Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wilder vs Fury

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
He is, regardless of what Eddie Hearn might think, now the third best heavyweight in the world.

If I was Wilder i would be very keen to make that Joshua fight in April. Then make the re-match with Fury for all the belts in Vegas at some point in the future.. which would become a monster PPV event. I don't think AJ/Hearn will be quite so keen.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I once got punched in the face while trying to stop a fight involving a complete knobber and a mate of mine. A full on swing that caught me on the chin and knocked me over. After a second, I sprang straight back up and dragged my mate away from the scene. There's a lot to be said for cocaine tbf.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think AJ would have a problem with Wilder. AJ is there to be hit, little head movement. Wilder has freakish power. I think he would have a problem Fury too based on his performance on Saturday.

This is why they don't want the Wilder fight too soon - Hearn needs to milk his cash cow for as long as possible without taking a risk. So far they've made millions out of fights AJ is more or less guaranteed to win.
All the time they can still sell out a stadium against a Boxer that half the crowd haven't heard of they're not going to risk losing the belts.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I once got punched in the face while trying to stop a fight involving a complete knobber and a mate of mine. A full on swing that caught me on the chin and knocked me over. After a second, I sprang straight back up and dragged my mate away from the scene. There's a lot to be said for cocaine tbf.

Rick James had a point - "Cocaine's one hell of a drug!"

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was never a fan of Fury but he's slowly won me over over the past six months. Beyond the bravado and trash talk he's shown enough humour, self awareness and humility to be a worthy champion and to achieve in the ring what he did after all that time out and all the issues that came with it is truly remarkable. And that twelfth round was incredible. How do you get knocked out and not only get up but then take the fight to the opponent to the extent that Wilder didn't fancy it and backed away for the rest of the round?! Absolutely amazing.

It's catapulted Fury right to the top with AJ. Wilder was shown up for the one trick pony he is. It has also really opened up the division. All three fights - Fury Wilder rematch, AJ Fury or Aj Wilder are now possible. The dream fight now is Joshua Fury at Wembley in April. That's a bigger fight than either of the other two options. I reckon that's very possible. I don't think Wilder will want to go back in with Fury. Yes he'll make good money but he'll be shown up even more in a rematch and if it's in the Uk(as surely it would be) he won't have the judges to hide behind. I think he'll fancy his chances more against Joshua as there'd be a greater chance of knocking him out. The obvious risk being that Joshua would have a greater chance of knocking out Wilder.

I reckon Wilder will finally fight his mandatory against Breazle while Fury and Joshua get it on and will continue to fight no marks until there is a decisive winner in the battle of Britain. He'll then cash out by fighting whoever is the champion.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was never a fan of Fury but he's slowly won me over over the past six months. Beyond the bravado and trash talk he's shown enough humour, self awareness and humility to be a worthy champion and to achieve in the ring what he did after all that time out and all the issues that came with it is truly remarkable. And that twelfth round was incredible. How do you get knocked out and not only get up but then take the fight to the opponent to the extent that Wilder didn't fancy it and backed away for the rest of the round?! Absolutely amazing.

It's catapulted Fury right to the top with AJ. Wilder was shown up for the one trick pony he is. It has also really opened up the division. All three fights - Fury Wilder rematch, AJ Fury or Aj Wilder are now possible. The dream fight now is Joshua Fury at Wembley in April. That's a bigger fight than either of the other two options. I reckon that's very possible. I don't think Wilder will want to go back in with Fury. Yes he'll make good money but he'll be shown up even more in a rematch and if it's in the Uk(as surely it would be) he won't have the judges to hide behind. I think he'll fancy his chances more against Joshua as there'd be a greater chance of knocking him out. The obvious risk being that Joshua would have a greater chance of knocking out Wilder.

I reckon Wilder will finally fight his mandatory against Breazle while Fury and Joshua get it on and will continue to fight no marks until there is a decisive winner in the battle of Britain. He'll then cash out by fighting whoever is the champion.

The Battle of Britain should happen in April, Eddie Hearn hasn't ruled it out on the Daily Mail website, what he won't tell us is the insulting split they will try and offer Fury, anything between 60/40 to 70/30.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Battle of Britain should happen in April, Eddie Hearn hasn't ruled it out on the Daily Mail website, what he won't tell us is the insulting split they will try and offer Fury, anything between 60/40 to 70/30.

