Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shoot the Palace scum - Really??

Obmit

Dec 5, 2018
First off - thank you BHAFC for a truly astounding display last night. So much good to say about that it's not true.

But....

This may be an unpopular post but I was curious if it’s just me that thinks this way.

As we all know, football has cleaned up it’s act and pretty successfully got rid of violence, racism and homophobia. Presumably everyone agrees that’s a good thing. Once upon a time I assume that even though many would have disapproved of one or more of those things, that yet everyone would just shrug their shoulders and say “that’s just part of football I’m afraid”. That was until someone actually stood up and did something about it. And then it wasn’t part of football any more and the game is all the better for it.

Well, I’d like to propose we carry on down that path a little further. Why don’t we all stop with the genuine abuse and hatred? Good natured banter is fine, lot’s of fun in fact. Having a rival - a pantomime villain - is also fun. But surely when I have to listen to 90 minutes of people screaming at the top of their lungs with genuine venom “Zaha you f***ing c**t!” “You f***ing w***er!” surely we have crossed way over a line from good natured banter into just plain ugly, moronic abuse. Why is that ok?

I know the history of why “we hate Palace”. But really? Really?!? Does anyone actually, *genuinely* see that as a reason to hate the whole football club 42 years later?? Like I said, if they're our pantomime villain and that’s the only pretext we need to make Crystal Palace that then fine. But honestly, why the genuine hostility and hatred?

I’m sure there are many who will tell me right where to stick my point of view. I’m just curious if anyone else out there feels it’s time to grow up a bit and move on?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have called Zaha a ****ing **** a great many times.
Yes it is moronic abuse.

But I enjoy it.
I mean it at the time. But only for those split seconds.

Much has been written about the psychology of the football fan.
releasing pent up emotions and all that. I think it's generally regarded as quite a healthy thing.

it is all pantomime, I enjoy it, and have a laugh at myself afterwards.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Tribalism keeps football passionate and interesting, else you wouldn't get games with the intensity of last night.

What you are proposing is the death of the game as far as I'm concerned, I've been in the 1901 and simialar corporate affairs and it is a soul destroying experience of impassioned individuals. If ever we get to that stage then football will be done for me. Visiting the Emirates last season is a good indication of it moving in the direction you want.

They are just words, there is no intent to 'shoot', or in most cases, harm anyone. It's just a pantomime display of an exaggerated hate of another club/individual. Long may it continue.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
:wozza:

I dont think football is the game for you mate, how much more sterile do you want the game to be ???

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
First off - thank you BHAFC for a truly astounding display last night. So much good to say about that it's not true.

But....

This may be an unpopular post but I was curious if it’s just me that thinks this way.

As we all know, football has cleaned up it’s act and pretty successfully got rid of violence, racism and homophobia. Presumably everyone agrees that’s a good thing. Once upon a time I assume that even though many would have disapproved of one or more of those things, that yet everyone would just shrug their shoulders and say “that’s just part of football I’m afraid”. That was until someone actually stood up and did something about it. And then it wasn’t part of football any more and the game is all the better for it.

Well, I’d like to propose we carry on down that path a little further. Why don’t we all stop with the genuine abuse and hatred? Good natured banter is fine, lot’s of fun in fact. Having a rival - a pantomime villain - is also fun. But surely when I have to listen to 90 minutes of people screaming at the top of their lungs with genuine venom “Zaha you f***ing c**t!” “You f***ing w***er!” surely we have crossed way over a line from good natured banter into just plain ugly, moronic abuse. Why is that ok?

I know the history of why “we hate Palace”. But really? Really?!? Does anyone actually, *genuinely* see that as a reason to hate the whole football club 42 years later?? Like I said, if they're our pantomime villain and that’s the only pretext we need to make Crystal Palace that then fine. But honestly, why the genuine hostility and hatred?

I’m sure there are many who will tell me right where to stick my point of view. I’m just curious if anyone else out there feels it’s time to grow up a bit and move on?

Are you new to football?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Next you’ll be saying it’s only a game and it doesn’t matter who wins

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hmm. getting up set a silly song sung by beered up lads. i recall being pelted with stones by Palace fans while stuck in the rail queue couple games back. which one is a greater concern?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Oh do f*** off. From a tart that had to open a new account because you don't have the balls to stand by your own opinion.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I may be the victim of a major whooshing here, but I agree with the OP.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

But....

Go back to watching tennis then.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here