Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Parking Problem & A Ticket Help Needed

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Hi all, not sure if I have any chance of contesting this one and winning, so any help appreciated.

My mum is in Worthing hospital and my dad who suffers with dementia has been getting me to take him to see her every day, we parked in Homefield Road today on a single yellow line, with his disabled blue badge showing at 1.45pm, came back at 3pm to find a ticket on the car. Now I thought that the 10 to 11am & 2 to 3pm was for the bays only. Especially as the signs are situated at the end of the parking bays and not in front of the single yellow line. The ticket says "Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours"

Any help would be appreciated, my dad said he would pay for it, they are both in their 90's, and £35 is a lot for them, so I will probably end up paying it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hope you get this refunded, I know being elderly this has probably taken on monumental proportions for them and is causing lots of stress and worry where younger people wouldn’t give a second thought.

Jul 7, 2003
Hi all, not sure if I have any chance of contesting this one and winning, so any help appreciated.

My mum is in Worthing hospital and my dad who suffers with dementia has been getting me to take him to see her every day, we parked in Homefield Road today on a single yellow line, with his disabled blue badge showing at 1.45pm, came back at 3pm to find a ticket on the car. Now I thought that the 10 to 11am & 2 to 3pm was for the bays only. Especially as the signs are situated at the end of the parking bays and not in front of the single yellow line. The ticket says "Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours"

Any help would be appreciated, my dad said he would pay for it, they are both in their 90's, and £35 is a lot for them, so I will probably end up paying it.

Pop into the parking shop in town and explain the situation to them. If nothing else, they will be able to explain the appeals process for you.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Am I missing something? If you have a blue badge can't you park anywhere for two hours, except on double red lines?

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
No, there are restrictions if there are no loading or unloading markings on the kerb or by signage

I agree, I know he is not allowed to park where there are double yellow lines at right angles to the double yellow lines going along the road. But surely the 10 to 11 & 2 to 3 is for parking bays where the signs are.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

You can park on a DYL for 3 hours with a Blue Badge (as long as there are no kerb blips/loading restrictions but that 01 code tells me there were not).

Sounds like they either could not see the badge or it wasn't displayed the right way up. This will be cancelled first time, as long as he's not done this before.

There is also no risk in appealing because the £35 ''bargain'' (bribe) will be re-offered if they reject the appeal, which they won't.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You can park on a DYL for 3 hours with a Blue Badge (as long as there are no kerb blips/loading restrictions but that 01 code tells me there were not).

Sounds like they either could not see the badge or it wasn't displayed the right way up. This will be cancelled first time, as long as he's not done this before.

There is also no risk in appealing because the £35 ''bargain'' (bribe) will be re-offered if they reject the appeal, which they won't.

The lady hath spoken.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham

Thank you for your advice. The blue badge was the right way up, right in the middle of the dashboard, so easily seen. I think what I will do is firstly go to the parking shop to see what they say, and if no help I will challenge it.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
An update, I went the parking shop in Worthing, the man confirmed we had parked legally and could not understand why the ticket had been issued. Eventually he realised the insert inside the blue card was up the wrong way (probably due to his dementia) he told me to appeal. After we went to park at the hospital again today I spoke to a traffic warden who confirmed she would not have issued a ticket. She followed this up with there is a lot of fraud going on with the disabled cards, and so some of the wardens will issue a ticket if its not 100% correct.

I have tonight lodged my challenge on-line.
***Both me and my 90 year old dad would like to thank everyone who offered advice***

My dad told me the only good thing that has happened to him this week is hearing Brighton beat Palace and Brighton are 10th. It just shows what football can do :D

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
We did some work at Worthing Hospital when they built the Breast Cancer Clinic and at 5 to 10 the traffic warden would hide behind the tree at the end of the road and wait until nobody was looking from the site before nipping out and trying to ticket as many vans as possible.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
It's what they do all the time.

In Church Road, Hove near Thomas Cook, one CEO notes all the car VRNs then hides in Hove Newsagents so he can make it seem like he's been observing them for over 5 minutes, then he comes out and slaps a PCN on as many as possible for not being seen to load/unload, or not getting Pay & Display ticket in time.

