Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 'Club membership' to be added to season ticket...

Would you pay £20 to add membership to your Albion season ticket?

• Yes, I would - sign me up!

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • No ****ing chance.

Votes: 270 95.1%

• Total voters

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This. I'm not understanding why Seagulls Travel customers should lose their subsidy when other modes of transport don't appear to - unless I missed it. In the grand scheme, it's less than pennies to the club, yet is leaving a sour taste amongst many of their supporters. Now they have pee'd off Bronze members by making life more difficult for them to get tickets (should it go ahead). A couple of own goals by the club, although the latter may well be cleared off the line...

I know its only one side of the story but seagulls travel have stated that some of the routes may be at risk and others combined should there be a drop off in usage and they have also indicated that as they froze prices for 2018/19 not only is there the additional £2 per match increase next season but also an inflationary increase to add to that as well.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I know its only one side of the story but seagulls travel have stated that some of the routes may be at risk and others combined should there be a drop off in usage and they have also indicated that as they froze prices for 2018/19 not only is there the additional £2 per match increase next season but also an inflationary increase to add to that as well.

Yep. I can't recall reading a more scathing email with regards to the club's actions from an official body with such long-standing close links to the club as this one from Seagulls Travel. To say they sounded pee'd off would be an understatement.

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Hang on. I'm a Bronze member currently paying £22 a year for my Bronze membership so I can get priority for tickets for the few games I can make. Now the club is selling exactly the same membership for two pounds LESS to season ticket holders for their guests, adding a huge new pool of people into the mix for tickets in the meantime.

Are the club taking the ACTUAL PISS?

I sincerely hope you lot do reject this offer.

Yeah, ditto. I can no longer ponce as many STs as I used to (one mate gave up his ticket and another sadly died), so I pretty much rely on my Bronze membership to be able to attend. If it does go ahead though it should definitely be opt IN. Even by the club's own maths over 70% of STHs (i.e. the vast majority) DON'T buy extra tickets, so opt-out should be the default position.

Perhaps they'll be a Bronze Plus scheme for us next year?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Many loyal fans who have supported the club for decades can no longer afford STs. It is only right that, having paid for Bronze membership, they should get the opportunity to buy up any tickets on a match by match basis as a priority. I don't want Bronze membership and I'm certainly not paying more for it. Unfortunately, you just know Barber will stick the £20 on across the board ST increases if his latest wizzo idea gets knocked back.

I've said it before on here that Barber doesn't understand BHAFC supporters and will continue to squeeze us until the pips squeak. All very well all the time we are in the PL and have a "waiting list". Not such a clever strategy to piss off your core consumers if we get relegated.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, ditto. I can no longer ponce as many STs as I used to (one mate gave up his ticket and another sadly died), so I pretty much rely on my Bronze membership to be able to attend. If it does go ahead though it should definitely be opt IN. Even by the club's own maths over 70% of STHs (i.e. the vast majority) DON'T buy extra tickets, so opt-out should be the default position.

That's it - the new 'Silver' membership to give priority over all the new 'ST Membership' holders. £250 a season (free special 'silver member' branded flask and keyring included)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Well, they introduced a Platinum Plus in 1901, so why not a Bronze Plus...?

For clarity, and with no sarcasm: there's no way that ST should be able to buy tickets for guests at the same time as existing Bronze members, who are buying them for themselves, imo.

This. I'm not understanding why Seagulls Travel customers should lose their subsidy

Although I don't agree with it I can understand the thinking. As a ST holder I get free travel on the train or bus along with every other ticket holder, both home and away, paid for by the club as part of the deal with the train and bus companies.

If I decide to travel any other way but train or bus the club still have paid for me; they can't get a refund, it's my decision not to use the train.

If I elect to use the Seagull Travel coach which I will do several times in a season, why should the club subsidise me twice?

As somone said, it's peanuts in the big scheme of things of PL income and I think the club have made a big PR gaff with this.

And one other thing, am I the only one who hasn't received the email from the club about this? Maybe they aren't removing my subsidy, just yours?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
And one other thing, am I the only one who hasn't received the email from the club about this? Maybe they aren't removing my subsidy, just yours?

*edited, thought you were talking about the ST increase email*

PS - the email was from Seagulls Travel, not the club

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I received the ST email, but despite having a match bus season ticket since they were introduced with Seagull Travel, I’ve received nothing. Does it apply to the Match bus or only the Matchday Express Service?

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Awful idea. I am a ST Holder, but disagree with STHs’ guest having the same purchasing rights as Bronze members.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's occurred to me perhaps the club has something a little underhand up it's sleeve, announced this utter balderdash so as to make it's original plan seem a little more palatable.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I already pay a premium of £45 to Seagulls TV Player which doesn't even work on a desktop.

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This. I'm not understanding why Seagulls Travel customers should lose their subsidy when other modes of transport don't appear to - unless I missed it. In the grand scheme, it's less than pennies to the club, yet is leaving a sour taste amongst many of their supporters. Now they have pee'd off Bronze members by making life more difficult for them to get tickets (should it go ahead). A couple of own goals by the club, although the latter may well be cleared off the line...

Although I don't agree with it I can understand the thinking. As a ST holder I get free travel on the train or bus along with every other ticket holder, both home and away, paid for by the club as part of the deal with the train and bus companies.

If I decide to travel any other way but train or bus the club still have paid for me; they can't get a refund, it's my decision not to use the train.

If I elect to use the Seagull Travel coach which I will do several times in a season, why should the club subsidise me twice?

As somone said, it's peanuts in the big scheme of things of PL income and I think the club have made a big PR gaff with this.

Further to this, another of their points was also that there are a range of essentially privately arranged transport alternatives which are not subsidised by the club, a range that is ever-growing (both in number, and in distance from the amex) as we continue to gain popularity due to remaining in the premier league. Why is it fair that one or two of them gets subsidised while 20 others don't? And if they start subsidising all of them, those peanuts start adding up, and you get into the issue of people who live outside the free public transport zone who aren't covered by a subsidised private travel arrangement missing out.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Further to this, another of their points was also that there are a range of essentially privately arranged transport alternatives which are not subsidised by the club, a range that is ever-growing (both in number, and in distance from the amex) as we continue to gain popularity due to remaining in the premier league. Why is it fair that one or two of them gets subsidised while 20 others don't? And if they start subsidising all of them, those peanuts start adding up, and you get into the issue of people who live outside the free public transport zone who aren't covered by a subsidised private travel arrangement missing out.
Please dont use this as a justification. Up until now Seagull Travel was described by club as a partner. Now it seems they have become private transport.. Am sure people who have arranged mini buses etc didnt do it expecting any subsidy and to be honest all they needed to do is arrange transport to Seagull Travel pick up points. As a matter of interest ST do say if demand they will pick up from other places

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Please dont use this as a justification. Up until now Seagull Travel was described by club as a partner. Now it seems they have become private transport.. Am sure people who have arranged mini buses etc didnt do it expecting any subsidy and to be honest all they needed to do is arrange transport to Seagull Travel pick up points. As a matter of interest ST do say if demand they will pick up from other places

Private transport was just my way of distinguishing it from the trains and brighton buses, not the club's. I apologise if my wording was clumsy, but that is one of the arguments that Barber put forward - there are now more people/companies/entities/whatever offering alternative travel arrangements and the club's position is that it is creating disparity for some to receive subsidies and others not. It doens't affect me one way or the other, I wasn't trying to have any veiled digs or belittle the contribution of any of the travel operators, I was merely adding further explanation above conversation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here