Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percentage of time in opposition half - lowest in the league

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
To think we could make the same mistake three years running is unthinkable, for that reason I expect us to be super competitive but they will have too much for us as we are so drilled in defensive football and having wingers as back up fullbacks that it limits what little we have to offer up front. Even if we take the lead I won’t expect us to be able to hold it.

I will settle for a spirited and competitive display even if we lose. If we just sit back and give them the ball back to come again I will seriously question just how far CH can take us. Three capitulations at the same place is one too far for me.

The players and the manager have to show real steel and aggression today.

100% this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the grimmest of all grim tables.

The poll “When you watch Albion play” would suggest that it is very much the minority of us that are not happy with the performances this season. Over 90% on the current vote are accepting of how we play, given the league we are in. This is a massive vote of confidence from most NSCers.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if CJ had 1000's of accounts so he can 'fake news' the shite out of every poll that might show the club in a less than positive light.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's the grimmest of all grim tables.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if CJ had 1000's of accounts so he can 'fake news' the shite out of every poll that might show the club in a less than positive light.

CJ is great and always puts forward backed up considered opinions.. We need a Ying to us negative Yangs, we all want the same for the Albion :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
CJ is great and always puts forward backed up considered opinions.. We need a Ying to us negative Yangs, we all want the same for the Albion :thumbsup:

You're no fun this morning. :lol:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Gotta be honest, there's only one table I'm interested in...

Can't disagree with that but it's the one at the end of May that matters, not now.

The current average will see us fine but if we continue with the current performances I suspect our results will suffer badly (that's the nicest way I could put it!)

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Whilst possession and territory means little..If you accept you can only score when in oppos half .Man City have chance of scoring 76% of the time and us 28%.

A chart giving number of times passed back to the Goalkeeper per Game would surely see us near if not at the top ! I do think this is something we are good at ! .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Here's the current table of the percentage of time spent in the opposition half. It does not make for pretty reading:

View attachment 102475

It's no wonder that so many of us are unhappy about performances this season. There's no knocking that the current strategy is working in terms of points gained, but it's no fun watching games where so much of the game is in our half of the field.

It's not pretty, but it's a feature of something that few have picked up on, which is how many games we've scored first and, more often than not, early. We then set up to protect what we have. And we're extremely good defensively. And we're in the bottom five in terms of squad expenditure.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Can't disagree with that but it's the one at the end of May that matters, not now.

The current average will see us fine but if we continue with the current performances I suspect our results will suffer badly (that's the nicest way I could put it!)

But there's the rub. Given the choice, what do you want: performances that are better than the results; or results that are better than the performances? Fulham, Palace and Southampton have the former.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Here's the current table of the percentage of time spent in the opposition half. It does not make for pretty reading:

View attachment 102475

It's no wonder that so many of us are unhappy about performances this season. There's no knocking that the current strategy is working in terms of points gained, but it's no fun watching games where so much of the game is in our half of the field.

I do like the abbreviation for Palace though - hopefully on Tuesday that's just what they'll be doing!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

8r32.gif

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But our current form is very worrying - yes we're still above the likes of fulham and Huddersfield, but not for much longer if our performances continue in the same way. Huddersfield were fantastic last weekend, the last (only?) time we've played anything like that this season was against United

A long way to go though...

You reckon? ???

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 09.52.06.png

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The last time we complained about being mid table in the top league of football it got Mike Bailey the sack - we all know what happened after that. Be careful what you wish for.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

View attachment 102475

Please go away

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The poll “When you watch Albion play” would suggest that it is very much the minority of us that are not happy with the performances this season.

That, IMHO, is a very suspect interpretation of the statistic. Yes, for most of us the most important thing is for Brighton to win ...... BUT - that doesn't follow that everybody likes the way we're playing. It's not very pretty, that's true, but far more important to many people is the worry that we can't get away with effectively playing defence versus attack for ever.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd argue that those represent recent rather than current form.

The concern is how "Last 6 matches" will look in a little over seven days from now.

Well how current is current? One game? If so, it was a draw, so if the rest of the games are draws, then we'll be ok :lol:

On a slightly more serious note, it's one point from nine, but how likely is it that to continue for the rest of the season? Unlikely I would say. The three games before that were a 9/9 point haul. Honestly, I can see the next two games being four or six points.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don’t really care how much time we spend in what parts of the field. The goals stat is the only one that maters.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
But there's the rub. Given the choice, what do you want: performances that are better than the results; or results that are better than the performances? Fulham, Palace and Southampton have the former.

I can't answer for those others but generally the two go hand in hand ... a good performance will lead to a good result (generally). What we did in those 3 1-0's (and they're the games that have put us where we are) is deliver pretty poor performances and got a good result (I don't agree with the view that they were tactically good)

That isn't sustainable as far as I'm concerned, if we don't up our performance level then results are going to suffer. Yes we are 12th, but we're going to need to play a whole lot better if we want to maintain that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here