Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wilder vs Fury

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I hadn't planned on watching this, but the more the week goes on and watching the adverts and press conferences etc the more intrigued I am becoming.

I have followed Fury's career from the start. He is a very strange and troubled man, and I despise a lot of what he says and stands for. That said he is a very funny *******... Ultimately you have to take your hat off to him for what he has achieved in his career. I remember when he was touted to fight David Price when they were both on the ascendance, and I was convinced Pricey would knock him out. In the end they never fought and their careers will be looked at very differently - regardless of the result against Wilder. Someone in the pub convinced me to back him against Klitschko - again when I thought he had no chance. I came out with egg on my face but about £100 richer. Somehow he just pulls it out of the bag, and I think it boils down to having been taught how to fight from a very young age. If he had the same sort of power possessed by Wilder or Joshua he could have become one of the greatest of all time - but then again the lack of power has probably inspired him to learn the craft of boxing to the level he has done.

In terms of boxing ability Fury is worlds ahead of Wilder. But then when you consider the time out of the ring, the damage that could have been done by the coke, putting on the weight, then losing the weight again you are forced to forget the Klitschko masterclass. Then add that Wilder is a very different opponent - one that will let his hands go, and must land at some point. Fury has been down before but there is no way he can be considered chinny. The last time he went down he rose like the ****ing Undertaker in WWE. I am convinced that if Fury had two more tune up fights against better opponents then he would humiliate Wilder - and he still might.

Bottom line for me - if Fury is in good enough shape to do 12 rounds and has shaken off all of his physical and mental demons then he wins a shutout or even a late stoppage when Wilder starts getting the hump and goes nutty. If he's not then Wilder will land - and still go nutty as he always does to get his opponent out.

Im sorry I have to shamelessly plug my own comparison here, as now the inter web is filled with Undertaker/Fury memes.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
For those of us 'silly' enough to sit up till 5am I think we witnessed one of the greatest moments in British boxing history in that 12th round.

Fury was out, so what made him get up, he says Jesus Christ, I cant think of any other explanation, it was quite simply a sporting miracle, Wilder was already celebrating.

Wilder would have knocked Joshua out on Saturday, as he would have walked straight into one of those shots, whilst as Freddie Roach said "There's more to come from Fury"

So I think we can expect to see Joshua vs Wilder at Wembley in April, which Wilder will win, in the meantime Fury will have another tune up fight against top level opposition, before they meet in August/September at Old Trafford for the undisputed heavyweight championship of the world, and this time Fury wins. (On points)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
For those of us 'silly' enough to sit up till 5am I think we witnessed one of the greatest moments in British boxing history in that 12th round.

Fury was out, so what made him get up, he says Jesus Christ, I cant think of any other explanation, it was quite simply a sporting miracle, Wilder was already celebrating.

Wilder would have knocked Joshua out on Saturday, as he would have walked straight into one of those shots, whilst as Freddie Roach said "There's more to come from Fury"

So I think we can expect to see Joshua vs Wilder at Wembley in April, which Wilder will win, in the meantime Fury will have another tune up fight against top level opposition, before they meet in August/September at Old Trafford for the undisputed heavyweight championship of the world, and this time Fury wins. (On points)

I still fancy Joshua to take them both especially wilder.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

If Joshua tags Wilder (and follows it up with other big, connected hits) before Wilder tags him, then Joshua wins.

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Great fight.

Draw was fair as have to agree one has to really convincingly beat the champion.

Tyson or Wilder would bear AJ, who is overrated.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Great fight.

Draw was fair as have to agree one has to really convincingly beat the champion.

Tyson or Wilder would bear AJ, who is overrated.

really.... AJ list of defeated fighters is far far superior to any of the other 2 in my opinion

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Reports coming out that he's donating the purse to homeless charities.

All of it .....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
really.... AJ list of defeated fighters is far far superior to any of the other 2 in my opinion

But does that count for anything just before the first bell?

Its a shame Hearn/Warren hate each other so much because ideally they should bypass Wilder and have Fury vs Joshua at Wembley in April, the biggest fight in the history of British boxing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wilder would have knocked Joshua out on Saturday, as he would have walked straight into one of those shots

Confess to not being well up on everything boxing these days, but didn't Joshua not take an equally brutal shot from Klitschko in their bout and go on to dominate and win and answer a lot of questions about his chin?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Confess to not being well up on everything boxing these days, but didn't Joshua not take an equally brutal shot from Klitschko in their bout and go on to dominate and win and answer a lot of questions about his chin?

A 39 year old Klitschko who hadn't fought for 18 months and should have finished him off.

Don't get me wrong I think Joshua is a great boxer, but Fury and his comeback scenario has now surpassed AJ imho, and having been at Wembley in 2017 if Wilder tagged AJ he would go down, might get up once, even twice but wouldn't get up like Fury did at that point in the contest.

I also think Fury should be a shoo-in for BBC Sports Personality of the Year, but in the current climate of Political correctness and 'snowflakes' he won't get a look in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The pundits seem to to think that it was Fury's defence that got him the draw but his attacking ability is a little suspect in that he doesn't attack enough and relies on not getting hit.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But does that count for anything just before the first bell?

Its a shame Hearn/Warren hate each other so much because ideally they should bypass Wilder and have Fury vs Joshua at Wembley in April, the biggest fight in the history of British boxing.

Counts for nothing, im just pointing out his list of opponents is far superior to the other 2 boxers. So to say Wilder or Fury for that matter would put AJ away easily is a bit much.

These fights will happen I am sure, because the boxers want them too, its the promoters that are the problem as you say.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A 39 year old Klitschko who hadn't fought for 18 months and should have finished him off.

Don't get me wrong I think Joshua is a great boxer, but Fury and his comeback scenario has now surpassed AJ imho, and having been at Wembley in 2017 if Wilder tagged AJ he would go down, might get up once, even twice but wouldn't get up like Fury did at that point in the contest.

I also think Fury should be a shoo-in for BBC Sports Personality of the Year, but in the current climate of Political correctness and 'snowflakes' he won't get a look in.

The same could be said of Wilder after the 9th round knock down or even the later one, but he couldn't do it. So what makes you think that he would do it to AJ.?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The same could be said of Wilder after the 9th round knock down or even the later one, but he couldn't do it. So what makes you think that he would do it to AJ.?

One of Fury's qualities is how he controls the range, how many Wilder punches were swung and missed in front of Fury?

Joshua has a different style, and I think he would have been tagged by the same punches far more times on account of him being closer to Wilder during the contest.

I hope Hearn and Warren can sort this one out, as I think it would be a great fight, but having listened to Barry Hearn on the radio the other day, I think Matchroom will price Joshua out of any fight with Fury, he basically mocked Frank Warren's 50/50 split idea, but after Saturday, taking the titles out of the equation, who would sell more tickets?

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016

I think AJ would have a problem with Wilder. AJ is there to be hit, little head movement. Wilder has freakish power. I think he would have a problem Fury too based on his performance on Saturday.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think AJ would have a problem with Wilder. AJ is there to be hit, little head movement. Wilder has freakish power. I think he would have a problem Fury too based on his performance on Saturday.

He is, regardless of what Eddie Hearn might think, now the third best heavyweight in the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here