Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk's celebration after Balogun's goal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyway, our true rivals were always Pompy. And we rarely played them. And it really meant something only for those who lived in places like Bognor (in between). Nobody south of Gatwick supports Palace surely?
Yeah they do. Quite a few people who grew up in Mid-Sussex supported Palace, so we were always more bothered about Palace than Pompey. Understandably Brighton fans who grew up towards Portsmouth would have seen them as rivals.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was sitting front row and had the clearest of views.
It's not our eyesight that's in question, but our memories.

I'd put money on it being Bridcutt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really ? I've never thought of them as that. And they definitely haven't.

It was what was said when I first started going. My next door neighbour (who had a season ticket in the West stand) was always banging on about it. That said, he was a bank manager, working west of Portslade somewhere. Of course, as far as they are concerned, it is Stains all the way, so yes, fair enough.

Reality is we have no local rivals because we have no nearby sides. Yes, we developed a loathing for Palace in the mid and late 70s, but Palace weren't the only local-ish (60 mile radius) side to bring down their twerps for a kerfuffle, so until the Mullery episode there was no specific reason for us to think anything especially rivally about Palace any more than Spuds (I remember them coming down in the late 70s, serenading is with 'Seeweeds' etc), Millwall (in their J cloth masks) and even Cardiff (I recall some of their goons alledgedly attempting to get into the Hungry Years with a harpoon gun). Palace weren't exceptional as rivals at the time. I accept there is a rivalry with Palace now, but it is only 40 years old (you and I are 20 years older than that), it isn't 'local' (like Liverpool and Everton, Spuds and Arse, Citeh and ManUre) and it DEFFO isn't called the M sodding 23. Apart from that you have a valid point :lolol::kiss::thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Reality is we have no local rivals because we have no nearby sides. Yes, we developed a loathing for Palace in the mid and late 70s, but Palace weren't the only local-ish (60 mile radius) side to bring down their twerps for a kerfuffle, so until the Mullery episode there was no specific reason for us to think anything especially rivally about Palace any more than Spuds (I remember them coming down in the late 70s, serenading is with 'Seeweeds' etc), Millwall (in their J cloth masks) and even Cardiff (I recall some of their goons alledgedly attempting to get into the Hungry Years with a harpoon gun). Palace weren't exceptional as rivals at the time. I accept there is a rivalry with Palace now, but it is only 40 years old (you and I are 20 years older than that), it isn't 'local' (like Liverpool and Everton, Spuds and Arse, Citeh and ManUre) and it DEFFO isn't called the M sodding 23.
All sounds about right.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

You cheeky terrapin.

Look the ball went out right from the goalie to [Bruno/Bridcutt/Norman Gall??] that player passed it square across the pitch but it was a bad delivery meaning Dunk had to battle with Bolasie to gain control. Now I was in the front seat so had an uninterrupted view.

I am not a betting man.

But my memory may be failing me as much as James Tomkins pace I failing him..

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
It was what was said when I first started going. My next door neighbour (who had a season ticket in the West stand) was always banging on about it. That said, he was a bank manager, working west of Portslade somewhere. Of course, as far as they are concerned, it is Stains all the way, so yes, fair enough.

Reality is we have no local rivals because we have no nearby sides. Yes, we developed a loathing for Palace in the mid and late 70s, but Palace weren't the only local-ish (60 mile radius) side to bring down their twerps for a kerfuffle, so until the Mullery episode there was no specific reason for us to think anything especially rivally about Palace any more than Spuds (I remember them coming down in the late 70s, serenading is with 'Seeweeds' etc), Millwall (in their J cloth masks) and even Cardiff (I recall some of their goons alledgedly attempting to get into the Hungry Years with a harpoon gun). Palace weren't exceptional as rivals at the time. I accept there is a rivalry with Palace now, but it is only 40 years old (you and I are 20 years older than that), it isn't 'local' (like Liverpool and Everton, Spuds and Arse, Citeh and ManUre) and it DEFFO isn't called the M sodding 23. Apart from that you have a valid point :lolol::kiss::thumbsup:

It was Millwall at the Hungry Years... the same day as the J-Cloths...