Always use a single or DYL (with no kerb blips) when at a cashpoint, as the CEO has to observe for at least 5 mins before they can ticket on yellow lines

Also, always use a single or DYL to drop someone off/pick them up; as long as you are not obstructing anything or close to a junction of course, it's perfectly legal and what yellow lines are for, I always tell my young adult kids. If you have to wait more then 5 mins or if you are loading and have to leave the car to fetch or drop off an item quickly, roll the car forward a foot in between each fetch/carry, so the wheel valves aren't in the same place for too long. Scuppers any hiding CEO.

Dropping off kids to school is legal on yellow lines too (again, never obstructing/near a junction, and certainly never stopping on zigzags or in a bus stop).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Is this 5 minute rule a law or best practice? I parked in our town and got a ticket almost instantly and was away from the vehicle for less than 5 minutes anyway, I din't appeal just paid it, which I guess many do? This was about two years ago so that may make a difference?

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Is this 5 minute rule a law or best practice? I parked in our town and got a ticket almost instantly and was away from the vehicle for less than 5 minutes anyway, I din't appeal just paid it, which I guess many do? This was about two years ago so that may make a difference?

I can't give you an answer to your question, but I do agree with you a lot of people just pay. When we got the ticket my dad said he will just pay it as we everything going on he didn't want more worry to think about. I'm glad I have the support of NSC. THANKS:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

Makes no difference, you can't get an instant ticket on a single or double yellow, unless there are kerb blips as well and a loading ban (signs would have to be there).

All Councils must observe for at least 5 mins re single & double yellows, so that IS the place to stop. And in fact if you are dropping off/picking up or loading/unloading, those are exempt activities (the reason why a CEO has to observe for at least 5 mins to discount the possibility that you are exempt). You actually have up to 20 mins to load/unload if that's honestly what you are continuously doing.

You should have challenged the PCN if it was an 01 code, on an ordinary yellow line or DYL, on the basis of no observation period - and throw in that you were collecting an item. Even taking a parcel to the post office is exempt. Not shopping though, and never 'going to get change' which is not allowed as an appeal.

On parking forums, almost every council PCN can be successfully appealed because they are without merit, but CEOs issue them anyway, even if they know they are challengeable, because they also know most people just pay them. And loads are won because Councils muck up the appeals process - I won two TFL (one yellow box, one red route bay) PCNs for my niece due to TFL mucking up the admin.

People should not just pay them, they are easy to appeal, like private ones usually are too. No-one gets into trouble by appealing a PCN, the cost does not go up, and with Councils they re-offer the discount if they reject a first appeal, anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have seen a warden waiting alongside an illegally parked car for at least 5 minutes before writing up the ticket and taking photos of the vehicle and the signage by the car.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Makes no difference, you can't get an instant ticket on a single or double yellow, unless there are kerb blips as well and a loading ban (signs would have to be there).

All Councils must observe for at least 5 mins re single & double yellows, so that IS the place to stop. And in fact if you are dropping off/picking up or loading/unloading, those are exempt activities (the reason why a CEO has to observe for at least 5 mins to discount the possibility that you are exempt). You actually have up to 20 mins to load/unload if that's honestly what you are continuously doing.

You should have challenged the PCN if it was an 01 code, on an ordinary yellow line or DYL, on the basis of no observation period - and throw in that you were collecting an item. Even taking a parcel to the post office is exempt. Not shopping though, and never 'going to get change' which is not allowed as an appeal.

On parking forums, almost every council PCN can be successfully appealed because they are without merit, but CEOs issue them anyway, even if they know they are challengeable, because they also know most people just pay them. And loads are won because Councils muck up the appeals process - I won two TFL (one yellow box, one red route bay) PCNs for my niece due to TFL mucking up the admin.

People should not just pay them, they are easy to appeal, like private ones usually are too. No-one gets into trouble by appealing a PCN, the cost does not go up, and with Councils they re-offer the discount if they reject a first appeal, anyway.

Yes it was double yellows and an area where I have unloaded so many times, took one load in, got a signature and left, 3-4 mins max!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here