Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo Penalty

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
Apologies if fixtures but I've been too hungover to keep up to date....

Everyones moaning that the foul on Izquierdo wasnt a penalty, but post match in the concourse they were showing highlights of the game and there was one angle, in line with the referee, that showed it definitely was a foul.

I can't find that video anywhere - anyone know what I'm on about and know where a link is?

The replays I've seen on MOTD etc don't show this particular angle. I'm not overly bothered as it's funny they think it wasnt a foul but I want to see it again!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Everyones moaning that the foul on Izquierdo wasnt a penalty, but post match in the concourse they were showing highlights of the game and there was one angle, in line with the referee, that showed it definitely was a foul.

I can't find that video anywhere - anyone know what I'm on about and know where a link is?

The replays I've seen on MOTD etc don't show this particular angle. I'm not overly bothered as it's funny they think it wasnt a foul but I want to see it again!

I don't think it was a pen, but I think from Friend's viewpoint it looked like one. Being behind the players he would not have seen the defender make contact with the ball.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I saw the highlights after the game, but people are saying the Palace player got the ball, as if that negates the foul. When Stephens got his red at Middlesbrough, he got the ball, but it was still a foul.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
I don't think it was a pen, but I think from Friend's viewpoint it looked like one. Being behind the players he would not have seen the defender make contact with the ball.

The thing is, the replay from that angle shows it clearly was (he took out Izquierdo first)

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I saw the highlights after the game, but people are saying the Palace player got the ball, as if that negates the foul. When Stephens got his red at Middlesbrough, he got the ball, but it was still a foul.

Very much this. Irritates me so much when commentators perpetuate the myth that the player getting the ball means no foul is committed. Absolute nonsense

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Come on now. There’s nothing dangerous about the McCarthur challenge. He’s very clearly won the ball in the only manner to be expected, gets there before Izzy, who kicks him and goes down. There is not a chance it’s a penalty.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Yeah I know the angle, from that angle it looks a stonewall penalty, and that was Friend's angle (and I'm pretty certain they did show it on motd). But it clearly clearly wasn't a penalty though (but I'm not moaning)

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
However - the angle in question show he doesnt get there before Izquierdo. He takes him out first, then gets the ball. None of the other replays show this as they don't have the right perspective and it looks like a fair challenge.

Defo wasnt on MOTD by the way, not the one Im thinking of anyway.

kjgood

Unfortunately I have to admit that I saw it as Izzy kicking the defender not the other way around. I'm pleased we got the penalty but I would have been unhappy if a penalty had been awarded against us in a similar circumstance.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
However - the angle in question show he doesnt get there before Izquierdo. He takes him out first, then gets the ball. None of the other replays show this as they don't have the right perspective and it looks like a fair challenge.

He does though. Simple as that really. Whatever angle you saw which seems to have never been shown anywhere else can only be a trick of the camera. Just looking at the timing of the others it is impossible for him to touch Izzy first.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

The angle you want is at 40 seconds here. Looks like McArthur just takes him out, but you can just see that he did get the ball first (bit obscured by their number 8). You can certainly see why Friend gave it from that angle

https://highlightsfootball.com/video/brighton-hove-albion-vs-crystal-palace-highlights-2/

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't get the double standards of 'he got the ball, so it can't be a penalty', either. Plenty of examples where that clearly isn't the case. Also, I seem to remember CH (I think) talking about the pen that Kayal gave away against Leicester saying that if you go down in the box when making a challenge, it's a nailed on pen. And matey went down against Izquierdo, so...

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Not a foul, not a dive. Mr Friend got it wrong.

And I care not one jot.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It probably was the correct decision by the letter of the law, but it was undeniably soft. He gets the ball with his left, but also takes the player out with his trailing leg. We'd be upset by the decision (unjustifiably in my opinion) if it was the other way round.

HOWEVER, I have not seen a single one of their fans criticize Milivojevic and Wan-Bissaka for some of the most amateurish defending I've seen in my life that led directly to Izquierdo being one-on-one. Imagine being a Premier League and international footballer and clashing into your own player, unchallenged in that position.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here