I had a front row seat so to speak...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Can we stop using the media made up m23 derby. If anything it’s the A 23, bloody M23 didn’t exist when this started and doesn’t link the two places either. It’s the A23 or nothing! :rant::angry:

Hmm, the M23 derby... I never knew Hooley v Pease Pottage was a thing!

:ffsparr:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I remember our 4-5 season long rivalry with with Orient. Matches during that period known as the 'Scottmcgleishisawankerisaswanker Derby'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not in the keeper's way IMO, so goal correctly stood.

BALO10ad2ae6498b4f20b.gif

He was in front of the keeper and pretty much in line with Balogun - I've seen those disallowed.

After all the Huddersfield grizzling over the decisions at the weekend, I'm now greatly enjoying the Palace sense of "injustice" over all this. I also enjoyed Tomkins last night bellowing at the ref "I NEVER TOUCHED THE BALL" when he cut Murray down and the corner was awarded. If you nevr touched the ball, Tommy, then you were bloody fortunate it wasn't a PEN weren't you, dumbo.

How great would that have been if the ref had said "Oh, didn't you ? Ok then" and pointed to the spot :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did you mean Alfie Mawson? It was shocking to me that Mawson was ever considered to be in Dunk's class. Most people who have ever watched Dunk really rate him except our ever-deluded friends, the Nigels. Dunk might well end up playing for one of the big big clubs, and when he does he'll probably prove good enough to play more than 2 league games for them.
and BG.

Yeah, I knew it was wrong I just couldn't be bothered to think where I was wrong!!

BG is all over this Summers Reading defender transfer rumour thread (Moore - although I've probably got that wrong too) saying how Dunk wasn't as good as Mawson and only worth £10m

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Sorry if this is fixtures, but just noticed on the highlights reel Dunk's celebration after Balogun's goal. His immediate thought was not 'Let's celebrate with my team mates' but 'Let's wind up the Palace fans'.

He's one of our own.... etc.

He looked well pleased when he came over to the NS at the end

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With you on this, Porty. Perhaps we should call it the 'Little Old (pretend) derby' or the 'Because of Boxing day rematch'. Anyway, our true rivals were always Pompy. And we rarely played them. And it really meant something only for those who lived in places like Bognor (in between). Nobody south of Gatwick supports Palace surely?

Crawley is the traditional line, plenty of Palace there and few Albion. But who cares, we all know Crawley should be in Surrey ;)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Crawley is the traditional line, plenty of Palace there and few Albion. But who cares, we all know Crawley should be in Surrey ;)
I'd say there are more Brighton than Palace in Crawley but more than anything it's infested with big club armchairs who should be supporting Crawley Town.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I'd say there are more Brighton than Palace in Crawley but more than anything it's infested with big club armchairs who should be supporting Crawley Town.

When I used to get the train from London to Brighton (Withdean years) about 5 Brighton fans would get on at Three Bridges whilst the London platform was absolutely rammed full with supporters (mainly Chelsea) going to North. I have and always will hate Crawley, in my mind it's not even in Sussex

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

The latter is true. The former, well, it wasn't like that when we were on our knees so they must be JCLs...in which case, they're big club armchairs, trojan jockeys, 5th columnists, deserters, whatever contemptuous label best suits! :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You cheeky terrapin.

Look the ball went out right from the goalie to [Bruno/Bridcutt/Norman Gall??] that player passed it square across the pitch but it was a bad delivery meaning Dunk had to battle with Bolasie to gain control. Now I was in the front seat so had an uninterrupted view.

I am not a betting man.

But my memory may be failing me as much as James Tomkins pace I failing him..

So was it Bridders, Bruno or A.N. Other...? ???

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

Don't forget Luton preceded Palace for kerfuffles late 60's/ early 70's, despite the distance. Boots off and all lined up outside the North stand.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When Johnny Comes Marching?

LOL!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here