Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Sausage Recipes please

Jul 7, 2003
I buy turkey sausages with garlic and chilli from my local farmers market. Delicious.View attachment 102568

Those guys have been around for years but I found the quality very hit and miss over the last couple of years and stopped buying from them. Also think they have gone for cheaper sausage skins as they always split which they didn't do when I first started buying.

As for sausage flavours, chilli and dark chocolate works well and I am also sucker for a marmite sausage.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sausage surprise

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you want to make the best sausage rolls....

You need a not too ground sausage meat, I think the best is waitrose - the one with nutmeg.

Either sausages or sausage meat - doesn't matter. If you want to go my way, it's two packs of the sausage meat (about 450g) and two packs of Jus Roll pre rolled vegetable fat puff pastry.

The butter based one is two greasy (more later) and other brands simply aren't as good.

You then 1) Accentuate the flavours of the meat 2) Add to the meat what you would eat it with.

So I add more nutmeg, onion and garlic powder (not salt) and pepper and two each tablespoons of mustard, brown sauce and ketchup. You then add a handful of breadcrumbs to counter act the liquid you have added.

Now the important bit.

The pastry rolls are cut into two on the longest edge.

You split the mixture in 4 and roll to the length of the pastry.

You brush the inside of the pastry with mustard.

You egg and bread crumb (yes really) the sausage meat before putting in the pastry. It works on the beef wellington technique of wrapping in pancake, soaking up the extra liquid.

Glaze with egg and meat and cook at 180, turning down a bit before the end so the pastry doesn't burn.

Now the controversial bit. Cover the sausage rolls in foil and let steam a bit. The pastry turn chewy and you will have sausage rolls oozing with flavour.

I make them all the time the previous night and cook them in the morning and take them into work. I've got 6 tiles wrapped in foil that I heat up in the oven and put in the bottom of a thermos bag, cork tile underneath to stop it melting the bag.

I open the bag at work to what I can only describe as a "pork sauna".

They are gone in minutes.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I seem to think that this is why the majority of recipes advise using pork belly as it has a high fat %.

Thanks, and I will guinea pig the recipe this week. No guinea pig included in the recipe ingredients of course.

Any half decent veggie recipes?

TNBA

TTF

The previous Mrs W ate guinea pig when she went to South America so I wouldn't discount it entirely if I were you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I could eat a plate of brussel sprouts on their own. They have to be cooked so that they
are soft though. Why the **** do restaurants think that hard brussels are good?

I can and do - I've even had them for breakfast. Cook them soft as you say and then add a dash of garlic infused olive oil and a pinch of rock salt - food fit for a king !

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If you want to make the best sausage rolls....

You need a not too ground sausage meat, I think the best is waitrose - the one with nutmeg.

Either sausages or sausage meat - doesn't matter. If you want to go my way, it's two packs of the sausage meat (about 450g) and two packs of Jus Roll pre rolled vegetable fat puff pastry.

The butter based one is two greasy (more later) and other brands simply aren't as good.

You then 1) Accentuate the flavours of the meat 2) Add to the meat what you would eat it with.

So I add more nutmeg, onion and garlic powder (not salt) and pepper and two each tablespoons of mustard, brown sauce and ketchup. You then add a handful of breadcrumbs to counter act the liquid you have added.

Now the important bit.

The pastry rolls are cut into two on the longest edge.

You split the mixture in 4 and roll to the length of the pastry.

You brush the inside of the pastry with mustard.

You egg and bread crumb (yes really) the sausage meat before putting in the pastry. It works on the beef wellington technique of wrapping in pancake, soaking up the extra liquid.

Glaze with egg and meat and cook at 180, turning down a bit before the end so the pastry doesn't burn.

Now the controversial bit. Cover the sausage rolls in foil and let steam a bit. The pastry turn chewy and you will have sausage rolls oozing with flavour.

I make them all the time the previous night and cook them in the morning and take them into work. I've got 6 tiles wrapped in foil that I heat up in the oven and put in the bottom of a thermos bag, cork tile underneath to stop it melting the bag.

I open the bag at work to what I can only describe as a "pork sauna".

They are gone in minutes.

That sounds outstanding!* I’ll give that a go on Sunday.

*apart from the steaming in foil bit. Obviously. Who wants chewy pastry on a sausage roll? On anything really? :wink:

Jul 7, 2003
I commend anyone who can make a cracking scotch egg at the first time of asking. So there's your challenge OP!

Making scotch eggs is hard enough - I tried to perfect the runny yolk versions. Needless to say, many eggs were broken in achieving this. You have to soft boil the eggs and then drop them straight into iced water to stop them cooking. The biggest issue is peeling the eggs end then trying not to burst them when wrapping them in the sausage meat.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Making scotch eggs is hard enough - I tried to perfect the runny yolk versions. Needless to say, many eggs were broken in achieving this. You have to soft boil the eggs and then drop them straight into iced water to stop them cooking. The biggest issue is peeling the eggs end then trying not to burst them when wrapping them in the sausage meat.

Yes I make them, but haven't in a while. Can't remember - but I googled perfect soft boiled eggs.

It was some trick with perfect timing, but I think the eggs went into cold water - when the water comes to the boil you time to minute then into iced water as you say.

I also seem to recall it's best to crack the eggs slightly then put back into the water for a while before peeling.

The rest is relatively easy - but you do really need a fryer.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Abbey Clancy will be happy.

51138300_1443098799157924_6989634849866776576_n.png

https://www.facebook.com/heysfamilybutchers/posts/1443101392490998

As well as feasting on Peter Crouch's sausage, she'll also be able to sample a Red Hot Robot :cool:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have never tried making sausages as we do not eat that many as a family but when we do have sausages wife is fussy so any good recommendations of where I can buy them from. I have tried the butchers in Martletts Burgess Hill they were ok but nothing special.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Jeans Sausage Surprise

Ingredients

1 onion chopped

1 tin chopped tomato

2 tablespoons of beef paste

175g cheese grated

50g fresh breadcrumbs

1 teaspoon seafood sauce

1 tin baked beans

8 sausages

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Method

Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
Cook the sausages under a grill.
Fry the onion in a little oil.
Add the tomatoes, baked beans and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Add the cheese to the breadcrumbs.
Add the sausages to the tomato and baked bean sauce and place in an ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and crunchy - yum!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here