Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southampton sack Hughes

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Loathe the man and his arrogance but the club's board really are a mess.

I wonder what has happened?

For a few years they were a model club. They recruited incredibly well. Made millions in profit from transfers and seemed to always have replacements in the wings whether from their academy, or shrewd recruitment. Managerial appointments were also progressive, Pochettino, Koeman, Puel. It all seems to have gone to shit, panicked appointing Hughes, not committed to the transfer market, where have the £100s of millions gone? It's all gone sour somewhere.

SAC

May 21, 2014

For a few years they were a model club. They recruited incredibly well. Made millions in profit from transfers and seemed to always have replacements in the wings whether from their academy, or shrewd recruitment. Managerial appointments were also progressive, Pochettino, Koeman, Puel. It all seems to have gone to shit, panicked appointing Hughes, not committed to the transfer market, where have the £100s of millions gone? It's all gone sour somewhere.

Indeed. I remember when Charlton were thought of as a well run club, famously loyal to Curbishley then famously disloyal to him. Since then the rot set in.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Their academy has stopped turning out superstars which hasn’t helped, also their owner/benefactor died (a while back) which caused upheaval. Both of these things have contributed I guess.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
They sacked Puel just 17 months ago. That is looking clever now isn't it.

Sacked him because the fans felt he was too negative and boring. In his only season with them he got to the League Cup Final and finished 8th. Yes, 8th.

Let that sink in for a moment...1 season, finished 8th and reached a cup final. Sacked for being a bit too defensive.

Paul Doyle said "a victim of Southampton's admirably unreasonable expectations".

Take heed.

Well said Sir.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Even less money now given that buying out Sparkys contract probably cost them a few Bob.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

How can they not have any money, given all the cash they have received over the last few years for player?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. They (and Burnley) are living proof that outside of the big clubs there is no such thing as an 'established premier league club'. We're all just one season and a few poor decisions away from relegation. Once you get comfortable and start thinking you're 'established' and are looking to 'move to the next level' - you're ****ed.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I read a few weeks back that their owner was going to ignore all the people that knew anything about football and was going to appoint the man that he wanted it came to sacking Hughes. Since then he's sacked half the back room staff anyway.
Excellent stuff - hopefully no dead cat bounce from them

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Markus Liebherr died and left the club to his daughter who wanted her money out so sold to the highest bidder. In that time Marco Cortese also left.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Their academy has stopped turning out superstars which hasn’t helped, also their owner/benefactor died (a while back) which caused upheaval. Both of these things have contributed I guess.

Did they only have their superstar academy players because they could afford to play them in competitive games and develop them because they had dropped down the leagues and were in League 1? Now they are in the Premier League, is it a case of that being too much of a risk to blood their youngsters and so they've brought in experienced and more consistent players instead? (which is where their money has gone?)

Would those players have had the chance if they were always a premier League team? or would they have brought in players who had experience already instead?
Would those players have been as good if they hadn't have been able to get game time in League 1 and the Championship?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sadly I dont think Southampton will be as stupid as Stoke to put Someone like Paul Lambert in charge, Still plenty of the season left to turn things around which is a shame.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Shame. He was certain to take them down. Hope they make an equally bad appointment to replace him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here