I really hope so. Hearn and Warren need to get over themselves and get it done. There'll be too much demand for it not too happen.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Eddie Hearn will try and sell the winner of Whyte v Chisora as a legitimate challenger for Joshua in April, he won't want AJ anyway near Fury or even Wilder now. Once Joshua's 0 goes he is a nothing , and Hearn will keep feeding Joshua bums like Povetkin all the while the Toby's keep buying tickets , although they might desert him now.

BTW who remembers the abuse I got on here for saying that Tyson Fury would school that big dosser David 'The Plumber' Prince ???

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It was a masterful boxing display by Fury for 11 rounds. His corner and himself must have realised he was in front at that point despite the ridiculous score by one of the judges,so I'm surprised he didn't just move and stay out of trouble in the final round.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
This is why they don't want the Wilder fight too soon - Hearn needs to milk his cash cow for as long as possible without taking a risk. So far they've made millions out of fights AJ is more or less guaranteed to win.
All the time they can still sell out a stadium against a Boxer that half the crowd haven't heard of they're not going to risk losing the belts.

This argument that Joshua has been protected doesn't stand up to scrutiny when you look at his record however to be honest Hearn and Matchroom would be well within their rights to hold him back as he is still learning.

He only took up boxing in 2008 by which time Fury was already boxing as an amateur for England, Wilder had fought in the Olympics and just turned professional.

When you consider that Wilder has now had 40 fights, only faced top level opposition in his last 2 fights and fought journeymen up until fight 35, what Joshua has achieved in only 22 fights is actually quite incredible.

Joshua is getting better with every fight and so far overcome every challenge that has been put in front of him, people should be getting behind him rather than taking every opportunity to criticise.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
It was a masterful boxing display by Fury for 11 rounds. His corner and himself must have realised he was in front at that point despite the ridiculous score by one of the judges,so I'm surprised he didn't just move and stay out of trouble in the final round.

I was thinking the same. You have to remember this is his first real test since Klitschko, and everything else that happened in-between. He can only get stronger and more in shape. He was in a lot better shape against Klitschko and lighter.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
This argument that Joshua has been protected doesn't stand up to scrutiny when you look at his record however to be honest Hearn and Matchroom would be well within their rights to hold him back as he is still learning.

He only took up boxing in 2008 by which time Fury was already boxing as an amateur for England, Wilder had fought in the Olympics and just turned professional.

When you consider that Wilder has now had 40 fights, only faced top level opposition in his last 2 fights and fought journeymen up until fight 35, what Joshua has achieved in only 22 fights is actually quite incredible.

Joshua is getting better with every fight and so far overcome every challenge that has been put in front of him, people should be getting behind him rather than taking every opportunity to criticise.

Fair comment. But he now needs to fight Wilder or Fury in April. No more dodging. Tyson probably won’t really care about the purse he will get offered by Eddie Hearn, we will just want the fight. He will then make it public how he got mugged of by Eddie Hearn once he walks away with AJ’s belts.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Fair comment. But he now needs to fight Wilder or Fury in April. No more dodging. Tyson probably won’t really care about the purse he will get offered by Eddie Hearn, we will just want the fight. He will then make it public how he got mugged of by Eddie Hearn once he walks away with AJ’s belts.

Or they could do it like Tyson vs Lewis and have a joint promotion between Warren and Hearn, for all of Eddie bullshit and bluster it has to be 50/50 split now, so I think it should be quite easy to put on. 45,000 tickets each and away we go.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Fair comment. But he now needs to fight Wilder or Fury in April. No more dodging.

You make it sound like it's up to him. Wilder/Fury will both be looking for a rematch in the summer, so Joshua will be in with Whyte.

I'll ignore the dodging comment, as that's a different matter and one you clearly know nothing about.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Wilder would have knocked Joshua out on Saturday, as he would have walked straight into one of those shots

Nah. Joshua is much more of a threat to Wilder than Tyson. In Wilder's mind, he would have had 12 rounds to knock Tyson out and didn't need to worry much about what is coming back at him. He knew Fury would easily out box him though, and he'd be difficult to catch cleanly.

With AJ though, he is also a much better boxer than him (albeit not as good as Tyson). But getting out boxed by a puncher is much, much more dangerous. Wilder simply would not have the opportunities to swing against AJ.

It's for the same reasons why i believe AJ has a much better chance against Tyson than Wilder did. In fact, last time i spoke to Tyson he told me that he believes Wilder is easier to beat than Joshua.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

I know boxing gets complicated at the very top levels but AJ should be No.1 contender for Wilder’s belt and vice versa. Then unless they meet up they both lose their belts, end of. :O

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here