Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Lobster in Brighton / Hove

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank you all. English's booked. The Regency sounds good too, but English's wins this time since they do lobster on the kids menu for £13 :D

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Steak with lobster, prawn and cockles in a creamy sauce is to die for or just plain with lime and pepper.

Lobster and crab is cooked alive. I have cooked thousands, literally, and not seen any jump out screaming it is too hot! �� just boil in water and salt.

Enjoy and as she likes prawns, I'm sure she will like lobster especially if she likes crab or scallops as a similar texture but not flavour.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Enjoy and as she likes prawns, I'm sure she will like lobster especially if she likes crab or scallops as a similar texture but not flavour.
Thanks. I don't think she's had crab or scallops either yet, as we never go to seafood restaurants. I see English's has kids crab too - maybe she can try them both :) Or perhaps we can go crazy with a starter of scallops too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I had my first surf n turf in Las Vegas in the year 2000. True story.:cool:
I had my first surf n turf in Las Vegas in the year 1994. True story. Don't think I've had it since.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This. You could also try the Salt Room so Mrs Triggaar has something not fishy as an option.

I’m going to The Salt Room in a few weeks time, don’t think they have lobster on the menu at the mo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dear wise NSC

My daughter is about to turn 12, and she would like to celebrate her birthday by trying lobster. She likes fish and has asked about lobster before, and I've told her it's expensive and she can try it on her birthday, so here we are. Mrs T doesn't like fish, so we never go to seafood restaurants (and have no idea which are good/bad), but we can make an exception for the birthday girl (although it doesn't have to be a seafood restaurant, happy to go to anywhere that serves nice lobster).

I'm thinking of a Western style lobster, rather than Asian. Please also recommend the particular style you think most appropriate for a 12 year old newcomer.

Where would you knowledgeable folk recommend?

Thanks

A 12 year old wanting lobster. Excellent parenting Sir! She’ll be as pretentious as me by the time she’s 16.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Crab is way superior to lobster.

Any decent chef will tell you this.

Singapore Crab at the Urchin or Riddle & Finns... ohhh yes! Excellent value for money as well given how it takes about 45 minutes to eat it

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Singapore Crab at the Urchin or Riddle & Finns... ohhh yes! Excellent value for money as well given how it takes about 45 minutes to eat it

mmm you have me salivating now. I can well remember devouring that very dish, at the late lamented Fishy Fishy a few years ago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking at their menu you are right, they don't. Somewhat surprising for an establishment that is primarily a seafood restaurant I would have thought.

Yes and no, they can’t sell everything, the chef has choices to make. And given the high standard and reputation this place has, he/she has called it right I guess.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rather than going out for a full slap-up (and expensive) lobster meal when you don't know if she will like it or not, why not buy a fresh lobster and have her try it at home first ? You can pick up a decent sized one thats been cooked at the Monteum fisheries along the seafront road (opposite B&Q) for £12-£14.

Take her out to Frankie & Bennys for the meal.

I have always found them to be very expensive and not VFM and the one in Aldrington Basin to be much better. It is ironical that I was talking to my brother in law, a fisherman with his own boat, yesterday and he was saying exactly the same as we were discussing French fishing boats fishing off our shores and the number of French lorries with 40ft trailers who take fish from Aldrington back to France.

This thread has got me looking at Lobster Thermidor recipes, so some good comes from it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have always found them to be very expensive and not VFM and the one in Aldrington Basin to be much better. It is ironical that I was talking to my brother in law, a fisherman with his own boat, yesterday and he was saying exactly the same as we were discussing French fishing boats fishing off our shores and the number of French lorries with 40ft trailers who take fish from Aldrington back to France.

This thread has got me looking at Lobster Thermidor recipes, so some good comes from it.

My dad has said the same funnily enough, he usually uses the one at Aldrington Basin (the Lagoon) as well. I'm a creature of habit though, and the Monteum is handy for the Malpas Meats store there as well.

Plus Monteum always has bigger crab claws.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here