Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Five in a row?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
perhaps Tuesday was the exception that proved the rule (which is a phrase that makes no sense).
Wouldn't usually point this out but as you are a self-proclaimed pedant I couldn't let it pass.
The phrase makes sense when you realise that "prove" here means "test" rather than "demonstrate to be true".

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Wouldn't usually point this out but as you are a self-proclaimed pedant I couldn't let it pass.
The phrase makes sense when you realise that "prove" here means "test" rather than "demonstrate to be true".

The phrase comes from rules like parking regulations where it says no parking except on Sundays. The exception proves you cant park on the other days of the week. Its a bit daft but thats where it originated.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Atkinson is a blatant ‘homer’ based on what I witnessed at Cardiff, so sadly i’m definitely expecting another Albion red card, failing that he’ll award a controversial penalty to Burnley.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The phrase comes from rules like parking regulations where it says no parking except on Sundays. The exception proves you cant park on the other days of the week. Its a bit daft but thats where it originated.
It still makes no sense. If the sign just said no parking, then it's pretty clear the rule is no parking. You don't need an exception to prove it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

It still makes no sense. If the sign just said no parking, then it's pretty clear the rule is no parking. You don't need an exception to prove it.

I thought it was when the wording was the other way around. Not "No Parking except on Sundays", which as Triggaaar says describes the 'rule' pretty clearly. I think the phrase comes into play when the sign says something like "Parking Not Allowed on Sundays" - which is basically saying that the rule is that you can park the rest of the time. That is - the rule itself is not stated, but the exception (no parking on Sundays) provides proof that the rule is that parking is allowed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the phrase comes into play when the sign says something like "Parking Not Allowed on Sundays" - which is basically saying that the rule is that you can park the rest of the time. That is - the rule itself is not stated, but the exception (no parking on Sundays) provides proof that the rule is that parking is allowed.
Oo, now that makes sense. Thanks for the education.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here