Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you know why Tuesday night was special?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Firstly, it has exorcised the demon that was the semi final loss. Every time the fixture came round previously, I thought of that loss and felt a sense of trepidation about the game coming up.

Secondly, it was the first game I've seen live that we've won against them since the Boxing day clash of '88!

Now when the fixtures come out I'll feel more confident, I realised on Tuesday that we are now ahead of them in every department. Previously over the last 20 odd years they have been ahead of us.
Not only in Stadium, Academy, league position but also on the pitch as well.

But now, well you can list all of those again, and we are ahead of them, and look to be leaving them behind.

My only demon that's left is the 5-0 loss where I sat in the main stand with my head in my hands as the goals went in with Palace fans all around me giving it large. Until we beat them 5-0 that one will still be there. Overall though I won't fear us playing them again!

Has Tuesday exorcised any demons for you?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I understand about the 5 nil. That was terrible. But it should be put into context. We were, however, massively punching above our weight on a shoestring budget. They were, at the time, massively punching above their weight using taxpayers money to fund their horrible little club. Now that we are on an even playing field....

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I understand about the 5 nil. That was terrible. But it should be put into context. We were, however, massively punching above our weight on a shoestring budget. They were, at the time, massively punching above their weight using taxpayers money to fund their horrible little club. Now that we are on an even playing field....

Ermm and we had 10 men?

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
For me it was also removed the last thing that Poyets record with us had over Hughton's: beating Palace at the Amex on St. Patricks Day. I'd give Chris the Freedon of the City for that result on Tuesday, if he didn't already have it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ermm and we had 10 men?

That is correct. I was simply stating that the 5 nil loss was in the context of a very uneven playing field in terms of our resources and theirs. After all they had the whole UK population backing them up. The taxpayers anyway.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

yep very true, still rankles though! If we had kept 11 on the pitch on Tuesday I think we would have come close to matching that result!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

What is worst?
Losing 5-0 ending the game with ten men when you had little chance of getting anything out of the game?

Or

Losing 3-1 to team that played 60 minutes with ten men and who scored two after the player had been sent off. The second with only 9 on the pitch. Added to that you’ve only managed to have two more shots than them. In a world of footballing incompetence that must take the biscuit!

The 5-0 drubbing had been an open sore on my soul but not any longer.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We've talked plenty of our dominance over Palace in various respects. I think it's too early to do this. We need to back Tuesday's performance up when we go to their place. That's the final frontier, to go to their place expecting to win and to win.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Firstly, it has exorcised the demon that was the semi final loss. Every time the fixture came round previously, I thought of that loss and felt a sense of trepidation about the game coming up.

Secondly, it was the first game I've seen live that we've won against them since the Boxing day clash of '88!

Now when the fixtures come out I'll feel more confident, I realised on Tuesday that we are now ahead of them in every department. Previously over the last 20 odd years they have been ahead of us.

But now, well you can list all of those again, and we are ahead of them, and look to be leaving them behind.

My only demon that's left is the 5-0 loss where I sat in the main stand with my head in my hands as the goals went in with Palace fans all around me giving it large. Until we beat them 5-0 that one will still be there. Overall though I won't fear us playing them again!

Perhaps you should get out more ???

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

We have beaten them 5-0 in the past if that helps.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Palace 5 Albion 0
Albion 3 Palace 0
Albion 3 Palace 1

Total goals:
Palace 6 Albion 6

Yes, there was the Playoff SF, but then, more recently, we knocked them out of the Cup last year.

At this point, it's relatively even over all, but with the stability on and off the field, we're the side that's moving into the ascendancy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well I missed the other two times we've beaten them since, but I've seen that 5-0 loss, the 3-2 loss at Withdean, the 2-1 loss with 5 penalties and both semi's

Just bad timing then, missing the wins....:wink:

I missed the 1-0 win up there (having decided to never visit that shit-hole ever again, after the 0-5) but that and the 3-0 had me moving nicely on. But....largely I get badly affected only at the time (see my previous posts about the 0-5) and I don't brood about grievances in general (I just block out things that annoy me and move on). That little shit who crocked Ramsey in the cup final, though.....his early retirement due to injury continues to be a source of morbid pleasure to me. :lolol: Palace, though....have never really got one over us that caused lasting consequence apart from the playoff debacle, but that merely puts them in the same boat as Middlesborough, Derby and others I have almost forgotten about....Notts County. To be honest, Tuesday was great but I have almost forgotten about it now :rolleyes::lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here