance he took, from four excellent opportunities presented to him. One bounced in off him from two feet, against Swansea, in a game long since over and done.

And the other, as good as didn't happen. Its as much a goal, as one scored in his back garden.

Hang out the bunting.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Win some, lose some. Locadia is sadly looking like a waste of money but then Andone looks a steal at £5m, swings and roundabouts.

Andy Carroll is in the last year of his contract with WHU unlikely to offer a new deal apparently. Amazingly only 29, if on a free and on a pay as you play contract then that would be a no brainer for me.

Brainless, not a no brainer. Carroll's body is shot to pieces now and he'll struggle to get another contract anywhere in the Premier League.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don’t use stats to win an argument on here. That’s just ludicrous.
I apologise.

Like most, I'm also concerned it won't work out for him here. Locadia hasn't looked great when I've seen him, but to be fair he's hardly had any game time because Murray has been doing the business since he's been back, and since Andone has had a great start he might not get much time. So although I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work out, let's at least wait and see. A lot of players who go on to do well don't have the best starts. I seem to remember Andy Cole having chance after chance after chance at Utd until he eventually started producing the goods.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Counting the West Ham 'goal'?
Yep.

If we're discussing a player's ability, what matters is what they've done, not what a ref subsequently does.

Otherwise it'll be like turning to your mate at a match and saying 'wow did you see that goal?' and them replying 'I don't know, I'm waiting for the VAR to tell me if I did or not'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep.

If we're discussing a player's ability, what matters is what they've done, not what a ref subsequently does.

Otherwise it'll be like turning to your mate at a match and saying 'wow did you see that goal?' and them replying 'I don't know, I'm waiting for the VAR to tell me if I did or not'.

So you're using a goal that wasn't given to highlight Locadia isn't as bad as people are saying? Could I just point out that his laziness in failing to track back cost us a goal (and therefore the match) at Stadio della dogshit last season?

Or shall we just stick to the unequivocal fact that he has just TWO goals to his name, and one of those was against a team playing in division FOUR?

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I accept Locadia hasn't had too many chances thus far but neither has he done much to force his way into the team either. He hasn't looked massively 'up for it' when he has come on and when his big chance against Burnley came and went, he reminded us all that by his own admission, he cannot head the ball, which is a bt of a limitation in a team that plays wingers and likes to get crosses in.

I dont think he is a bad player or a flop...just not really suited for our set-up or preferred way of playing. Better for both parties to move on this one IMHO.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Would put both Aaron Connolly or Richie Towell above him.

Won't be sad to see Locadia move on. Wouldn't get another chance from me. The interview he did with the Dutch media sealed his fate regardless of how poor his performances have been.

Yes, that was not the brightest move. He may well be understandably frustrated at his lack of game time, but to publicise it in such a manner was foolhardy -what should the fans make of it? On other occasions, a footballer will tell you that what belongs in the dressing room, stays there, and he broke that unwritten rule. As to whether he will come good, I really don't know and can see all sides - he hasn't exactly shone when called upon, but, to be fair, a run of games might just increase his sharpness. He might not be released in January, unless we get another striker, as, if, say, GM were to be injured, then Andone would be the only other realistic option.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So you're using a goal that wasn't given to highlight Locadia isn't as bad as people are saying?
I'm simply sticking to the facts, and including a goal that was incorrectly disallowed as part of the evidence that he hasn't missed every chance. It's not his fault the officials got it wrong.

Could I just point out that his laziness in failing to track back cost us a goal (and therefore the match) at Stadio della dogshit last season?
Sure you can.

Or shall we just stick to the unequivocal fact that he has just TWO goals to his name, and one of those was against a team playing in division FOUR?
You can berate Gross for being offside against Leicester too if you like. I mean, he wasn't actually offside, but he was given offside, so go with that if it suits your agenda.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I accept Locadia hasn't had too many chances thus far but neither has he done much to force his way into the team either. He hasn't looked massively 'up for it' when he has come on and when his big chance against Burnley came and went, he reminded us all that by his own admission, he cannot head the ball, which is a bt of a limitation in a team that plays wingers and likes to get crosses in.

I dont think he is a bad player or a flop...just not really suited for our set-up or preferred way of playing. Better for both parties to move on this one IMHO.

Yes, this is what seems so strange -we have a plethora of decent wingers and one of our strikers admits his heading is not good. His honesty might be admired, but it does seem very odd.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm simply sticking to the facts, and including a goal that was incorrectly disallowed as part of the evidence that he hasn't missed every chance. It's not his fault the officials got it wrong.
Surely the actual stats that count are his goals scored? Poor decisions happen every game, but you'd like to think the good ones eventually even out the bad ones. In this instance, you are happy to make reference to him scoring 3 goals, but the devil is in the detail: one was against a lower league side and the other one wasn't given in error. I'd say they kind of even each other out and you could therefore argue his record is as comparable as if he had scored 2 legitimate *league* goals.

