Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So .... Any chance we can take the FA Cup seriously this year?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
We reached the quarter finals last year and put in a highly creditable performance away to Manchester United. We also beat Palace and won away at Middlesbrough to reach that stage so I don't know what more we could hope for. Murray scored in both games albeit off the bench so I think just more of the same.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We reached the quarter finals last year and put in a highly creditable performance away to Manchester United. We also beat Palace and won away at Middlesbrough to reach that stage so I don't know what more we could hope for. Murray scored in both games albeit off the bench so I think just more of the same.

Yes, I accept that (and other posters who've made similar points). But you never got the feeling that we (club and fans) were 100% committed to it as the team selection showed. Maybe more committed than in previous, lower league seasons; but Cup progress was always very much seen as being of secondary importance.
"Well it was our first season in the PL", I hear you say, "Winning League games and staying up was more important." Ok, to a large extent I'll accept that, hence my view that this season could we look to actually trying to make Cup games on a par with League ones?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well we'll certainly have Button or Steele in the side, but other than that there is no reason not to field a first XI, as we have a good haul of league points in the bag already.

And the fixtures fall kindly after the cup game with a week until Liverpool then another week until Man Utd - not exactly *must win* 6-pointers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
By my reckoning we now have two very decent XIs when everyone's available;

Ryan, Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Bong, Knockaert, Stephens, Propper, Izquierdo, Gross, Murray

Steele / Button, Montoya, Balogan, Burn / White, Bernardo, March, Bissouma, Kayal, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone

Might mix and match what would be first choice and what second, but neither looks considerably weaker than the other. By my reckoning we could change the entire team and still have a good chance against even those around us.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Every year since I first started posting on NSC (1999) come January the cry has gone up: "Forget the Cup, the League is far more important this year. It's vital we get promoted / avoid relegation this season. Next season we can take the Cup seriously, but not this." And like tomorrow, 'next season' never comes.

So how about it? Full-strength team at Bournemouth and give it a go? After all the "We're never going to win it so why bother?" argument can't be made any more, and as we're mid-table at Christmas we're pretty much as 'safe' as we're ever going to be. I'm hoping to find support especially amongst those who moan about the 'negativity' of our approach to League games and moan that the limit of our ambitions is to only lose narrowly at the likes of Man City whilst we chase that all-important 17th place. Let's give it a go this year..

EDIT: Of course in earlier years the 'Forget the Cup' cry went up a lot earlier than January ...

Sadly, I think Big Chris and Barber may have already read your plea. And deleted...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Forget the Cup, the League is far more important!!

Injuries and suspensions are already putting the squeeze on the squad so ideal opportunity to play the young 'uns and give then some experience.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Go for it. One game at a time. I always think you can get injured in training so why not give them a rest day during the week and a cup game at the weekend.

You never know we might even get a trip to Wembley.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Can imagine a team line along the lines of this for 3rd round game

Steele
Bruno Balogun Burn Bong
Ali J Kayal Bissouma Gyokeres
Locadia Connolly

Iran's first match in the AFC Asian Cup is on Monday January 7, so I imagine Ali J will not be available.

Viktor Gyokeres has been invited to a Sweden full national team training camp in Qatar from January 3 - 13 2019.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Only if we have 40 points before we get knocked out, and even then it will be the decent thing to give the players that got us that far a chance to carry on.... Nah going out at Bournemouth.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Give to the second string, they did alright last season and it only stuffed up when first team players had to get involved, when it was getting to the pointy end.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Give to the second string, they did alright last season and it only stuffed up when first team players had to get involved, when it was getting to the pointy end.

Has the 1st string / 2nd string got a bit blurred over the last couple of games? ???

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Every year since I first started posting on NSC (1999) come January the cry has gone up: "Forget the Cup, the League is far more important this year. It's vital we get promoted / avoid relegation this season. Next season we can take the Cup seriously, but not this." And like tomorrow, 'next season' never comes.

So how about it? Full-strength team at Bournemouth and give it a go? After all the "We're never going to win it so why bother?" argument can't be made any more, and as we're mid-table at Christmas we're pretty much as 'safe' as we're ever going to be. I'm hoping to find support especially amongst those who moan about the 'negativity' of our approach to League games and moan that the limit of our ambitions is to only lose narrowly at the likes of Man City whilst we chase that all-important 17th place. Let's give it a go this year..

giphy.gif

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Has the 1st string / 2nd string got a bit blurred over the last couple of games? ???

Exactly.. We may end up giving Bruno, Murray, Stephens, Kayal and Bong a run out in the cup. how times have changed

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
By my reckoning we now have two very decent XIs when everyone's available;

Ryan, Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Bong, Knockaert, Stephens, Propper, Izquierdo, Gross, Murray

Steele / Button, Montoya, Balogan, Burn / White, Bernardo, March, Bissouma, Kayal, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone

Might mix and match what would be first choice and what second, but neither looks considerably weaker than the other. By my reckoning we could change the entire team and still have a good chance against even those around us.

This is dead right.

I would add: let's wait and see who's still standing after the next 6 games (in 4 weeks) before the Cup. Suspensions/injuries/Asia cup may well disrupt best laid plans.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here