Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shoot the Palace scum - Really??

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
First off - thank you BHAFC for a truly astounding display last night. So much good to say about that it's not true.

But....

This may be an unpopular post but I was curious if it’s just me that thinks this way.

As we all know, football has cleaned up it’s act and pretty successfully got rid of violence, racism and homophobia. Presumably everyone agrees that’s a good thing. Once upon a time I assume that even though many would have disapproved of one or more of those things, that yet everyone would just shrug their shoulders and say “that’s just part of football I’m afraid”. That was until someone actually stood up and did something about it. And then it wasn’t part of football any more and the game is all the better for it.

Well, I’d like to propose we carry on down that path a little further. Why don’t we all stop with the genuine abuse and hatred? Good natured banter is fine, lot’s of fun in fact. Having a rival - a pantomime villain - is also fun. But surely when I have to listen to 90 minutes of people screaming at the top of their lungs with genuine venom “Zaha you f***ing c**t!” “You f***ing w***er!” surely we have crossed way over a line from good natured banter into just plain ugly, moronic abuse. Why is that ok?

I know the history of why “we hate Palace”. But really? Really?!? Does anyone actually, *genuinely* see that as a reason to hate the whole football club 42 years later?? Like I said, if they're our pantomime villain and that’s the only pretext we need to make Crystal Palace that then fine. But honestly, why the genuine hostility and hatred?

I’m sure there are many who will tell me right where to stick my point of view. I’m just curious if anyone else out there feels it’s time to grow up a bit and move on?

What a WET LETTUCE

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I may be the victim of a major whooshing here, but I agree with the OP.

I don't agree with the OP. I have never sung 'shoot the Palace scum' but it doesn't bother me that others do. However in West Upper last night lots of people joined in with the song, then their singing went mute at the 'shoot' bit in much the same way the Lumberjack song collapses when the Mounties are invited to sing about dressing up in 'suspendees and a bra'. I must admit, that did make me titter. Its not as if everyone hasn't heard the song a million times. Anyway I thing the OP is on a wind up... [MENTION=28109]Wellesley[/MENTION] may be half right....

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I actually agree with the OP. All you hard nuts laughing at the the OP’s condemnation of violent threats and vitriol as part and parcel of a “derby” would dutifully and collectively turn to outraged horror if someone referred to his colour. Tribalism is almost indistinguishable from racism. It’s pathetic watching most of you tiptoe around it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. Although it’s a highly unpopular solution in today’s world. Far better to be permanently outraged at zillions of things both near and far but none really any of my business. In a word, “entitlement”.

To be fair the OP doesn't sound 'permanently outraged' to me at all. Haven't I told you a million billion times to not exaggerate???

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I actually agree with the OP. All you hard nuts laughing at the the OP’s condemnation of violent threats and vitriol as part and parcel of a “derby” would dutifully and collectively turn to outraged horror if someone referred to his colour. Tribalism is almost indistinguishable from racism. It’s pathetic watching most of you tiptoe around it

???:laugh::wozza:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

has anyone mentioned colour of skin? nah thought not

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To be fair the OP doesn't sound 'permanently outraged' to me at all. Haven't I told you a million billion times to not exaggerate???

...and one! Besides I’m outraged you’re not outraged at the outrage shown by the OP. In a word, ‘outrageous’

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
First off - thank you BHAFC for a truly astounding display last night. So much good to say about that it's not true.

As you may have noticed, I've taken the liberty to do a very small editing of your post to avoid any possible change in the feel-good factor on NSC less than 24 hours after one of our greatest victories.

You're welcome.

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
I think you want Rugby Union mate - you can all sit together and have a beer and chat about your share portfolio whilst watching big guys nibbling each others ears .

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

But....

This may be an unpopular post but I was curious if it’s just me that thinks this way.

As we all know, football has cleaned up it’s act and pretty successfully got rid of violence, racism and homophobia. Presumably everyone agrees that’s a good thing. Once upon a time I assume that even though many would have disapproved of one or more of those things, that yet everyone would just shrug their shoulders and say “that’s just part of football I’m afraid”. That was until someone actually stood up and did something about it. And then it wasn’t part of football any more and the game is all the better for it.

Well, I’d like to propose we carry on down that path a little further. Why don’t we all stop with the genuine abuse and hatred? Good natured banter is fine, lot’s of fun in fact. Having a rival - a pantomime villain - is also fun. But surely when I have to listen to 90 minutes of people screaming at the top of their lungs with genuine venom “Zaha you f***ing c**t!” “You f***ing w***er!” surely we have crossed way over a line from good natured banter into just plain ugly, moronic abuse. Why is that ok?

I know the history of why “we hate Palace”. But really? Really?!? Does anyone actually, *genuinely* see that as a reason to hate the whole football club 42 years later?? Like I said, if they're our pantomime villain and that’s the only pretext we need to make Crystal Palace that then fine. But honestly, why the genuine hostility and hatred?

I’m sure there are many who will tell me right where to stick my point of view. I’m just curious if anyone else out there feels it’s time to grow up a bit and move on?

Apologies, I haven't read the whole thread yet so this may have been said previously BUT Zaha IS the pantomime villain. We're not at the theatre (although Zaha does act well) it's a bloody football match.
It's not genuine hatred, I actually have friends who support palace and apart from that minor flaw i really like them. You're just being a **** (You're probably Hopkins)!
*Edit to add*.. * asterisks didn't cover a word that began with 'C' and ended in 'T'. It was a mild banter word that started with 'T' and ended with 'T'.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

But....

Jesus wept

On a day to day basis i don't care too much about the rivalry, but on the night when it goes well on the pitch it's bloody brilliant. Still absolutely buzzing about last night and everything that went with it

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

But....

Zaha is a ****.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have no problem with the jumping around, singing and shouting in fact I think it should happen more all across the stadium. But I don't understand why people are abusive.

Every club has a handful of undesirables but I thought last night was a great spectacle from both sets of fans if you can blank out the occasional cursing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here