Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End of the line for Locadia

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's not just a missed sitter away to Burnley with Locadia- he turned me into a newt. (I got better.)

dribbble.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree that there is no chance of Locadia becoming our number ten. That is Pascale Gross's role, and he is very much one of the first names on Chris Hughton's team sheet. If he doesn't play there then that role would go to Andone or March, or even Davy Propper who occupies that position for the Netherlands.

As I mentioned on a thread a while ago, it may well have been felt by the club, that we wouldn't be seeing nearly as much of Glenn in the starting eleven this season, so they formulated another way of playing that would have accommodated Locadia, unfortunately for him, it hasn't turned out that way.
To be honest, it felt to me to be a bit of a panic buy at the time.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
A year in which he has played so few games. Not the club's fault perhaps with Glenn playing so well, but without a run of games no one will ever be sure whether he is up to Premier League football or not.

It's Catch 22 l guess.

Surely, it should be his aim to force his way into the team. All this “not given a chance” doesn’t wash. It’s his job.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Surely, it should be his aim to force his way into the team. All this “not given a chance” doesn’t wash. It’s his job.

Yes it's his job, but it is only ever going to be either him or Glenn for that one starting role up front, and do you really see Chris Hughton dropping him when he is l,eading the line so well and scoring the vast majority of our goals? I certainly don't.

Thereby lies that problem, is Locadia ever going to get that run of games? maybe not.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think Chris Hughton will know exactly what's happening with him, no matter how much we pontificate. If he really thinks he's just struggling to settle, but is a quality player - he'll give him more time.

If he thinks he's crap - he'll be on the first EasyJet flight back to the Netherlands with a big 'For Sale' sign on his arse.

ej.jpeg

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Wasn’t it Hughton that signed Dutch flop Ricky Van Wolfswinkel?

He’s got previous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'll give him one more chance and then he can do one

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Whereas I agree with everyone who is saying "wait, he hasn't had a run of games yet", I firmly believe the counter to that is straight forward. He has had limited chances, yes, but he hasn't taken a single one of them.

At this club, at level which can expect players to be 1) Up for it; 2) A team player; and 3) A Natural. Yesterday showed has is 1). However, crying to the Dutch press puts 2) in question and the missed sitter puts 3) very much in doubt.

Ultimately, I would expect all our 1st team players to be knocking in the easiest of goals when they are absolutely served up on a plate. Failure to get the basics right can't be excused by lack of game time. These are professional athletes and really should be match fit/ready whenever they make the 18.

He may be a great footballer, but the investment in him (cash paid so far and games sacrificed to give him the run that people seem to think he needs) just isn't worth it IMHO.

Loan in Jan, sale in the summer. Chalk it up as the one we got wrong.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I think we have 3 clear realistic options.

1) Carry on as we are and hope he comes good / takes a chance / forces his way in on form.
2) Sell in January.
3 Loan to an upper championship club in the hope he scores a hat full of goals and they are in the playoff or better,then we reevaluate at the end of the season - ether sell in the summer or keep as potential first choice in the team ready for 2019/20.

Option 3 is the only way we could ever hope to get more than 3m back.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Whereas I agree with everyone who is saying "wait, he hasn't had a run of games yet", I firmly believe the counter to that is straight forward. He has had limited chances, yes, but he hasn't taken a single one of them.

At this club, at level which can expect players to be 1) Up for it; 2) A team player; and 3) A Natural. Yesterday showed has is 1). However, crying to the Dutch press puts 2) in question and the missed sitter puts 3) very much in doubt.

Ultimately, I would expect all our 1st team players to be knocking in the easiest of goals when they are absolutely served up on a plate. Failure to get the basics right can't be excused by lack of game time. These are professional athletes and really should be match fit/ready whenever they make the 18.

He may be a great footballer, but the investment in him (cash paid so far and games sacrificed to give him the run that people seem to think he needs) just isn't worth it IMHO.

Loan in Jan, sale in the summer. Chalk it up as the one we got wrong.

Indeed. Good DJ though, perhaps needs to focus his mind a bit. Kemy also had lots of side shows

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think people are overlooking the need for cover, we wont sell or loan in Jan unless there is someone coming in. and will they hit the ground running or face the same issue as Locadia? if i understand Hughton he'd rather give someone a another chance and work with what he knows than take a gamble in January, expect him to be here to teh summer at least.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Can' help but feel there are some parallels here with Mitrovic's situation a newcastle. Although he scored 9 in one season for them, many criticized his finishing and said he was lazy. Loan to Fulham sorted him out, and they got 15 million for him in the summer and probably should've kept him. Send him to Forest or Sheff Utd, teams around the top area of the championship that play attacking football, it's clearly not gonna work for him just to stay here and stew on our bench

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Can' help but feel there are some parallels here with Mitrovic's situation a newcastle. Although he scored 9 in one season for them, many criticized his finishing and said he was lazy. Loan to Fulham sorted him out, and they got 15 million for him in the summer and probably should've kept him. Send him to Forest or Sheff Utd, teams around the top area of the championship that play attacking football, it's clearly not gonna work for him just to stay here and stew on our bench
I agree with you. There is a good player lurking under what we see as Jurgen Locadia. He may come good here but it will take games and time something baring injuries to Murray & Andone he will not get. I think you would get a host of clubs wanting his services. Confidence returned there is a goalscorer there hence Hughton probably will not get another striker in January. We have two good ones and one in waiting plus our young starlets.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
How many of his critics have seen him and the team on the training field? I am prepared to stick with CH patience and view.

I agree BG. If he'd started 10 or so games in a row, and failed to contribute, then get your pitchforks out... but he missed a sitter... with all due respect to him, much better mainstay strikers have done that too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here