Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace review of Tuesday’s match.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well written, showing that most Palace fans are decent, even if I think some of the complaints against Kevin Friend are OTT, he was poor rather than biased.

The references to homophobia (the writer was there with his lesbian sister), Tommy Robinson chants and EDL leaflet distribution at Palace matches disturbing though.

https://rednbluearmy.co.uk/match-reports/2018-19/brighton-3-1-crystal-palace

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It was Huddersfield fans who reported their own, so it won't stop until Palace fans report their own. Well done for his sister for standing up for herself.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well written indeed, fans that don't like each other but they're the best in the league? Yeah ok then..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
...and calling Murray a diver. So much a dive in fact that Murray was off the pitch receiving treatment for the corner (which he’s right - should have been a goal kick if the pen wasn’t given, which it probably should have been; certainly more of a pen than the one that was actually given), came off shortly thereafter and probably won’t be fit to play tomorrow. Some dive.

I did however notice the Palace fans applauding Murray when the teams were read out, which I thought was interesting.

He’s bang on about the homophobia, and we shouldn’t be surprised that Croydon/Thornton Heath are fertile territory for TR songs and EDL supporters. Perhaps a few of our fans are supporting the wrong club?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Shows the real issue with Homophobic chants, we get it all the time, it is boring more than anything, but the oppositions own fans that are Gay or have Gay friends and family get to know that some of their fellow supporters think there is something to be ashamed of.

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting and well written article.

As I Brighton fan, I know that a homophobic remark would spark the same furious reaction from fellow fans as a racist remark; hopefully the same will be true at the Palace one day but it’s obviously no where near that now.

The fact that extremist far fight groups actively leaflet outside their stadium is disturbing. I’d like to think that the football lads alliance would be very quickly ‘moved on’ if they started peddling their ignorant and wretched filth around our beautiful and tolerant stadium.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...and calling Murray a diver. So much a dive in fact that Murray was off the pitch receiving treatment for the corner (which he’s right - should have been a goal kick if the pen wasn’t given, which it probably should have been; certainly more of a pen than the one that was actually given), came off shortly thereafter and probably won’t be fit to play tomorrow. Some dive.

I did however notice the Palace fans applauding Murray when the teams were read out, which I thought was interesting.

He’s bang on about the homophobia, and we shouldn’t be surprised that Croydon/Thornton Heath are fertile territory for TR songs and EDL supporters. Perhaps a few of our fans are supporting the wrong club?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought that Murray was definitely looking for a challenge to come into him there. He's a wily old fox (in the box).

And, frankly, I thought the challenge was worthy of a penalty. If Kevin Friend hadn't only just given us one, I think he would have given that one, although to do so required him observing that the Palace defender had got nowhere near the ball, and only played the man.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
What a well written article.
On the penalty front I think the challenge on Murray looked far more of a penalty that the one given. What amuses me was Tompkins shouting at the ref'i didn't touch the ball'.... ah, so it wasn't a corner then, it was a penalty.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought that Murray was definitely looking for a challenge to come into him there. He's a wily old fox (in the box).

And, frankly, I thought the challenge was worthy of a penalty. If Kevin Friend hadn't only just given us one, I think he would have given that one, although to do so required him observing that the Palace defender had got nowhere near the ball, and only played the man.

Oh yeah, I think Murray was looking for a challenge - the angle was already tight, and only getting worse. Wily, indeed. However, as you say, the challenge duly came, and the defender got nowhere near him - hence, no dive; probable penalty. It’s possible that Friend was seeking to even things out? Even if not - it’s fair we got one penalty in that game, and we did!

Stumpy Tim

Good read definitely. Though I think the idea that some people engaging in homophobia means they're more likely to be ok with racism a bit of a stretch.

I think his point was that people who think it's ok to shout homophobic abuse these days, would probably also join the crowd and throw racist abuse if it was the 80's. I tend to agree. I doubt that all people who sing homophobic songs are actually homophobic, but they see it as accepted "bantz" at football. I was too young to remember, but I suspect it was the same with racism in the 80's

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh yeah, I think Murray was looking for a challenge - the angle was already tight, and only getting worse. Wily, indeed. However, as you say, the challenge duly came, and the defender got nowhere near him - hence, no dive; probable penalty. It’s possible that Friend was seeking to even things out? Even if not - it’s fair we got one penalty in that game, and we did!

