Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cold remedies

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
True, but it’s not as simple as that:

“Research from the Common Cold Research Centre at the University Cardiff in 2005 showed that 13 of the 90 volunteers who had their feet chilled with cold water for 20 minutes caught a cold in the following 4 or 5 days, compared with only 5 of the volunteers who didn’t have their feet chilled.

The reason is possibly because the cold causes the blood vessels in our noses to constrict, and reduces our ability to fight infection. We are constantly being exposed to viruses, and so the chilling left the volunteers more vulnerable to this cold onslaught and therefore more likely to develop a cold over the following days. This could also be one of the reasons why colds are more common in the winter. So, to avoid a cold, keep yourself (and especially your nose) warm. Scarves out!”

I don’t tend to stick my feet in cold water for 20 minutes every day so I should be fine.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I have heard that local honey helps relieve symptoms of hayfever as it acts similar to an inoculation. I really can’t see what the reasoning behind local honey for a cold is. Othe than the beekeeper trying to flog it was local :)

Yep totally agree with you, maybe placebo, but I swear by it now, Definitely helps cure my man flu!

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Local honey, freshly squeezed lemon and hot water.

I was always sceptical but a local bee keeper made me try it and it never fails to sort a cold out for me.
Apparently has to be local fresh honey though.

This plus a good shot of whisky and a Beechams Powder often results in a heavy sweat overnight

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
If you need a decongestant, get something containing Pseudoephedrine, which will need to be over-the-counter. The ones on the shelf contain Phenylephrine, which is proven not to work.

That said, I find a big bowl of boiling water with some Vicks in, and a towel over my head, really does the job!

I worked on a burns unit for 12 years. Steam from boiling water will burn you. Spilling water over 70C on your skin will burn you. Let it cool down a bit so you're inhaling warm vapour rather than hot steam.

Trust me, it ain't pretty when it goes wrong and you get a lifetime reminder every time you look in the mirror.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was sent along to Boots on an errand for Mrs TC who was suffering from a cold, cough and sore throat. I couldn't find the exact thing she was after but the lady behind the counter recommended a simple bottle of glycerine for 99p. She explained that it was the main ingredient in most remedies and if you add a few bits yourself, you get a much better remedy and save a fortune.
I took it home, expecting to be lambasted as if I'd come home with magic beans but we tried it. I think we mixed it with hot water, lemon and fresh ginger. Spot on, far nicer than any other ready made remedy. And did a fantastic job of both soothing the throat, clearing the airways and stopping the cough.
We also put a drop of Whiskey in one just before bed, lovely.

Now we always keep a bottle of glycerin in the medicine cabinet. A game changer.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for all the posts, also just discovered Sainsbury’s decongestant and hay fever nasal spray. Works great for £2. Red wine is helping too. Good night.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was sent along to Boots on an errand for Mrs TC who was suffering from a cold, cough and sore throat. I couldn't find the exact thing she was after but the lady behind the counter recommended a simple bottle of glycerine for 99p. She explained that it was the main ingredient in most remedies and if you add a few bits yourself, you get a much better remedy and save a fortune.
I took it home, expecting to be lambasted as if I'd come home with magic beans but we tried it. I think we mixed it with hot water, lemon and fresh ginger. Spot on, far nicer than any other ready made remedy. And did a fantastic job of both soothing the throat, clearing the airways and stopping the cough.
We also put a drop of Whiskey in one just before bed, lovely.

Now we always keep a bottle of glycerin in the medicine cabinet. A game changer.

This is all you can get for young kids - it's a right pain.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Colds last on average for a week but if you spend lots of money on organic honey made by bees that live locally and with whom you are on first name terms, mixed with organic aspirin, made locally by a witch, and freshly squeezed organic lemon, then you may get better in as few as seven days.

Seriously, it is viral and beyond the reach of medical cure, but symptoms can be alleviated, possibly even by the concoction lovingly described above. Keep well hydrated (which means milky tea) and warm, and cut down on the booze.

Happy to provide an egg-sucking tutorial later, upon request.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here