Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone’s goal

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I keep wondering why didn't Tomkins put it behind for a corner when he had the ball, instead he appears to try and pass it back to Sakho but due to his momentum he doesn't get enough on the pass and basically lays on a perfectly weighted pass straight into Andone's path. Idiot.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I keep wondering why didn't Tomkins put it behind for a corner when he had the ball, instead he appears to try and pass it back to Sakho but due to his momentum he doesn't get enough on the pass and basically lays on a perfectly weighted pass straight into Andone's path. Idiot.

Shit scared of getting a red and until Andone stroked it into the net, with the angle and ‘top international’ goalie to beat, a goal was still unlikely. Plus it all happened in fractions of second.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
It's a complete joke they didn't give it some air-time, as was the whole 'analysis' of our game.

I know we're not a big club, and they generally won't talk about us as much as the top 6, but this week they were particularly poor.

Anyway, on the subject of Andone's goal - each time I watch it (and I've seen it so many times now that even I'm starting to think there's something a little wrong with me) I still can't believe he scores, and I just start grinning like a maniac.

I agree. I honestly believe that Keown didn't actually watch the game. His 'analysis' amounted to a simple recap of the highlights clip that was just shown. Incredibly lazy bit of punditry, for which he gets paid thousands of pounds worth of licence fee payers' money.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Thing that annoyed me most about MOTD is that both on Saturday and Wednesday Lineker and his cronies went out of their way to crowbar in a discussion of how well Benitez is doing at the Toon. they’re 3 points in front of the much-maligned Hudds, and 2 in front of “not Prem standard” Cardiff. They’re not in the bottom 4 largely due to the spawniest of wins when Watford absolutely battered them 0-1 and then B’muff were the better side when they lost 1-2. How on Earth is that “doing a fantastic job”?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This. Both ridiculous and exciting. I expected Andone to leg it up the pitch as far as possible and maybe get a throw or at best corner to see the first half out. His speed, and then his wonderful first touch, instilled unrealistic hope and then just as it seemed that palace would clear, Tomkins laid it on a plate and Florine placed it beautifully. That roar from the Amex, was imo the biggest one yet and I don't remember celebrating a goal like that, or feeling like that since we won promotion. To score 3 with ten men and the third coming in that manner was VERY VERY special.

Reading that got me all tingly as I remembered the emotion I felt at that goal going in.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
His goal reminds me of the one Bale scored against Barca in the Spanish cup a few years back. People were going mad for that one around the world but Andone’s one doesn’t even get mentioned on MOTD.

Much Like the Isquirdo goal v Stoke away. Now that goal was absolutely sublime and not analysed

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
True but the Palace back line are truly woeful.
No wonder they are so low in the table. We have so more quality than them in terms of centre backs and goals keepers (and strikers actually).

Agreed. I was just making the point that, irrespective of who they were, our Florin did spectacularly well.

I've said elsewhere that I did not enjoy our games against west Ham and Wolves where we were hanging on to a one goal lead. I had no such feelings at all on Tuesday night, which emphasises the gulf you highlight.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thing that annoyed me most about MOTD is that both on Saturday and Wednesday Lineker and his cronies went out of their way to crowbar in a discussion of how well Benitez is doing at the Toon. they’re 3 points in front of the much-maligned Hudds, and 2 in front of “not Prem standard” Cardiff. They’re not in the bottom 4 largely due to the spawniest of wins when Watford absolutely battered them 0-1 and then B’muff were the better side when they lost 1-2. How on Earth is that “doing a fantastic job”?

Because he's a magician, who has managed to do SO well with a Championship squad.... NOT.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
and sure the touch from Tomkins was poor, but having run that far many would have given up once the defender got a challenge in, but he was still sharp enough to keep going and score. Not to mention his first touch, at full pace, which was inch perfect.

I'm struggling to think of when I've last enjoyed a goal that much. Zamora's length of the pitch run and volley against Huddersfield was pretty sweet (for nostalgic reasons), as was Ulloa's goal against Palace (as we'd ripped them apart). Spanish Dave's was pretty sweet that day too.

I think the feeling of going from pure fear that we were down to 10 and about to watch 70 minutes of wave after wave of palace attack (didn’t materialise in the end), to pure ecstasy as balogun volleyed home rates highly in terms of enjoyment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It never surprises me how they skip over us ‘cannon fodder’ for the big boys because I have been watching and listening to general Premier League coverage for years. If we get a result against one of the top boys it’s because of their shortfalls and not our attributes. Laugh at it and remember we are Prem 2 and are treated as such. Hi

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I agree. I honestly believe that Keown didn't actually watch the game. His 'analysis' amounted to a simple recap of the highlights clip that was just shown. Incredibly lazy bit of punditry, for which he gets paid thousands of pounds worth of licence fee payers' money.

This. I thought the same. No mention of our stout defending down to 10 men and scoring 2 goals with 10. Said push on Murray before the corner wasn't a pen and didn't even mention Andones goal. Biased 'London Club' punditry. As bad a Palarses defending - Lazy.

el punal

I don't think his goal is quite as good as being made out. If Tomkins wasn't cripplingly useless he wouldn't have scored......

Au contraire. It was a wonderful goal because it was so unexpected. Bernardo hoofs it upfield to the touchline knowing that the halftime whistle is just about to blow and we can regroup still at 2-0. Andone seizes the moment, and I thought he was going to take it to the Palace corner flag to waste time, how wrong I was. With no little skill, pace, strength and finally, accuracy, Andone scores one of THE goals that Albion fans will remember for a long time. Perfect timing too, as the ref blows for halftime five seconds after Palce restart.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
[TWEET]1070077075166515200[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here