Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion predicted to get four points from next SEVEN matches

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think so, yes. The Cardiff game was a case in point. When I came on this site after the game I rather naively supposed the posts would be dominated by whether the Stephens red card was justified, how well our defence had done against ten men for most of the game, and cursing the rest for not disallowing their late winner. You know, basically discussing a football match like a football match, like we used to do. But instead it was all - we're shit, Hughton's tactics are shit, we're in danger of going down, we should be beating Cardiff if we want to stay up. It all seemed completely couched in how the failure to beat a team below us would impact upon our final position.

Take also Fulham at home, where a topsy-turvy game saw us come back from a 2-goal deficit, something we hardly ever do, generally considered to be an exciting thing, and in which the result was considered on here almost primarily in how the failure to beat a newly-promoted team would impact on our final position.

and Leicester, where a very tense game on a knife-edge throughout that ended in a deserved draw was totally seen through the prism of not beating a team with 10-men and the impact that would have on our final position, accompanied by a lot of 'we're shit, Hughton's tactics are shit, we're in danger of going down - and the much louder now - its boring football' .

Then there is the opposite, where we beat teams around us in the league - such as Wolves - and the fact we won excuses some fairly dour tactics.

Games at this level are like chess, they can be very intricate and I rather wish there was a bit more discussion of the games themselves rather than just 'CH needs to be more attacking if we're going to stay up' or ''a well-needed three points'

Well said. I agree with every word.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Currently as many points away from a Euro place as from the relegation zone. Sorry. Thought Huddersfield had 9 points. Anyway, solidly mid-table and could go above man Utd with a win on Tuesday!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think so, yes. The Cardiff game was a case in point. When I came on this site after the game I rather naively supposed the posts would be dominated by whether the Stephens red card was justified, how well our defence had done against ten men for most of the game, and cursing the rest for not disallowing their late winner. You know, basically discussing a football match like a football match, like we used to do. But instead it was all - we're shit, Hughton's tactics are shit, we're in danger of going down, we should be beating Cardiff if we want to stay up. It all seemed completely couched in how the failure to beat a team below us would impact upon our final position.

Take also Fulham at home, where a topsy-turvy game saw us come back from a 2-goal deficit, something we hardly ever do, generally considered to be an exciting thing, and in which the result was considered on here almost primarily in how the failure to beat a newly-promoted team would impact on our final position.

and Leicester, where a very tense game on a knife-edge throughout that ended in a deserved draw was totally seen through the prism of not beating a team with 10-men and the impact that would have on our final position, accompanied by a lot of 'we're shit, Hughton's tactics are shit, we're in danger of going down - and the much louder now - its boring football' .

Then there is the opposite, where we beat teams around us in the league - such as Wolves - and the fact we won excuses some fairly dour tactics.

Games at this level are like chess, they can be very intricate and I rather wish there was a bit more discussion of the games themselves rather than just 'CH needs to be more attacking if we're going to stay up' or ''a well-needed three points'

Totally wrong. The PERFORMANCES justify the criticisms the team have been getting. You need to become less naive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Totally wrong. The PERFORMANCES justify the criticisms the team have been getting. You need to become less naive.

We're 11th based on points and goal difference. It's not synchronised swimming or gymnastics.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The plain facts are teams have worked us out very quickly as will be evident today, when Wagner will send his team out to attack and cut off our supply to Murray, game over as we sit back and try and soak up the pressure, because we rely on a select few players to keep us in games, Dunk, Duffy, Ryan, and one to win a game Murray.....

#nolongerundertheradarbutweareagreatbigfatblipontheradar.

Hmmm

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We're 11th based on points and goal difference. It's not synchronised swimming or gymnastics.

I don’t think that’s what I said!!??

Performances need to improve...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Isn't that essentially what happened? Except it didn't follow the narrative you were expecting. The red card and reffing error where the symptoms not the main problem in the Cardiff game. We should never have been in the position for either to have happened. That we got into that position was the bigger problem. Why did we voluntarily surrender all initiative against a clearly weaker team who couldn't put two passes together and were there for the taking. It gave Cardiff all the encouragement they needed to get on the front foot and get their tails up. Result we lose control of the game, become second best can't keep the ball and a man gets (contentiously) sent off. The 93rd minute offside winner was a sickener but it was our fault we were in a position where an error could cost us. Only focusing on that is papering over the cracks.

Likewise against Leicester. We were in an even stronger position against Leicester and a combination of poor tactics and execution cost us. The fact you say it was on a knife edge throughout and a deserved draw surely tells you something went wrong? How can a game where you go in at half time a man and a goal up after a half where you've been comfortably on top end in a deserved draw?! It happened because we again played poorly, sat back and surrendered the initiative, inviting the ten men onto us and giving them plenty of encouragement to keep going. Vardy when he came on caused us all kinds of problems. But he was coming back from an injury. Leicester were on the ropes, if we'd gone for the jugular and scored a second goal do you think Vardy would have come on? And if he did what effect would he have had on a two goal deficit? So I'd say calling it a knife edge game is a surface level at best analysis. We should be looking at why it became a knife edge game.

I agree with you concerning the Fulham game, It felt like both a point gained and two lost but it was a positive point gained and the two lost were more a case of how on earth did we ever find ourselves two down when we were so on top rather than their being any real tactical or playing deficiencies.

The Wolves game and the Newcastle game as well were games where we got the win but the same issues that came up in the Cardiff and Leicester games were evident. It's just that in those games Ryan, Duffy and Dunk were magnificent. You could probably argue the same for Saturday's win too.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So this was pleasingly way off.

This was the end-of-year prediction...

Man City 53
Liverpool 50
Spurs 47
Chelsea 45
Arsenal 41
Man Utd 37
Everton 31