Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Nest thermostat

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I've bought myself a Nest learning thermostat to replace a wireless thermostat. Wireless thermostat is new (installed by the plumber as part of some works we recently did to the house), but rubbish. I had hoped the installation would be straightforward, but after opening the box I've lost my bottle.

I'm not going to be wiring in the thermostat itself, just the heat link.

Blue and brown wires I'm fine with connecting, just not sure what to do with the black and grey wires :lolol:

Don't much want to pay someone to install it before asking whether this is something I should be able to do myself with a bit of guidance, any thoughts?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm clueless at this sort of thing as well but i would suggest not touching the black wire for a bit until somebody with a CSE in electrocution level shows up .

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I'm clueless at this sort of thing as well but i would suggest not touching the black wire for a bit until somebody with a CSE in electrocution level shows up .

Based on no knowledge or experience, i'm 80% sure it's easy. Trouble is that 20% is deadly.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I'm not wholly up on Nest, but..

Take pic of existing stat wiring before doing anything else.. and say what is in where. Whats the wireless stat make/model, and why didnt you like it ? (got to see whether it's good enough as payment for tech advice.. :laugh: )

What boiler system do you have, just a combi or heating and hot water cylinder ? (Single or two channel)

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I'm not wholly up on Nest, but..

Take pic of existing stat wiring before doing anything else.. and say what is in where. Whats the wireless stat make/model, and why didnt you like it ? (got to see whether it's good enough as payment for tech advice.. :laugh: )

What boiler system do you have, just a combi or heating and hot water cylinder ? (Single or two channel)

It's a Delta Dore: https://www.manomano.co.uk/thermost...dio-delta-dore-6053035-404174?model_id=404174

Not being able to programme the times when it comes on and off makes it fairly useless for me. You'd be very welcome to it!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Back.jpg

Wiring.jpg

So I get that blue is neutral and brown is live. I then need to "Connect the heating control circuit to the Heat Link 1 (normally closed/satisfied), 2 (common), 3 (normally open/call-for-heat) as needed."

Trouble is, how do I know where to put the black cable and the grey cable!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I installed my Nest myself with a Worcester 28i Boiler. When I get home I can take some pics of the wiring if that helps?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So I get that blue is neutral and brown is live. I then need to "Connect the heating control circuit to the Heat Link 1 (normally closed/satisfied), 2 (common), 3 (normally open/call-for-heat) as needed."

Very nice manicure. Which salon do you use?

Sorry.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
View attachment 102711

View attachment 102712

Wiring - yes - if you carefully.. take of the cover of the fixed unit from the wall, what do you have there.?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That’s a 5 minute Job you just need to replace the existing wireless box with the heat link. Live/Neutral and call for heating which is proably the grey in your case. You need to link the live in the heat link post a pic of the heat link and I will explain.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
That’s a 5 minute Job you just need to replace the existing wireless box with the heat link. Live/Neutral and call for heating which is proably the grey in your case. You need to link the live in the heat link post a pic of the heat link and I will explain.

Exactly what I hoped. I found a wiring diagram for my current wireless box, blue neutral, brown live, black is common, grey is normally open/call for heat, just need to connect those to the relevant bits of the heat link, the heat link instructions confirm where they need to go. No need to touch the junction box.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Exactly what I hoped. I found a wiring diagram for my current wireless box, blue neutral, brown live, black is common, grey is normally open/call for heat, just need to connect those to the relevant bits of the heat link, the heat link instructions confirm where they need to go. No need to touch the junction box.
That’s it bud If the blacks common no need for a live link

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here