Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Down on your boyfriend’

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The term northern monkey is derived from Monkey Hangers, which relates to the apocryphal tale of the Hartlepool French spy incedent. Most, if not all, northerners I know don't see this as an insult, just banter.

Homophobic abuse, on the other hand, is unacceptable; and if you as a moderator of these forums don't see the difference, then shame on you.

Was Jonh Barnes being precious, when he was pissed off at having bananas thrown at him?

A mod, if so that’s astonishing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was specifically a day against Homophobia in sport. The fact the chants were heard and you don't see a problem is the EXACT reason the day is needed. Would you be as glib about monkey chants on Kick It Out day?

And you think that has any influence on thickos who shout out insults to players and fans?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It was specifically a day against Homophobia in sport. The fact the chants were heard and you don't see a problem is the EXACT reason the day is needed. Would you be as glib about monkey chants on Kick It Out day?

I think we're all getting a bit swept away by the tide in our PC boats here...

First up the OP threw some name calling at the offenders as he/she was offended.... because they were name calling. ???

Secondly, this is 25,000+ people calling 3,000 - 4,000 (I guess) names. It is a crowd jeering a crowd..... It is not directed at one person. Nobody singled out one fan because he looked gay!

There's a time to be precious, such as when a crowd turns on one player because he's black, gay, whatever - then there's a time to realise that ever since the dawn of time tribes have hurled insults at each other. Football is 'tribal' in it's nature from a supporters point of view. I doubt it will ever change, and I hope it doesn't if I'm honest. You can't tell me that even if you're the most mild mannered person you won't look at the Palace end and shout, make a wanker sign, or just a wry smile if we scored the winner in the last kick of the game.

Let them sing what they want. It was meant to annoy you, and it did. They won.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

First up the OP threw some name calling at the offenders as he/she was offended.... because they were name calling. ???

Secondly, this is 25,000+ people calling 3,000 - 4,000 (I guess) names. It is a crowd jeering a crowd..... It is not directed at one person. Nobody singled out one fan because he looked gay!

There's a time to be precious, such as when a crowd turns on one player because he's black, gay, whatever - then there's a time to realise that ever since the dawn of time tribes have hurled insults at each other. Football is 'tribal' in it's nature from a supporters point of view. I doubt it will ever change, and I hope it doesn't if I'm honest. You can't tell me that even if you're the most mild mannered person you won't look at the Palace end and shout, make a wanker sign, or just a wry smile if we scored the winner in the last kick of the game.

Monkey noises directed at Bissouma yesterday apparently (according to a couple of posts on DATM).

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Monkey noises directed at Bissouma yesterday apparently (according to a couple of posts on DATM).

I can't believe that. Genuinely. They have black players in their own team, so why would they make "monkey noises" ??

I haven't heard a single thing like that for years, and I doubt that in 2018 it would go unreported anyway.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It’s ok mate, he has some personal thing against me and many others on here. Let’s just go with option B, and agree I’m thick :thumbsup:

As he gave up going to games to support his club, he’s probably unaware of the huge shift in the last 10 years and that all the homophobic shit we used to get is now widely accepted as unacceptable, and times have fortunately changed.

Somewhat ironic that you're blathering on about me not going to games whilst complaining about some words you overheard on a stream of the gane, isn't it? #superfan

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The term northern monkey is derived from Monkey Hangers, which relates to the apocryphal tale of the Hartlepool French spy incedent. Most, if not all, northerners I know don't see this as an insult, just banter.

Homophobic abuse, on the other hand, is unacceptable; and if you as a moderator of these forums don't see the difference, then shame on you.

Was Jonh Barnes being precious, when he was pissed off at having bananas thrown at him?

A mod, if so that’s astonishing.

Husty a mod hahahahaha. (check the spelling)

There are some users who have been mods, some who are mods and some who may well be mods in the future. Then there are attention seeking trolls who would be kept away from mod towers by any means necessary should they attempt an approach, which they won't. Guess which category Husty falls in to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

So I can put you down to lead an Orangeman parade through town on St Pats day and organise the annual gathering of the Harvey Weinstien Appreciation Society on International Women's Day then? Only bantz after all.

EDIT - the use of "you" is also strange. Surely you mean "us"???

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I can't believe that. Genuinely. They have black players in their own team, so why would they make "monkey noises" ??

I haven't heard a single thing like that for years, and I doubt that in 2018 it would go unreported anyway.

This is their own fans complaining about their fellow fans - consequently unlikely to be made up.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s quite interesting actually the teams that seem to chant this, Leeds fans used to do it a lot, Sheffield Wednesday also, I remember years ago Bradford fans doing the same. Something about that area of England.

I’m not offended to be honest I just think it’s childish and ignorant, imagine being a grown man and actually standing there chanting that, it’s staggeringly stupid.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
So I can put you down to lead an Orangeman parade through town on St Pats day and organise the annual gathering of the Harvey Weinstien Appreciation Society on International Women's Day then? Only bantz after all.

EDIT - the use of "you" is also strange. Surely you mean "us"???

If they want a parade, let them have a parade - I don't care. If the Harvey Weinstein Appreciation Society want to have a gathering on any day they want, I don't care either. Doesn't mean I agree with it, though.

My use of "you" was referring to the OP. "Us" would be wrong because I don't care what a bunch of oafs sing, so I'm not included.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Totally agree....!! I`ve been to many games where our crowd picks on individuals...Imagine tuesday, Zaha may get a bit .
Is anyone, Gay or straight really bothered with "Does your boyfriend know your`e here", Or "we can see you holding hands"?.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do feel that the calling the Huddersfield lot northern monkeys is a bit of an insult! I personally happen to think monkeys are very intelligent things and if I were a monkey I would be mortified to be associated with a Huddersfield Neanderthal! 🤣
Now you're offending the memory of Neanderthals.

D

Deleted member 2719

Still, don't why we get our knickers in such a twist over this stuff.

If you let it bother you, you will just get more of it.

Let it ride and embrace it.

Now if they had aimed the odd C*N* in there that would be different.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is anyone, Gay or straight really bothered with "Does your boyfriend know your`e here", Or "we can see you holding hands"?.
Yes, I am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here