Sure you can.
Triffic. I'm not really a fan of glory boys who don't do the graft. That's why personally I have time for Solly March.

You can berate Gross for being offside against Leicester too if you like. I mean, he wasn't actually offside, but he was given offside, so go with that if it suits your agenda.
Weird post.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Surely the actual stats that count are his goals scored? Poor decisions happen every game, but you'd like to think the good ones eventually even out the bad ones. In this instance, you are happy to make reference to him scoring 3 goals, but the devil is in the detail: one was against a lower league side and the other one wasn't given in error. I'd say they kind of even each other out and you could therefore argue his record is as comparable as if he had scored 2 legitimate *league* goals.

Triffic. I'm not really a fan of glory boys who don't do the graft. That's why personally I have time for Solly March.

Weird post.

You are becoming like him with all this multi quoting.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely the actual stats that count are his goals scored? Poor decisions happen every game, but you'd like to think the good ones eventually even out the bad ones.
No, when you're trying to judge a player you look at how they perform. While decisions good and bad may eventually even out, as you say, they don't over just a few games, which is all he's had.

In this instance, you are happy to make reference to him scoring 3 goals, but the devil is in the detail: one was against a lower league side and the other one wasn't given in error. I'd say they kind of even each other out and you could therefore argue his record is as comparable as if he had scored 2 legitimate *league* goals.
I'd say you look at them as they were - you take into account that one was against a lower league side, as it's relevant. I don't sing his praises, I've always posted that I'm concerned he's not right for us, but in response to someone saying he never takes his chances, I'd say he has a few times, and it's not like he's had many.

Triffic. I'm not really a fan of glory boys who don't do the graft.
Nor is Hughton, and I'm sure Locadia knows that.

Weird post.
Not at all. Are you judging Gross on the decision given, or how he performed?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
All is not lost for him, he has improved in recent games. He just needs to look at the work rate, determination and tenacity of the two players ahead of him. Its not going to be gifted to him even if he crys to a dutch newspaper, he has to work for it (that really pissed me off that he did that). If he does the goals will start coming he does have some talent I just feel it has been a bit too easy for him in his career so far he got offered a professional contract with PSV at 18. Also if you have a player in your team that can't head the ball well then dont keep putting in crosses that high to him. Thierry Henry early in his career he couldnt head the ball he only scored 8 for Arsenal in his entire time there so we shouldn't fixate on that weakness. He is a different kind of player to Murray and Andone that is actually a strength if he decides to fight for his place.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
All is not lost for him, he has improved in recent games. He just needs to look at the work rate, determination and tenacity of the two players ahead of him. Its not going to be gifted to him even if he crys to a dutch newspaper, he has to work for it (that really pissed me off that he did that). If he does the goals will start coming he does have some talent I just feel it has been a bit too easy for him in his career so far he got offered a professional contract with PSV at 18. Also if you have a player in your team that can't head the ball well then dont keep putting in crosses that high to him. Thierry Henry early in his career he couldnt head the ball he only scored 8 for Arsenal in his entire time there so we shouldn't fixate on that weakness. He is a different kind of player to Murray and Andone that is actually a strength if he decides to fight for his place.

Well said. I totally agree with you Mr Hughton.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't believe he is particularly happy at the albion, and no doubt his agent is looking around for moves away.

Unfortunate, really. I don't think he's had much of a chance, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

If that chap from Alcorcon is actually anything more than an unsubstantiated rumour then Jurgen is gone.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Whereas I agree with everyone who is saying "wait, he hasn't had a run of games yet", I firmly believe the counter to that is straight forward. He has had limited chances, yes, but he hasn't taken a single one of them.

At this club, at level which can expect players to be 1) Up for it; 2) A team player; and 3) A Natural. Yesterday showed has is 1). However, crying to the Dutch press puts 2) in question and the missed sitter puts 3) very much in doubt.

Ultimately, I would expect all our 1st team players to be knocking in the easiest of goals when they are absolutely served up on a plate. Failure to get the basics right can't be excused by lack of game time. These are professional athletes and really should be match fit/ready whenever they make the 18.

He may be a great footballer, but the investment in him (cash paid so far and games sacrificed to give him the run that people seem to think he needs) just isn't worth it IMHO.

Loan in Jan, sale in the summer. Chalk it up as the one we got wrong.

I agree with all of this apart from the last paragraph. Locadia is never going to go on loan to the championship or similar in my opinion. The narcissistic whining he has made suggests to me that he thinks he should be starting every game despite his work rate, eye for goal, footballing intelligence and heading being light years behind Murray and Andone. In his own mind he's a natural replacement for Ronaldo at Real and a loan at say Forest will result in more strolling around, sulking and a paucity of goals or simply a refusal to go.

Until the penny drops that he has to work on his weaknesses - like heading the effing thing - and that he has to work hard to succeed here it will end up in disappointment for all of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here