Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] English girl missing in NZ.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can't understand what the Prime Minister has to apologise about. It's hardly her fault or her country's fault that a scumbag has murdered a tourist.

Being such a small and remote country, tourism/backpacking is huge value to them, I guess the Prime Minister got involved to try and reassure people that murder of tourists is not an everyday event and that NZ is still a safe country to visit. Pretty much a PR event.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Being such a small and remote country, tourism/backpacking is huge value to them, I guess the Prime Minister got involved to try and reassure people that murder of tourists is not an everyday event and that NZ is still a safe country to visit. Pretty much a PR event.

Or maybe she’s just genuinely sorry that this has happened :shrug:

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland

It's interesting that most posters on here that have travelled around NZ, speak highly of the country. But it does have a worrying dark side. That I think is not mentioned in the travel guides.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cr...urists-killed-in-new-zealand-while-travelling

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I can't understand what the Prime Minister has to apologise about. It's hardly her fault or her country's fault that a scumbag has murdered a tourist.

It’s called collective responsibility. I admire the fact that she feels that NZ has a duty of care to visitors.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's interesting that most posters on here that have travelled around NZ, speak highly of the country. But it does have a worrying dark side. That I think is not mentioned in the travel guides.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cr...urists-killed-in-new-zealand-while-travelling

The article highlights 4 deaths in 20 years, I stopped reading after 1998 as the article is nonsense. In context, NZ doesn’t strike me as having a “worrying dark side”. Far from it.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
The article highlights 4 deaths in 20 years, I stopped reading after 1998 as the article is nonsense. In context, NZ doesn’t strike me as having a “worrying dark side”. Far from it.
[MENTION=17480]colinz[/MENTION] may be better place to judge that, being based in Auckland? There is a strong gang presence in New Zealand and brutal murders are not uncommon. Just last week a pensioner in Wellington was decapitated.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
NZ is relatively safe in world terms - but then, so is the UK. The NZ homicide rate is about 1 in 100,000 while the UK one is 1.2 per 100,000. So, yes, NZ is safer but not to the extent that the UK media are suggesting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=17480]colinz[/MENTION] may be better place to judge that, being based in Auckland?.

Maybe. But that article is poor and does not in anyway back up his suggestion.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
[MENTION=17480]colinz[/MENTION] may be better place to judge that, being based in Auckland? There is a strong gang presence in New Zealand and brutal murders are not uncommon. Just last week a pensioner in Wellington was decapitated.

are the black power headhunters still going? met some of them in 1979 whilst out on the piss in number 1's. watched them have a shoot out with other gang/cops from the safety of an off license, then couldnt be arsed to wait and bimbled out, much to their amazement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here