Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Portillo. Brighton. Hidden Histories.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I'll tell you what, I've really enjoyed these Portillo-fronted programmes, starting when he went round Britain with his Bradshaws railway guide. He's a very engaging presenter, way better than people like Tony Robinson or Griff Rhys Jones, both of whom I find intensely irritating.

Feel slightly bad that I hated him so much when he was a Tory politician.

Me too.

Unfortunately, from personal experience, the bloke is an arrogant cock in real life.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Geoffrey Mead, the historian he spoke to on the beach, is an unbelievable fount of knowledge about Brighton. His walking tours are highly recommended. I thought I knew Brighton ...

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I always enjoy seeing my home town on the telly. Not the best hour about Brighton I've ever seen but still enjoyed it. Could have shortened the time devoted to the West Pier and perhaps included the Palace Pier, the Daddy Longlegs, Royal Pavilion, and how Brighton's footprint has spread in the last two hundred years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember disappearing down a hole in Poole Valley to tour the sewers on a school trip in about 1968. Amazing.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember disappearing down a hole in Poole Valley to tour the sewers on a school trip in about 1968. Amazing.

Did the same in 1975 with our primary school, access via a manhole on Old Steine opposite/north of the Royal Albion Hotel.

Apparently CPFC’s training ground kitchen has an identical same odour.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did the cameraman keep wandering off following a completely different person but dressed exactly the same?

#BrightonSoAlternative.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Me too.

Unfortunately, from personal experience, the bloke is an arrogant cock in real life.

Well fortunately most of us won't have the opportunity to meet him, so it's only how he comes across on tv that counts. What he is like in real life is largely irrelevant.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I always enjoy seeing my home town on the telly. Not the best hour about Brighton I've ever seen but still enjoyed it. Could have shortened the time devoted to the West Pier and perhaps included the Palace Pier, the Daddy Longlegs, Royal Pavilion, and how Brighton's footprint has spread in the last two hundred years.

Presumably far more footage about the West Pier, because it is no longer there and therefore many people not native to the area didn't know it existed or know very little about it, whereas the Palace Pier, in my opinion at least, is probably given far too much attention by programme makers who come to the city.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Presumably far more footage about the West Pier, because it is no longer there and therefore many people not native to the area didn't know it existed or know very little about it, whereas the Palace Pier, in my opinion at least, is probably given far too much attention by programme makers who come to the city.

I forgot the Chain Pier. Not a single mention.
I'd not seen the photos of the building of the sewers. Fascinating when you consider it was all done without the aid of GPS and modern digging technology and equipment, and they are still going strong today.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
*cough* would have *cough*

Or education minister.

Actually, he's far too cerbral to be a politician. He's a damned fine telly presenter, though.

Never trust a politician who was a goth at university. They enjoy dressing up far too much.

Sorry old chap.

Terrible, choice of the word.

I genuinely think he would have made a great prime minister.

It was an outstanding programme too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Really, I've met him a few times, through work, and I've always found him extremely pleasant and not arrogant at all.

Yep me too!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Really, I've met him a few times, through work, and I've always found him extremely pleasant and not arrogant at all.

Last time I wanted a quote from him was at a British Museum event. He asked me if it was for a diary piece, sneered in the bit where I might have answered and walked off. Fair play, really. Overall: Tory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here