I'm getting my Palace fan reports mixed up...

I read and shared the one linked above yesterday, and read a few others too. One of them referred to Murray's ability to look for a challenge as the author had seen him do it numerous times at Palace. I thought this was that report. Having read it back, it's clearly not and, as you say, the author is wrong. Murray didn't dive. He went down as the carthorse defender whacked him (which Murray wanted him to do).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think his point was that people who think it's ok to shout homophobic abuse these days, would probably also join the crowd and throw racist abuse if it was the 80's. I tend to agree. I doubt that all people who sing homophobic songs are actually homophobic, but they see it as accepted "bantz" at football. I was too young to remember, but I suspect it was the same with racism in the 80's

It wasn't even regarded as bantz...it was acceptable hilarious shouts aimed at specific people on the pitch

I always remember one evening , I was in teh NS at the goldstone and we were playing West Brom I think it was......they had a few black players and people kept yelling out ...turn the lights off we won't see them then....there's a black bitch on the pitch( to the tune of brown girl in the ring) and various other monkey chants.

At the time, as most people in the NS were youngsters, it was hilarious and part of the game.

Of course today that sort of thing is totally unacceptable, but it was a different day and age. Let's face it not that far off only 200 years ago, we collected thousands of black people from Africa and shipped them around the world for slaves. We also know when listening to my grandparents generation or even parents generation, there is a time in everyone's life when you sit in the front room watching TV and they will come out with a comment that is totally unacceptable these days, but to them it isn't.

We are very fortunate that racism has all but gone at football grounds and it will be same with homophobia, but there will always be people who regard it as a bit of fun and think anyone getting offended are snowflakes.....such is the mentality of some people.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm getting my Palace fan reports mixed up...

I read and shared the one linked above yesterday, and read a few others too. One of them referred to Murray's ability to look for a challenge as the author had seen him do it numerous times at Palace. I thought this was that report. Having read it back, it's clearly not and, as you say, the author is wrong. Murray didn't dive. He went down as the carthorse defender whacked him (which Murray wanted him to do).

Indeed Murray never fakes a penalty, instead he makes a penalty.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Typical Palace, got to have the last little dig.......An upside down club crest

Edit. FFS his image has not included the text with the logo..

Attachments

• mcarthur-penalty-vs-brighton.jpg
    mcarthur-penalty-vs-brighton.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 458

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Don't worry, Tomkins would have told him as much had he pointed to the spot.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well written, showing that most Palace fans are decent, even if I think some of the complaints against Kevin Friend are OTT, he was poor rather than biased.

The references to homophobia (the writer was there with his lesbian sister), Tommy Robinson chants and EDL leaflet distribution at Palace matches disturbing though.

https://rednbluearmy.co.uk/match-reports/2018-19/brighton-3-1-crystal-palace

An excellent article I thought, and your right the average Palace fan is no better or worse than our own set of supporters, simply wanting them to win. That's why I get so aggreived at all the anti Palace vitriol on here. Yes Palace are rivals but l certainly don't hate their fans, hopefully I don't hate anyone. It's a horrible emotion to have.

No referee is biaised, yes Kevin Friend made a couple of very basic mistakes, but don't all referess do that from time to time?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Thought his Friend rant was a bit off. Soft, would describe the penalty given, and 50/50 would describe Murray's tumble.

Loved this though -

Myrrh
Myrrh symbolised death in the guise of an embalming oil. On the stroke of half-time, four minutes into stoppage time at the end of the first half to be precise, Palace presented the final gift to the hosts. James Tomkins and Mamadou Sakho allowed Florin Andone to nip in to score an unlikely third, crashing the final nail into the coffin.

Myrrh might also be the best way to spell the noise that came out of my mouth as Brighton fans away to my right taunted us.

The last bit about the homophobic fans is a bit of a worry. Tommy Robinson songs??????!!!!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
At least this report acknowledged that Palace failed to defend the corner correctly in leaving Balogun unmarked, surely whoever was picking up Duffy would have had the intelligence to switch to Duffy. Most other Palace reports have just moaned on and on and on and on about how it shouldn't have been a corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here