Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mounie red card..(Hudds lodge - and lose - appeal)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm feeling tired and am wondering if I'm missing something here. Fouls are given for challenges that are careless, reckless or use excessive force. Straight reds are given for use of excessive force, but shouldn't be given for careless or reckless challenges.

Careless - no card.
Wreckless - player cautioned.
Excessive force - sent off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just viewed the incident. It’s careless, wreckless and that’s a far amount of force on Bissouma’s shin. Clearly a straight red.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The difference is that Balogun was going for the ball and mistimed it. Their guy didn't even make an attempt to get the ball. Both right decisions for me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Careless - no card.
Wreckless - player cautioned.
Excessive force - sent off.

Yes, but in the post of yours I quoted you said straight reds are given for careless, reckless and excessive force. They are three different things, only one of which gets red.

"Careless”
means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making his challenge or that he acted without precaution

“Reckless”
means that the player has acted with complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent

“Using excessive force”
means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, but in the post of yours I quoted you said straight reds are given for careless, reckless and excessive force. They are three different things, only one of which gets red.

"Careless”
means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making his challenge or that he acted without precaution

“Reckless”
means that the player has acted with complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent

“Using excessive force”
means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent

If I wasn’t clear, here is the law
https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Look again. He didn't go for the ball: just threw his foot at Bissouma.
I've only seen it from one angle (from behind Mounie), and I couldn't tell whether he was going for the ball or player - from just that one angle, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Is there a different angle that shows he wasn't trying to play the ball?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Yes, that's where I got my definitions from. This is really confusing me.

You: You get a straight red for careless, reckless and excessive force
me: actually, you only get straight red for excessive force
You: you get a free kick for careless challenge, yellow for reckless, red for excessive force
me: yes, that's what I said, but you originally said you get a red for all three, but the three are different things, here's how the law defines careless, reckless and excessive force
You: here's the law...

:shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've only seen it from one angle (from behind Mounie), and I couldn't tell whether he was going for the ball or player - from just that one angle, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Is there a different angle that shows he wasn't trying to play the ball?

The replay in this video IMO shows that it was a red card foul.

https://highlightsfootball.com/video/huddersfield-town-vs-brighton-hove-albion-highlights-2/#close

No where near the ball and the reckless challenge leaves impact/studs on shin/knee.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think it was naughty. Just my instinctive gut reaction that you’d know you were leaving one on your opponent in that situation.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If the studs land on an oppentents shin above the shinpad then it must be a red card. The days of Copper Harris and Norman bites yer legs Hunter have long gone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, that's where I got my definitions from. This is really confusing me.

You: You get a straight red for careless, reckless and excessive force
me: actually, you only get straight red for excessive force
You: you get a free kick for careless challenge, yellow for reckless, red for excessive force
me: yes, that's what I said, but you originally said you get a red for all three, but the three are different things, here's how the law defines careless, reckless and excessive force
You: here's the law...

:shrug:

If you read the law about excessive force, you will see it implies the other two. The excessive force explanation states “in danger of injuring the opponent.” The wreckless explanation states “disregard to the danger to the opponent”. If you’re in danger of injuring someone you have shown disregard to the danger of the opponent. And disregard implies lack of attention and consideration which is the definition of careless. I think this is clear and they are not mutually different things which I think you're suggesting. That’s how I see it :smile:

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
It's a good job Chopper Harris and Norman, bite yer legs, Hunter played when they did. They wouldn't get much time on the pitch nowadays!

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
haven't seen a replay yet, but at the game in real time looked a bit harsh for red. not complaining though. my post last week was about us needing a bit more luck from ref decisions.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If the studs land on an oppentents shin above the shinpad then it must be a red card. The days of Copper Harris and Norman bites yer legs Hunter have long gone.

48e68cd5-5732-4502-ba6f-9183bdbb858e_screenshot.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here