Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone’s goal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He beat three men to score, so it wasn't exactly a one on one.
and sure the touch from Tomkins was poor, but having run that far many would have given up once the defender got a challenge in, but he was still sharp enough to keep going and score. Not to mention his first touch, at full pace, which was inch perfect.

I'm struggling to think of when I've last enjoyed a goal that much. Zamora's length of the pitch run and volley against Huddersfield was pretty sweet (for nostalgic reasons), as was Ulloa's goal against Palace (as we'd ripped them apart). Spanish Dave's was pretty sweet that day too.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
TBF, they had 10 games to show which virtually never happens on a Saturday.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let's see...in a few years time...
We need to find out who put Dunk in the shit first. I'm surprised no one else has stepped in with their version.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The media sell to consumers. If the consumers are interested, the media will cover it. I don't think you can blame the media, they're only selling to their audience. Unfortunately, when you consider the millions that consume the coverage, only a small percentage actually go to games and support a team, or care about what is going on in a little known rivalry in Sussex.

I'll also defend the media in that in my lifetime you barely had anything written about non-league let alone live games all season, coverage and highlight packages. It ain't all bad.

I agree to a point. But, it's a bit chicken and egg too. We're not talking front page news here. If performances like ours were fairly reported, and goals like Andone's highlighted, perhaps the laymen would start to get interested.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mmm, no threads I feel the need to read, not got to start making dinner for half an hour yet - think I'll just watch Andone's goal a few more times.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I don't think his goal is quite as good as being made out. If Tomkins wasn't cripplingly useless he wouldn't have scored......

Did Andone score 2 goals, because the only one I saw from my seat, he ran from all the way before the half way line, chasing a hopefully punt, kept it in skilfully, went round 2 PL defenders like they weren't there and rifled it in past a goalkeeper.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Press coverage of all clubs outside the top 5 is really chronic. Yesterday morning Alan Brainlesszil on Talksh!t gave us about 5 seconds early on and then proceeded to cover the Manure and Arsenal game, in reality for the next four hours.
I don't care...Andone is something very special IMHO and they will come a knocking after his FA Cup Final hat-trick.

TNBA

TTF

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The BBC site says "Brighton produced one of the best Premier League performances of the season to sweep aside Crystal Palace despite playing for 62 minutes with only 10 men."

Well the pundits didn't act like it was.

They also eulogised about how wonderful the ManU-Arsenal game was. I watched that live on BT and it was dreadful. Lots of incident but both teams giving the ball away and all the goals came about from farcical defending. Come to think of it, not so different from our match....

The Andone goal was incredible primarily due to the context. We were hanging on for half-time and to score a 3rd from a hoof clearance, thanks to some remarkable speed and persistence was so out-of-the-blue as to be miraculous. Especially as lots of the nip-down-for-a-beer crew missed it!

PG

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
and sure the touch from Tomkins was poor, but having run that far many would have given up once the defender got a challenge in, but he was still sharp enough to keep going and score. Not to mention his first touch, at full pace, which was inch perfect.

I'm struggling to think of when I've last enjoyed a goal that much. Zamora's length of the pitch run and volley against Huddersfield was pretty sweet (for nostalgic reasons), as was Ulloa's goal against Palace (as we'd ripped them apart). Spanish Dave's was pretty sweet that day too.

This! And I've watched the highlights ten times now... compulsive viewing

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Quite, not sure who it was, think it was the premier league who tweeted something like "one of the games of the season" on Tuesday night after the game

Think I saw that (ironically) on the BBC website during and at the live reporting section

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Didn’t even get mentioned on MOTD last night. If Aguero scored it would have been shown a gazillion times. Is this wrong or should we keep Andone under the radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On the night we said that if Rashford had scored that, we’d never hear the last of it on BBC and Sky.

I don’t normally believe the bias theories, but this shows things in a different light.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Andone goal was incredible primarily due to the context. We were hanging on for half-time and to score a 3rd from a hoof clearance, thanks to some remarkable speed and persistence was so out-of-the-blue as to be miraculous. Especially as lots of the nip-down-for-a-beer crew missed it!
The idiots :lol:

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Somebody somewhere compared the goal to many of Wardy's goals which were just as exhilarating but often against slower 2nd and 3rd division defenders where he was well ahead of the defender before "he shot, he scored". Andone had two Premier defenders keeping pace with him all the way from the halfway line at the edge of the pitch to the goal line, so he not only had to hold the ball close to him all the way but to then negotiate both of them and at an acute angle strike it past Hennesey. A wonder goal indeed.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

I too have watched it around a bajillion times and it's the first touch that gets me. It was so perfectly weighted that his second touch was JUST inside the area so carthorse Tomkins couldn't bring him down. You can see him think about putting in a challenge for a millisecond, by which time Andone has cut inside and Tomkins is toast.

Sakho..... well. :ffsparr: :albion2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the lack of praise for Andone's goal - outside of NSC'S walls - says more about how poorly Crystal Palace's defence is viewed than anything else. If Andone had scored that goal against Man City the MOTD pundits would have bigged it up.

You see some cracking goals in the lower league highlights but that's what happens when defenders fail to tackle and close men down. I thought Tomkins looked like a League 2 defender on Tuesday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here