Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

1 Not allowed!
    Ideal opportunity to give the fringe players game time. Given that we can win 1 game and lose the other I would sooner that we won the league game.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Judging by the other day, our reserve side could include Bong, Bruno, Stephens, Knockaert, Jahanbahksh, Andone, Balogun - i.e., not that shabby

0 Not allowed!
      We reached the quarter finals last year and put in a highly creditable performance away to Manchester United. We also beat Palace and won away at Middlesbrough to reach that stage so I don't know what more we could hope for. Murray scored in both games albeit off the bench so I think just more of the same.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Reddleman View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We reached the quarter finals last year and put in a highly creditable performance away to Manchester United. We also beat Palace and won away at Middlesbrough to reach that stage so I don't know what more we could hope for. Murray scored in both games albeit off the bench so I think just more of the same.
      Yes, I accept that (and other posters who've made similar points). But you never got the feeling that we (club and fans) were 100% committed to it as the team selection showed. Maybe more committed than in previous, lower league seasons; but Cup progress was always very much seen as being of secondary importance.
      "Well it was our first season in the PL", I hear you say, "Winning League games and staying up was more important." Ok, to a large extent I'll accept that, hence my view that this season could we look to actually trying to make Cup games on a par with League ones?

Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Well we'll certainly have Button or Steele in the side, but other than that there is no reason not to field a first XI, as we have a good haul of league points in the bag already.

And the fixtures fall kindly after the cup game with a week until Liverpool then another week until Man Utd - not exactly *must win* 6-pointers.
      Out of contract June 2019 : Bruno, Bong
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      By my reckoning we now have two very decent XIs when everyone's available;

Ryan, Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Bong, Knockaert, Stephens, Propper, Izquierdo, Gross, Murray

Steele / Button, Montoya, Balogan, Burn / White, Bernardo, March, Bissouma, Kayal, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone

Might mix and match what would be first choice and what second, but neither looks considerably weaker than the other. By my reckoning we could change the entire team and still have a good chance against even those around us.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brovion View Post
      Every year since I first started posting on NSC (1999) come January the cry has gone up: "Forget the Cup, the League is far more important this year. It's vital we get promoted / avoid relegation this season. Next season we can take the Cup seriously, but not this." And like tomorrow, 'next season' never comes.

So how about it? Full-strength team at Bournemouth and give it a go? After all the "We're never going to win it so why bother?" argument can't be made any more, and as we're mid-table at Christmas we're pretty much as 'safe' as we're ever going to be. I'm hoping to find support especially amongst those who moan about the 'negativity' of our approach to League games and moan that the limit of our ambitions is to only lose narrowly at the likes of Man City whilst we chase that all-important 17th place. Let's give it a go this year..

EDIT: Of course in earlier years the 'Forget the Cup' cry went up a lot earlier than January ...
      Sadly, I think Big Chris and Barber may have already read your plea. And deleted...
      "Never miss a good chance to shut up"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Forget the Cup, the League is far more important!!

Injuries and suspensions are already putting the squeeze on the squad so ideal opportunity to play the young 'uns and give then some experience.

1 Not allowed!
      Go for it. One game at a time. I always think you can get injured in training so why not give them a rest day during the week and a cup game at the weekend.

You never know we might even get a trip to Wembley.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post
      Can imagine a team line along the lines of this for 3rd round game

Steele
      Bruno Balogun Burn Bong
      Ali J Kayal Bissouma Gyokeres
      Locadia Connolly
      Iran's first match in the AFC Asian Cup is on Monday January 7, so I imagine Ali J will not be available.

Viktor Gyokeres has been invited to a Sweden full national team training camp in Qatar from January 3 - 13 2019.