Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC almost unusable on mobile currently

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There's no ramp up of ads at all, In fact, as of two weeks or so ago, most users have fewer ads on NSC than ever before, with only a single banner on many pages where there used to be three.

It also hasn't "Been like this for a good while now" - these are the first instances since we moved to a new ad partner, and they are looking at it right now. They themselves have recently joined a service that has a high success rate of stopping these malicious ads that creep into ad networks and can affect all sites. They will put NSC onto that service and monitor the results.

So 0/2 - could do better.

Ads on mobile when not logged in are certainly more intrusive than they were before. There's a banner ad embedded on the right that scrolls with the page, and also a banner ad placed on top of the page (rather than embedded) at the bottom of the screen, which also scrolls with the page.

That's in addition to the 'read more' issue I mentioned before, where every single page I load requires me to click 'read more' to read it. Unless you log in on mobile, the site is pretty much unusable (even without the competition winner ads, which I'm not getting anymore). Sure I can just log in, but I have my reasons for not being logged in all the time, and also you have many readers who do not have accounts!

Also, last week-ish my desktop ad block was blocking something like what it determined as 18 bits of ad code on NSC pages IIRC, an increase of what it was before (something like 11). That seems to have reduced to 10 now.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If on Android download Samsung Internet and install an adblocker. Problems solved. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ads on mobile when not logged in are certainly more intrusive than they were before. There's a banner ad embedded on the right that scrolls with the page, and also a banner ad placed on top of the page (rather than embedded) at the bottom of the screen, which also scrolls with the page.

That's in addition to the 'read more' issue I mentioned before, where every single page I load requires me to click 'read more' to read it. Unless you log in on mobile, the site is pretty much unusable (even without the competition winner ads, which I'm not getting anymore). Sure I can just log in, but I have my reasons for not being logged in all the time, and also you have many readers who do not have accounts!

Also, last week-ish my desktop ad block was blocking something like what it determined as 18 bits of ad code on NSC pages IIRC, an increase of what it was before (something like 11). That seems to have reduced to 10 now.

I've never shied away from having more ads for guests than logged in users. People have the choice to register/login or not.

The number of ads for guests has also reduced significantly recently as a result of the change we've made.

Anyway, back on topic, I've just implemented a change provided by the ad partner that should stop the malicious ads. From my own testing on Safari/iPhone it seems to have done the trick but just because it's OK for me doesn't mean it will be for everyone. Let me know if they occur again.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just had the same pop up that’s been on here for the last couple of days, on iPhone safari [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes, and me. A competition/scam pops up, and the only way to get rid of it is to close Safari down and try again.

Must admit everything works fine now on my iPad

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's no ramp up of ads at all, In fact, as of two weeks or so ago, most users have fewer ads on NSC than ever before, with only a single banner on many pages where there used to be three.

It also hasn't "Been like this for a good while now" - these are the first instances since we moved to a new ad partner, and they are looking at it right now. They themselves have recently joined a service that has a high success rate of stopping these malicious ads that creep into ad networks and can affect all sites. They will put NSC onto that service and monitor the results.

So 0/2 - could do better.

Lovely on my laptop and as the Dear Leader says, fewer ads than previously. :bowdown:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I've never shied away from having more ads for guests than logged in users. People have the choice to register/login or not.

The number of ads for guests has also reduced significantly recently as a result of the change we've made.

Anyway, back on topic, I've just implemented a change provided by the ad partner that should stop the malicious ads. From my own testing on Safari/iPhone it seems to have done the trick but just because it's OK for me doesn't mean it will be for everyone. Let me know if they occur again.

Of course, but you also previously indicated that the guest experience shouldn't be so unpleasant that it puts people off returning, as that's not in anyone's interest. My feedback was to make you aware that the mobile experience when not logged in is currently not very good. It certainly makes me visit the site less!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here