Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reflections on last night

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
After a delayed/cancelled, train fiasco at East Croydon my train limped into Blackfriars at 00:35 and I finally got back to my son’s flat at 01:30, walking home in the pouring rain. Soaked to the skin, I did not care a jot and was (and still am) grinning from ear to ear. I could not sleep until after 3 a.m., recalling the evening’s events over and over again. That was a truly special Albion effort, not just because we thumped our arch-rivals Palace, but because the manner in which we competed for the full 90 minutes was truly exhilarating. I was emotionally exhausted at the end of it all!

As complete a performance as I can recall and I have followed the Albion for 55 years. That game is up there with our all-time bests and is already written into Albion folklore. Everything clicked into place and at times we were sublime. Pure theatre, and the storyline – down to 10 men, a substitute scoring a crucial, killer goal within 25 seconds of coming on and another substitute scoring one of the most incredible solo goals we’ll ever see at the Amex – was straight out of “Roy of the Rovers”. You could not have written a script for that, it was remarkable.

Every time we scored it was delirium among the fans and high-fives and hugs all round, even with total strangers! Even some of our usually more reserved fans did their bit to add fuel to the febrile atmosphere and, as a result, the Amex was rocking last night, with every Albion fan doing us proud. Fabulous scenes for all to savour.

A real blood-and-guts performance from the Albion, who seemed far more aware than the Palace players of what the fixture meant to their fans. A Palace fan I spoke to on the train home was very humble and said that after beating (a poor) Burnley on Saturday they thought we’d be there for the taking. How utterly wrong they were, and he (a Hughton fan, fair play to him) was very complimentary about how incredibly well drilled we were versus the shambolic Eagles on the night.

We were hungrier, more combative, more committed in every department and wanted it far more than Palace. It showed from the kick off and we never wavered for 90 minutes. Every single member of the spirited, cohesive and excellent Albion team earned their stripes (pardon the pun) last night and I can’t recall the last time I got so emotional over such an emphatic win (..okay, some pre-match Harveys may have been consumed to “steady the nerves”!).

The scenes at the final whistle when the crowd stayed on to cheer off the team were wonderful. Yesterday evening was one of those “I was there” moments we will always remember.

It is very cold and wet here today but I do not care. I am still glowing after last night and still grinning like a Cheshire cat. I think I will be for several days yet. I am sure that many of you are feeling the same.

Have a wonderful day, keep looking at the goal clips online and always remember what a special club we are all privileged to be part of.

Up the Albion! :albion2:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Word up, my brother!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Nice post. It's great our club can produce emotive feelings as this. We should all saviour the moment, we are tenth in The Premier League and putting down a base for survival and improvement. Last night was one of the most exciting games I have witnessed, superb.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have a wonderful day, keep looking at the goal clips online and always remember what a special club we are all privileged to be part of.

That's my day right there.

The roar of the Amex crowd for the second and, particularly, third goal is quite something.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Thanks to all the players and Chris, they really understood the meaning this match had for us dedicated fans. UTA for Saturday and hopefully another three points.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Every time I look at those goals I get something in my eye !
I just fvcking LOVE this club and these players

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's my day right there.

The roar of the Amex crowd for the second and, particularly, third goal is quite something.

Sat watching the loop on Sky Sports News, over, and over, and over, and over again!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For me, last night finally laid to rest the playoff pain.

We got to the premier league anyway. In better shape than we would have done back then.
Palace really haven't done anything with the 4 year head start on us.
Our future looks a lot brighter than theirs

Last night was close to perfection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here