Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC ONE Is Devoting Nearly THREE Hours To FA Cup Final Score?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Last week in this slot was a repeat showing (perhaps the 4th or 5th showing) of Shrek 2. I imagine some felt the same about that. (and some loved it as a Sunday afternoon choice).

Yup, I'm sure you're right, there must be millions of families gathered round the telly enjoying snippets of Tranmere v Southport

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed, tho highly reminiscent of the one time they tried to do Grandstand on the cheap with about three hours of snowboarding and mountain biking. Don't think they ever repeated that particular poundshop experiment :lol:

Grandstand was always done on the cheap. Motor bikes in the mud, horse racing, dreary amateur rugby, another horse race, then fat northerners in lycra 'wrestling' :facepalm:

edit: when I said 'lycra' I meant 'underpants' :bounce:

mick.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yup, I'm sure you're right, there must be millions of families gathered round the telly enjoying snippets of Tranmere v Southport

You are, clearly :rolleyes::lolol::thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That's all good (and I totally agree, I worked for the BBC for a number of years and normally have nothing but total respect for their output). But to foist 3 hours of pub bootball on the prime channel of a weekend afternoon? That's just taking the piss. It's like the Red Button had never been invented :shrug:

Sunday afternoons on BBC1 usual fare is Escape to the Country, Songs of Praise and Countryfile. Which one of those are you missing?
Normally it's the women who complain about too much football. I'm surprised at you tbh.

The terrestrial channels have been done out of most live football games now, by Sky and BT, so it's good to have some live stuff. The FA cup is the last thing the BBC are allowed to have.

3rd round draw tomorrow evening. Brighton are no. 8.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
All joking aside, how are you/anyone expected to pay over £200 a week in rent? It's a scandle and needs sorting, disgusting profiteering, partly by the buy to let brigade who suffered from low interest rates on their capital and are now ripping off their fellow citizens by charging exorbitant rents to justify supply and demand housing shortages. Despicable behaviour.

I agree, successive governments have never come up with a way of helping people in work poverty like me, im stuck in a vacuum as i can't afford to move anywhere cheaper even if i could find it, 61.84 % of my earnings go on rent.

single person 1 bed flat net income £1,415 pm

Rent, £875 pm 61.84% or £28.7671232877 per day
Council tax, £85 pm 6.0% or £2.79452054795 per day
Gas & Elec £45 pm 3.18% or £1.47945205479 per day
Water £22 pm 1.55% or £0.72328767123 per day
Broadband £18.99 pm 1.34% or £0.62432876712 per day
TV licence £12.50 pm 0.88% or £0.41095890411 per day
Mobile £27.00 pm 1.90% or £0.88767123287 per day

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So what's the BBC's aim this Sunday afternoon? To drive the majority of licence payers on to BBC2? Oh hang on, that's showing dreary snooker. BBC3 maybe? Nope, that's internet only. BBC4 then? Nope, only starts at 7pm. So essentially it's a choice between meaningless football and meaningless snooker. Sake!

I hardly ever get to watch TV, but enjoyed at least an hour of both this afternoon. Then I turned on IPlayer, as Jason Mohammed sagely advised me to do and watched the World Cup round up. Lovely.

If you aren't into snooker or the 2nd round of the FA Cup there are plenty of other channels and indeed plenty of other entertainment options. Why not take up a hobby? Moaning in chat-rooms?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Why? We bang on about trying to make the FA Cup interesting again, and the Beeb are trying to do that. Why shouldn't we give exposure to the cup and the teams that are still in the hat? It's in the public interest. It's a public service broadcaster. It's precisely why I pay my 41p a day.

Let me just repeat that. 41p a day.

For less than the price of the Daily Fail, I get...

BBC 1, 2, 3, 4. BBC 3 online
Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and the Extra channels
iPlayer
the website
Access to original UK drama like Informer, Killing Eve, Sherlock etc etc

All for 41p a day.

And to think that there are far too many people that want to see the BBC Trust eradicated so that we can pay private broadcaster through the nose for services which should be a lot cheaper, and we can hand over control of all our media to rich money men with an agenda to pursue.

