Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sol Campbell

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It says a lot about the man that the first job he has taken is one where arguably he can't fail. They are already so far adrift that he could argue success is 23rd or higher and 24th is par.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"I don't want to go too low that it's a struggle, and I don't want to go too low that I'm under someone and thinking 'what am I doing here?' I would rather be managing a club myself. I'm confident and it's not like it's rocket science to run a football club, especially when you get to that level. If you're intelligent enough and a quick learner you will learn pretty soon, within two or three games, what the team needs, training-wise, to survive in that league, get better in that league, to get in the play-offs or even win the league.

"I'm intelligent enough, it's not like I played on a fox and dog pitch all my life. I can't believe some people, I'm one of the greatest minds in football and I'm being wasted because of a lack of experience or 'maybe he talks his mind too much'."

"Go to Germany, they love people who speak their minds. They got the jobs. I'm sorry that I've got a mind, but don't be scared of that. That should be something you want at your club, but obviously not."

- Sol Campbell in February, after getting turned down by Oxford.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am really pleased for Sol - And good to see more BME potential Managers at least getting a crack at a job in the Football League.

I hope he does well

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think this is a massive coup for the club, they have just managed to get one of the greatest minds in football at the helm. Quite how any of their fans can be unsure is mental.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I am really pleased for Sol - And good to see more BME potential Managers at least getting a crack at a job in the Football League.

I hope he does well

While under no circumstances should he be held back from this role because of his skin, it is a brave team that takes on someone with his ego.

I hope it doesn't go wrong, but can't help but think it will and it will be [incorrectly] used by Sol as an indicator that racism is still thriving in football thus setting back the fight for equality by sending the wrong message to both aspiring BaME managers and the owners/CEOs who have the job of recruiting them.

And I categorically state I hope he does a great job, rescues Macc from their current predicament and goes on to bigger and better things... but I think he will trip over his own ego and face plant badly & early!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Completely irrelevant his skin colour it doesn’t deflect the fact he’s a grade A cock

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
While under no circumstances should he be held back from this role because of his skin, it is a brave team that takes on someone with his ego.

I hope it doesn't go wrong, but can't help but think it will and it will be [incorrectly] used by Sol as an indicator that racism is still thriving in football thus setting back the fight for equality by sending the wrong message to both aspiring BaME managers and the owners/CEOs who have the job of recruiting them.

And I categorically state I hope he does a great job, rescues Macc from their current predicament and goes on to bigger and better things... but I think he will trip over his own ego and face plant badly & early!
That's exactly my take on the subject. I do want him to succeed but it has "car crash" written all over it.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
does being a complete narcissist take you a long way in football management? If it does, he's going straight to the top.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good footballer. Shame about his personality.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think the Macclesfield board could have made a worse decision. Sol is a tw*t.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
does being a complete narcissist take you a long way in football management? If it does, he's going straight to the top.

He will bump into a few others already up there

Jose Mourhino, Dick Advocaat, Frank Arnesson, Ronald Koeman, Damien Comoli to name just a few

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Barry Glendenning wrote this excellent piece after Oxford decided he wasn't for them

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/26/sol-campbell-oxford-united-craig-bellamy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here