Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sol Campbell

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I think that he's going to confound all his critics, and against all expectations, I think he could stay in the job until Christmas

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
He's a bell end of the highest order. I do think the lack of black managers in professional football is something that needs to be addressed. But not by this pillock.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I know Campbell isn't the most liked person out there but it shouldn't go unnoticed just how long it's taken for him to get a crack at management.

Frank Lampard retires in February 2017 and has a job at Derby County within 15 months with no managerial experience.
Sol Campbell retired in May 2012 and has only just got his first job, 6 and a half years later.
Joey Barton walked straight into a job while still playing.
Gerrard has a big job within 2 years of retiring.

Now yes, he’s a self absorbed bellend, but is he any worse than Barton? I can see why he’s been frustrated and whilst I don’t think racism plays a part I can see why it’s frustrated him. His ego doesn’t let him see that he’s the problem, not his skin colour.However saying that I think he’ll actually be a fairly decent manager.

Thinking you’re the second coming of Christ didn’t do Poyet any problems at first.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I know Campbell isn't the most liked person out there but it shouldn't go unnoticed just how long it's taken for him to get a crack at management.

Frank Lampard retires in February 2017 and has a job at Derby County within 15 months with no managerial experience.
Sol Campbell retired in May 2012 and has only just got his first job, 6 and a half years later.

Now yes, he’s a self absorbed bellend, but is he any worse than Barton? I can see why he’s been frustrated and whilst I don’t think racism plays a part I can see why it’s frustrated him. His ego doesn’t let him see that he’s the problem, not his skin colour.However saying that I think he’ll actually be a fairly decent manager.

Thinking you’re the second coming of Christ didn’t do Poyet any problems at first.

Whilst Sol hasn't got a job till now, he has had plenty of interviews. Sol has played the race card as his reasoning but he doesn't appear to have ever had a period of self reflection. What could I have done better? How did I come across describing myself as a great mind in football? He believes he is right and appears to have no consideration for opposing viewpoints. Club chairman are generally loaded with big egos and might put up with Jose or in our case Gus if the results are coming in but I doubt they would take a chance on an unknown manager who looks like he will rub everyone up the wrong way with no track record. His piss poor interview record till now is probably no more complicated than that.

I'm happy he's got a job now though. Following this is going to be ace.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It isn't helpful, all the stuff about Campbell not getting a better job because he's black. It is because he has a very strange manner, not one you would associate with a football manager looking to take people with him. 'Self-obsessed/absorbed bellend' is a bit harsh, but you can see why it is said.

I can't see this finishing anything other than badly and fairly soon. It's bizarre, there are pundits who are sh!te and probably should have been managers but they were too lazy and it seemed too much like hard work, so went for the easy dosh. But Campbell seems to me better suited to be a good pundit than a manager.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

If the quotes he has made are how he is interviewed is it a surprise he hasn’t got a job?

Barton is a complete ****, but he comes across as someone that would know what they are doing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has he changed his mind yet, like he did after he singed for Notts County? :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's a story in Peter Crouch's book when they were both playing at Pompey, where Sol is having his pre-match massage - he had BOTH of the club masseuses doing it at the same time, one on each leg. When one of the other players piped up and complained, Sol said "When you've got 70 caps for England, come back and we'll talk about it again"

:wanker:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Has he been coaching whilst applying for these managers jobs? That seems to be the usual pathway, coach the kids, coach the u18’s, 21’s, 23’s, assistant manager then manager.

I assume he’s had a crack at this?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

He is a bellend. He certainly wouldn’t have gone for a job at Derby to start until later. Comparing Frank his dad was a manager his uncle was too. That is a massive leg up. Despite that he spent a long time visiting clubs academies and working with the youngsters. One of the clubs he visited was the Albion. All before choosing his first position to go for.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
one thing is certain CH will be shouting about him and similar getting a managers job, nothing to do with possible ability.

I'm a bit confused by this BG - can you explain? Think I'm misunderstanding your point.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I saw his first TV interview today, as manager of Macclesfield. You think he would brief the interviewer to say “I just want this interview to stick to the job, the team, the club, my preparation for this role, our perilous position, and what I’m going to try and do first”.

But no. The whole interview was about him being black, how much harder he’s had to work, complaining there aren’t enough black managers in the game etc etc. All about him, his race, and his struggle. How does he think his team, his fans are going to react to that?

Surely he is intelligent enough to work out that the only thing that now matters is the team’s performance, their next 27 games, and their desperate quest to stay in the EFL.

Or maybe he isn’t?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm a bit confused by this BG - can you explain? Think I'm misunderstanding your point.

CH is always banging on about more black managers. The simple answer is that he has made a success of it, as has Chris Powell, despite being black so why cant the likes of Sol Campbell. The classic example is Paul Ince not being a current manager, nothing to do with his colour more to do with the fact that he has been s..t in every job that he has had. Give a job to the best candidate who applies for it irrespective of colour or creed, simple really.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has he been coaching whilst applying for these managers jobs? That seems to be the usual pathway, coach the kids, coach the u18’s, 21’s, 23’s, assistant manager then manager.

I assume he’s had a crack at this?

I believe he was working with Trinidad, for a while.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
CH is always banging on about more black managers. The simple answer is that he has made a success of it, as has Chris Powell, despite being black so why cant the likes of Sol Campbell. The classic example is Paul Ince not being a current manager, nothing to do with his colour more to do with the fact that he has been s..t in every job that he has had. Give a job to the best candidate who applies for it irrespective of colour or creed, simple really.

I'm not sure you're being entirely fair on Hughton here, BG. Chris offers his view when he is asked a direct question on the matter. Given that he has achieved far more success than most, he tends to be asked the question a lot when new high-profile BAME managers are appointed. Moreover, he talks a lot of sense on the issue - BAME managers are significantly under-represented in the football league, and it would be very difficult to argue that it isn't harder for them to get their foot in the door than it would be for white managers with similar experience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here