The Beeb ain't perfect, but it is a damn sight better than the alternative - a feral media landscape where you and I get fleeced.

41p a day.

Politically speaking, I think the BBC sadly has its own agenda too - sadly. I think it's the principle that in this day and age it seems ludicrous to have to pay for a licence to watch TV. It's archaic, and I say that as someone who holds British institutions in high regard usually.

Are you in favour of the monarchy? If not, then the '41p per day' argument could apply there as well. It's a question of perspective.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Grandstand was always done on the cheap. Motor bikes in the mud, horse racing, dreary amateur rugby, another horse race, then fat northerners in lycra 'wrestling' :facepalm:

edit: when I said 'lycra' I meant 'underpants' :bounce:

View attachment 102525

You retract that Harry and you retract that now.
Grandstand never showed wrestling - that was World of sports contribution between 4.00 and 4.40.

No, the BBC showed show jumping and badminton and all the other biggies thank you very much.

I loved the teleprinter........... let’s get it back.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Grandstand never showed wrestling - that was World of sports contribution between 4.00 and 4.40.

No, the BBC showed show jumping and badminton and all the other biggies thank you very much.

Gosh. You're right. Rather than get my shovel to dig myself into an ever deepening and shameful hole, I shall salute your indefatigability. :shootself:bowdown::lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

And Moto Cross.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And Moto Cross.

It was won every week by a fellow called Arthur Lampkin (sp)

Years later I saw it on Eurosport or Sky or some channel and his son was winning everything as well.

I remember seeing The Duke of Edingburgh regurly winning carriage racing. What an event that was.
Erica Roe, Cambridge sinking in the boat race................bring it back................fecking Bargain Hunt with Angie Dickinson now.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All joking aside, how are you/anyone expected to pay over £200 a week in rent? It's a scandle and needs sorting, disgusting profiteering, partly by the buy to let brigade who suffered from low interest rates on their capital and are now ripping off their fellow citizens by charging exorbitant rents to justify supply and demand housing shortages. Despicable behaviour.

It’s not really for this thread but give up blaming buy to let landlords. They are providing a service and mostly far from profiteering.

My tenant is perfectly happy with his rent and even did a great bit of Tim nice but dim negotiating last time we did a rent review by offering more than I wanted!

Remove the rental market and many more would be unable to find any accommodation at all. I’m sure you’d enjoy the workhouse.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Blimey. People on a football forum complaining about the national broadcaster showing football. Weird :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Blimey. People on a football forum complaining about the national broadcaster showing football. Weird :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed. I think it’s great that they’re showing loads of F.A. cup action again. A few years ago, it would have been the only air time we got and we’d have been lapping it up. I’ve even watched the Football Focusses on the cup weekends and it’s been great hearing about the lower league and non league clubs still involved and their hopes and dreams.

Perhaps it’s just that I love football.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
.....It's the same level of patronisation they afford the women's game where they pretend not to acknowledge that it's all about filling the screen with cheap telly.:

..........But to foist 3 hours of pub bootball on the prime channel of a weekend afternoon? That's just taking the piss. :

Don't forget that 'pub football' was us not many years ago. I really enjoyed the first round coverage.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't forget that 'pub football' was us not many years ago. I really enjoyed the first round coverage.

I watched the Solihull Moors match against Blackpool. I loved the interview with Dan Walker & the owner of Solihull, when asked what getting into the 2nd round meant to them, the owner replied, I can tarmac the car park now.
It's not so long ago we were in a similar situation. Just ten short years.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
surely this is the most obvious woosh ever? We need a :woosh: smiley

(bbc license money??) Who wants the fa cup and monkey programs anyway? RIP OFF

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's bollocks tho isn't it. BBC could quite as easily have put today's 3 hour extravaganza on the Red Button where somebody, somewhere might care. It's the same level of patronisation they afford the women's game where they pretend not to acknowledge that it's all about filling the screen with cheap telly.

Ignoring the subjective aspect of this (surely a bit of FA Cup football is a good thing?) are you really trying to suggest that that sending outside broadcast teams to eight simultaneous football grounds (all of which would have no permanent broadcast infrastructure) is the CHEAP option? :mad: :dunce:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here