Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mounie red card..(Hudds lodge - and lose - appeal)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Moving away from our game will be interesting to see how VAR will work next season and also wonder what guidelines the referees are given. Have just seen the the tackle by Vertonghen for which he got second yellow today and therefore went off. On closer examination are we going to get into the realms of ' phases of the tackle' ? Absolutely no problem with the spurs' player's initial tackle and the subsequent follow through for which he is penalised had no malice or intent and was as much to with the where the arsenal player put his leg. Also think this tackle phase could easily be applied to Dale Stephen's sending off t

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
They were both soft. But as long as referees are consistent then it is fine.

But they’re not. Last weekend there were three worse tackles than either Stephens’ or Mounie’s which all got yellows. The one by the achelsea lad was a horror tackle and the ref had a great view, but didn’t pull out a red.
And early season we had Arter (yellow) and Kenedy (no action) just kicking opponents - no consistency at all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Moving away from our game will be interesting to see how VAR will work next season and also wonder what guidelines the referees are given. Have just seen the the tackle by Vertonghen for which he got second yellow today and therefore went off. On closer examination are we going to get into the realms of ' phases of the tackle' ? Absolutely no problem with the spurs' player's initial tackle and the subsequent follow through for which he is penalised had no malice or intent and was as much to with the where the arsenal player put his leg. Also think this tackle phase could easily be applied to Dale Stephen's sending off t

I thought the same about Vertongen's. Was pretty harsh - there was no 'intent' (yes, I know), there was no excessive force, and his foot never left the ground more than few inches. Worth remembering that he did only get a yellow for it, though - the daft handball earlier coming back to bite him.

You can't equate Stephens' red to that one though. Stephens really was out of control, and much as I believe it was an honest (and successful) attempt to win the ball - it is impossible to deny that he 'endangered the opponent'.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought the same about Vertongen's. Was pretty harsh - there was no 'intent' (yes, I know), there was no excessive force, and his foot never left the ground more than few inches. Worth remembering that he did only get a yellow for it, though - the daft handball earlier coming back to bite him.

You can't equate Stephens' red to that one though. Stephens really was out of control, and much as I believe it was an honest (and successful) attempt to win the ball - it is impossible to deny that he 'endangered the opponent'.

This is as good a summary of the Stephens' red as we've had.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is as good a summary of the Stephens' red as we've had.

Not that I didn't shout at the ref when he brandished it, obviously...

Four points from the first two games of Dale's ban, have taken the edge off it a little.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There must have been at least a couple of yellow cards handed out in this montage:-

[tweet]1069369365462745089[/tweet]

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
taken a rough guess from all the pundits and especially refs who have given an opinion on the game it must be 75% think was a red and that includes two ex-refs so I dont see the FA changing it

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Might not be 'excessive force' but still dangerous play. We would have laughed at even a booking back in the 80's but in this modern non contact sport that football has become Uddersfield have no chance. Should increase it by 1 game for frivolous appeal. Sory, that's just how it is.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Apparently, 14 games into the season, and between them Huddersfield's recognized strikers have more red cards than goals :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apparently, 14 games into the season, and between them Huddersfield's recognized strikers have more red cards than goals :thumbsup:

I said it on another thread but that bloke they brought on looked nothing like a footballer, let alone a Premier League striker. They must be shitting it, if that's what they're left with.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I said it on another thread but that bloke they brought on looked nothing like a footballer, let alone a Premier League striker. They must be shitting it, if that's what they're left with.

I didn't see it. Did he look like a second rate RnB artist?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here