Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Vegan hardline communists

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Eggs if not eaten = New life. A cow makes milk when calf born for calf. Bull calves from Dairy Cows are mainly reared for Beef . People milking cows or goats for milk cheese or butter can only do so if they take animals young away.

That's not true. One cow or one nanny goat per family provides for the calf/kid and a family. A lactating animal will produce more milk when more is drawn.
You don't think a six month old child takes the same amount of milk as a newborn do you? I have breastfed, so I know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Animals would stop being force bred for food and so the population would reduce to a minimum.

So to answer your question, what would happen to the animals if people stopped eating them... nothing, because they would not be brought into their unfortunate existance in the first place.
That's just a romantic idea. The animals would be destroyed as farmers couldn't afford to keep them as pets. There wouldn't be herds of wild cattle, except for rarer breeds.
There might be herds of sheep seeing as it doesn't hurt them to shear their wool.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
That's just a romantic idea. The animals would be destroyed as farmers couldn't afford to keep them as pets. There wouldn't be herds of wild cattle, except for rarer breeds.
There might be herds of sheep seeing as it doesn't hurt them to shear their wool.

I think people accept that it’s a long term benefit rather than a short term one. In the short term there is the issue of what to do with the remaining livestock, maybe one last hurrah for meat eaters? The benefit it would have to the environment would be absolutely worth it. I am Veggie not vegan but I accept that if we want to be serious about climate change we need to stop eating meat as a society.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pathetic student posturing. Or virtue signalling as we must now call it. Gotta be a quite timid person to just sit there and just let these immature twats ruin your meal. And what were the staff doing while this BS was taking place?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think people accept that it’s a long term benefit rather than a short term one. In the short term there is the issue of what to do with the remaining livestock, maybe one last hurrah for meat eaters? The benefit it would have to the environment would be absolutely worth it. I am Veggie not vegan but I accept that if we want to be serious about climate change we need to stop eating meat as a society.

No leather for shoes and plastics are bad for the environment so we must learn to walk barefooted.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Anyone mentioned Simon Amstells film "Carnage" yet? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04sh6zg

Personally, I think it shows that eating using animals in the way we currently do is immoral. I found the bit about cow milk production to be particularly difficult to watch. However, I still eat meat and consume dairy. I've tried to limit it but I am very much aware that was I am doing in wrong in the context of the modern, global society we live in.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Plants are living organisms, so you kill them by eating them.

Not only that, but many just kill flowers so that they watch them die in their living rooms while the flowers slowly die standing in a vase. How cruel is that.

Save the Flowers, Stop Flowers Suffering.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Not only that, but many just kill flowers so that they watch them die in their living rooms while the flowers slowly die standing in a vase. How cruel is that.

Save the Flowers, Stop Flowers Suffering.

No reputable study has ever shown that plants can "feel pain". They lack the nervous system and brain necessary for this to happen. A plant can respond to stimuli, for example by turning towards the light or closing over a fly, but that is not the same thing as the immense suffering animals go through to satisfy human gluttony.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
No leather for shoes and plastics are bad for the environment so we must learn to walk barefooted.

Not an equivalency at all, and not a good argument. Usually your posts on here are well reasoned and informed, but your replies here are so wide of the mark. The ‘plants are living too’ argument is absolute nonsense.

Beef and lamb are the worst offenders, even if we just cut those out it would have an enormous impact.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Animals would stop being force bred for food and so the population would reduce to a minimum.

So to answer your question, what would happen to the animals if people stopped eating them... nothing, because they would not be brought into their unfortunate existance in the first place.

And what about the ones that already exist? We are not talking about a handful of animals, but millions
Are they to stop them breeding to prevent the next generation which would need somewhere to live, food, water, etc?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not an equivalency at all, and not a good argument. Usually your posts on here are well reasoned and informed, but your replies here are so wide of the mark. The ‘plants are living too’ argument is absolute nonsense.

Beef and lamb are the worst offenders, even if we just cut those out it would have an enormous impact.

My comments on the plants was a joke as was the other poster, who saw it for what is was, and joked about watching flowers die in a vase.
Sense of humour failure.

I eat meat, I enjoy meat and don't feel any shame in eating meat, dairy or fish.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why would they be destroyed? It depends on your "the time that people stop eating meat" scenario. If it were outlawed, then farmers would have time to prepare for such an event. If it were just phased out over time as people stop eating it, then supply and demand would determine the gradual reduction of livestock being force bred for the purposes of consumption.

I can't think of a scenario where farmers would have to destroy all their livestock in one go.... but even if that were the case, that's what we're doing anyway...every day... by the millions... for our consumption...

Why would they be kept alive? and by whom? using what money?
Why would farmers want to continue to lose money on retaining their livestock, it's not like they could throw open the gates on their farms and let the animals roam free (they'll need grazing land, not just the same field they are in now, they need feed in the winter, they will likely need some veterinary treatment too, etc...

Because of this, most animals would just be destroyed and buried, just like the animals that were destroyed due to foot and mouth disease because of the financial reality of keeping these animals alive on their farms

You have an idealistic / noble way of thinking but sadly one that just won't work in the real world for so many reasons, often as a result of over simplified thinking on a subject

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Considering a vast majority of cows in particular are artificially inseminated, this wouldn't be much of an issue for them. But yes, preventing the introduction of males to a herd or brood would seem sensible in a scenario where you want to see a reduction in their population. Currently most males in most species of livestock are killed at birth, except the "lucky" ones that are to reproduce.

Not in a beef herd.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Considering a vast majority of cows in particular are artificially inseminated, this wouldn't be much of an issue for them. But yes, preventing the introduction of males to a herd or brood would seem sensible in a scenario where you want to see a reduction in their population. Currently most males in most species of livestock are killed at birth, except the "lucky" ones that are to reproduce.

So forget about the future offspring, i'm asking what happens to the existing living livestock if everyone were to stop consuming meat or diary?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here