Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Radio 5 Live

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Thanks for this as I didnt know she went there. Always thought LBC was London but it looks like they re-branded

Rebranded as Leading Britain's Conversation. You get James O'Brien and Nigel Farage too, you lucky thing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Love the bloke. I said the same on a movies thread, but @Uncle told me Kermode is consistently spiteful towards the work of Tarantino.

When you say @Uncle, do you mean Uncle Speilburg ? late of this parish ? if so, he has issues with Mark Kermode's reviews of his namesakes films rather than Mr Tarantino

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Lost a LOT of love for BBC radio when they lost the rights for the cricket tours of Sri Lanka and Windies. TMS is one of my favourite things in life. I’m sorry but Wimbledon tennis and women’s football really doesn’t do it for me, although I enjoy their boxing coverage (Steve Bunce is excellent).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When you say @Uncle, do you mean Uncle Speilburg ? late of this parish ? if so, he has issues with Mark Kermode's reviews of his namesakes films rather than Mr Tarantino

Sorry, you’re right. I should’ve said Michael Bay.

94FE96B2-E49D-454F-A6B3-60A393A7127E.png

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Moved to Radio 4 extra, Radio 3, and World Service in desperate attempt to escape from incessant and never ending brexit coverage everywhere else on bbc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jane Garvey and Peter Allen. Class act.

Indeed. Genuinely a class act either together or solo.

One of the greatest pieces of radio I ever heard was a Peter Allen interview.

The interviewee was a Local Councillor defending something mundane.
Peter was going through the motions when this women decided attack was the best form of defense and really patronised Mr Allen.

The following 5 minutes was the audio equivalent of Hannibal Lecter eating her liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

I'd be amazed if she's fully recovered from the ordeal, but I guarantee she never spoke down to anyone again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One of the greatest pieces of radio I ever heard was a Peter Allen interview.

The interviewee was a Local Councillor defending something mundane.
Peter was going through the motions when this women decided attack was the best form of defense and really patronised Mr Allen.

The following 5 minutes was the audio equivalent of Hannibal Lecter eating her liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

I'd be amazed if she's fully recovered from the ordeal, but I guarantee she never spoke down to anyone again.

Peter Allen was a class act, with a gallows sense of humour.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
IMHO Talksport is solid but for the adverts - which are frequent and can make it unlistenable.

5Live is generally unlistenable due to their constant breaks for ads or whatever, and their staff are zombies churning out brainless pap 99% of the time.

I like 606 but even that is best in podcast mode so I can skip the crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No longer keen on their afternoon show 1/4pm..but I think I’ve wandered outside their target audience...sigh

I have too, and like the OP I think it’s a combination of that, the constant self-promotion, right on yoof presenters who are more like self appointed agony aunts and the blatant political bias shown throughout Brexit especially. In other words, I’m grumpier than I once was and even shout at radio these days. Auntie used to be a wise old bird but these days is more than a battery hen. Still, what do you want for £130 a year. I spend more on crisps.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Moved to Radio 4 extra, Radio 3, and World Service in desperate attempt to escape from incessant and never ending brexit coverage everywhere else on bbc.

Me too - got any LW recommendations for the car. I’ve NEVER ventured onto LW until Brexit. We are both radio refugees, each night I look for podcasts instead of turning on radio 5 :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hardly listen to 5 Live anymore.

I can't stand the way Nicky Campbell is the nation's self-appointed moral compass on virtually every subject. Nor the way whenever they want a member of the public's opinion on anything they stick a microphone in front of the first thick person they encouter in Salford. It's become a north west regional station that broadcasts nationwide.

The only show I lsiten to is Danny Baker on Saturday morning and the Saturday afternoon football commentary.

This, although I don’t dislike him as much as you perhaps do. And yes, Danny Baker remains the outstanding radio talent in this country for, what, the 30th year in a row? Genius and I don’t say that lightly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rod Sharpe or Alex Lester ?
2004/20010 early start for me.these guys knew their stuff.

Rod and I used to exchange emails for a while back in the day, we both new a place up in New Hampshire and he was good friends with owners who we also knew and stayed with. Bizarrely Nathan Elder was also a guest (Withdean generation!)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I like Nihal these days, but have noticed the sneering too.

Was listening to a chat about diversity/integration a few months back. He and ALL the guests were extremely condescending to listeners who dared to text in with different views.

I remember thinking that thousands and thousands will have switched off at that point.

Can’t stand him, epitome of a Liberal facist. Patronising too, if you know what I mean?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He repeatedly tells us he was DJ Nihal, who brushed shoulders with Tiesto, Carl Cox, Oakenfold & co. It is true, but strangely I never heard of him. Insecurity complex = must drop the subject into each 606 show. A middle age bloke who keeps saying Bro to teenage guests .... cringy.

This the and this again! The other term for someone who does this is ‘prick’.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The Breakfast Show is doing its Brexit Barometer thing today. This mainly seems to consist of Nicky Campbell delivering simplistic stereotyped views to contributors hoping he can trigger a rant The best bit of this was when one respondent very quietly advised him to be more aware of how he uses language. He sometimes comes across as being rather bored with the job and I suspect he gets a bit frustrated that his enormous talent hasn't been fully leveraged by the industry.

I think one day he might well lick himself to death.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The Breakfast Show is doing its Brexit Barometer thing today. This mainly seems to consist of Nicky Campbell delivering simplistic stereotyped views to contributors hoping he can trigger a rant The best bit of this was when one respondent very quietly advised him to be more aware of how he uses language. He sometimes comes across as being rather bored with the job and I suspect he gets a bit frustrated that his enormous talent hasn't been fully leveraged by the industry.

I think one day he might well lick himself to death.

Not a bad way to go :moo:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Rod and I used to exchange emails for a while back in the day, we both new a place up in New Hampshire and he was good friends with owners who we also knew and stayed with. Bizarrely Nathan Elder was also a guest (Withdean generation!)

Can you remember Dr Karl ? Spoke on air with him twice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here