Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Huddersfield investigating 'homophobic chanting' at yesterdays match

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Why are you bothered by people being bothered about something?

It's like being a reverse-snowflake, getting worked up about things other people get worked up about.

If a load of gay Huddersfield fans don't want to hear that at their home ground, so what? How does either homophobic chanting or complaining about it impact your enjoyment of football? And what is wrong with flower arranging, perhaps you should try it and use your soap box to store your seedlings in. Win win.

Not overly bothered to be honest. Bored at home.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
No, but I am bothered that you are bothered by me being potentially bothered about someone being bothered about someone else's bothering.

Due to a beautiful floral arranging talent, I am of peaceful mind, body and soul. :thumbsup:

Out of interest are you bothered by our poll to vote for biggest Palace Scumbag . Maybe we can chant to the winner tomorrow night !!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not overly bothered to be honest. Bored at home.

Well fair enough. If you are bored, go on, pop out and get the missus a nice bunch of flowers, trim the stems at an angle, remove excess foliage, get them arranged in a nice vase. If you are met with "what have you done wrong?" you'll know you haven't been doing that enough. :D

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
The look on the Millwall fans' faces when that one came up a few seasons ago at theirs was priceless (1-0 to the Nancy boys).

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I hope there is football should be played in a tribal atmosphere.

Right. Tribal as in team vs team. Not fans vs a group of unrelated people of one sexuality whose sexuality has nothing to do with the game at hand.

You wouldn't walk past someone and sing such things in the street because, guess what, it's a crime in the same way abusing someone of a disability is or calling someone a ****** is. So what is it about football that makes you think it's okay in a footballing context to sing such things, even though such chants are criminal behaviour in every day life?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Growing pains innit. In the 1970s lots of stuff that virtually everyone now considers as unacceptable blatant racism was considered harmless banter by many. Hopefully by the 2020s the same journey will have been completed for homophobia. Perceptions change over time when behaviour is challenged. Fair play to the Hudds LGBT group for taking a stand and helping the progressive journey along.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The look on the Millwall fans' faces when that one came up a few seasons ago at theirs was priceless (1-0 to the Nancy boys).

I'm with you. 1-0 to the Nancy Boys has to be one of the most satisfying chants of the last 40 years, it is brilliant on a number of levels.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'm with you. 1-0 to the Nancy Boys has to be one of the most satisfying chants of the last 40 years, it is brilliant on a number of levels.

I tend to agree with this. I guess the sad part is that we live in a world where people have to come up with witty chants like this to make a point in the first place.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Agreed. Should only be used when going ahead AFTER we've been on the end of some #homobantz though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's interesting to see that over time some fans have come to embrace or take ownership of perjorative terms that have been used against them, i.e Yids, sheepshaggers, tractor boys.

Football is inherently tribal and it is inevitable that when two sets of fans interact they will look for a stereotype as a tool to engage the opposition. I'm not defending homophobia but if you aren't allowed to provoke a reaction for fear of upsetting people then an important ingredient of matchday atmosphere is lost. Ideally, something better and more PC will take its place but I don't see that happening.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It's interesting to see that over time some fans have come to embrace or take ownership of perjorative terms that have been used against them, i.e Yids, sheepshaggers, tractor boys.

Football is inherently tribal and it is inevitable that when two sets of fans interact they will look for a stereotype as a tool to engage the opposition. I'm not defending homophobia but if you aren't allowed to provoke a reaction for fear of upsetting people then an important ingredient of matchday atmosphere is lost. Ideally, something better and more PC will take its place but I don't see that happening.

True, and although I'm not condoning it, there is a difference between a crowd singing "going down on your boyfriend" in response to us singing "down with The Palace" and some of the unprovoked and horrible homophobic vitriol we get subjected to by individuals / small groups who clearly really mean it at games (Southampton last season for example, Burnley every time).

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Right. Tribal as in team vs team. Not fans vs a group of unrelated people of one sexuality whose sexuality has nothing to do with the game at hand.

You wouldn't walk past someone and sing such things in the street because, guess what, it's a crime in the same way abusing someone of a disability is or calling someone a ****** is. So what is it about football that makes you think it's okay in a footballing context to sing such things, even though such chants are criminal behaviour in every day life?

Cor you sound like a right laugh, would to have a beer with you. Are ya gonna brave it tomorrow or do some flower arranging? I can't wait for a tense and edgy atmosphere tomorrow night and couldn't care less if Palace indulge in some 'homohpobic chanting.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Cor you sound like a right laugh, would to have a beer with you. Are ya gonna brave it tomorrow or do some flower arranging? I can't wait for a tense and edgy atmosphere tomorrow night and couldn't care less if Palace indulge in some 'homohpobic chanting.

You seem a little obsessed with flower arranging. Just saying.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So, what is allowed and what should be banned?
Norwich away 2016 comes to mind. Prior to this game the traveling fans had taken a lot of abuse from the Wolves fans, if anything too much from too many. But it could have been banter because we gave back the usual too ugly chant. Personally, having put up with minor chants at most games, Wolves was OTT. But at Norwich almost half of the Brighton fans picked on a woman in the home end (cant remember why, she probably said something) but chants of 'who's the slapper in the red' were very insulting. Was that justified or just banter?
I'll put up with it as long as it is sung against us in nothing more than a fan v fan banter way.
As for monkey chants, I'd be the first to report anyone near me who does it. That is personal against a player and any fan who does it should be jailed.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Welcome to the 70s. I'm sure it was a funnier time back then.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So, what is allowed and what should be banned?
Norwich away 2016 comes to mind. Prior to this game the traveling fans had taken a lot of abuse from the Wolves fans, if anything too much from too many. But it could have been banter because we gave back the usual too ugly chant. Personally, having put up with minor chants at most games, Wolves was OTT. But at Norwich almost half of the Brighton fans picked on a woman in the home end (cant remember why, she probably said something) but chants of 'who's the slapper in the red' were very insulting. Was that justified or just banter?
I'll put up with it as long as it is sung against us in nothing more than a fan v fan banter way.
As for monkey chants, I'd be the first to report anyone near me who does it. That is personal against a player and any fan who does it should be jailed.

Anything deemed illegal in the real world should be not allowed. It's that simple. It isn't banter, it's just discrimination. So that includes homophobia, racism, discrimination against those with disabilities etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here