Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tough luck

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
No

Leicester deserved to get all 3 points for their effort and our complete lack of it and any ambition or goal scoring intent with an extra man for an hour

Cardiff was one of thse things, got what we deserved again

Funny how we go down to 10 men and are backs to the wall for an hour and 1 shot against the worst team in the league and when we get the extra man are played off the park for an hour

We have been very poor all season bar a couple of games and are lucky this league is so woeful and the worst since the PL started with 6 shocking teams that are no better than the top half of the championship

So we're not allowed bad luck, but we're allowed good luck. Thanks for clearing that up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Absolutely not.

Moaning about luck is the ultimate get out when you’re not getting results. It just sounds petty and bitter.
I think that applies to the team. They shouldn't be moaning about bad luck, they should be working out why the last two performances have been poor. We fans can't fix the problem though, and I think it's fair for us to moan about luck.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So we're not allowed bad luck, but we're allowed good luck. Thanks for clearing that up.

Read it again. Also in terms of luck this season we are still very much in credit

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Nothing really to do with luck but everything to do with tactics.

Took the lead, cracking goal by Sir Glenn, they had an idiot sent off, controlling the game at half time. Second half we came out played 11 men behind the ball, sitting deeper and deeper, conceding territory and possession....again.......and it was pretty much inevitable that we would concede eventually.

Had we taken advantage of them being down to 10, controlled possession and pressed them, we would have picked up the three points and we wouldn't have to be relying on "luck". For me, it was the tactics and the way we set up in the second half that cost us.

Weren't we set up the same way as we were for the 1st half, which general consensus suggests we played well? Was it unreasonable to expect Leicester to get more desperate and gaps to open up that might allow us to exploit? Was it unreasonable to say at half-time "we dont need to change anything, keep doing what you'red oing? What was unreasonable was to expect the poor level of performance from the same players in the second half..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Weren't we set up the same way as we were for the 1st half, which general consensus suggests we played well? Was it unreasonable to expect Leicester to get more desperate and gaps to open up that might allow us to exploit? Was it unreasonable to say at half-time "we dont need to change anything, keep doing what you'red oing? What was unreasonable was to expect the poor level of performance from the same players in the second half..

With a man advantage and at home, they allowed the away team to dictate all play and we offered no creativity or threat. Surprising to say the least.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think so far that we are on the right side of fortunate to have the 15pts we have.

The 16s on relegation readily available a few weeks ago has long gone.

Time to get playing again.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

With a man advantage and at home, they allowed the away team to dictate all play and we offered no creativity or threat. Surprising to say the least.

The fact that we didn't do it very well, despite a very good 1st half is far different from saying the "tactics were wrong". That's my point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The fact that we didn't do it very well, despite a very good 1st half is far different from saying the "tactics were wrong". That's my point.

I’m not knocking the tactics either. Personal view is that we do NOT have the players to control games, and our players are locked into a mindset of ‘protecting what they have’ when winning.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m not knocking the tactics either. Personal view is that we do NOT have the players to control games, and our players are locked into a mindset of ‘protecting what they have’ when winning.

Apparent lack of trust in the signings since January is a worry. given the amount spent it is a concern to me that none of them have cemented a first 11 spot.

Did the recruitment team do brilliantly last season but have underperformed badly this season?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Screw the hard done by, we should have put the game to bed without being bothered about the officials.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Not feeling hard done by at all..Think Wolves and West Ham may feel hard done by at the Amex. And as others have said we should have wrapped Leicester Game up against ten. In the end we were fortunate not to lose it. It was all Leicester in the last 20 mins.
Poor performance and we got a point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apparent lack of trust in the signings since January is a worry. given the amount spent it is a concern to me that none of them have cemented a first 11 spot.

Did the recruitment team do brilliantly last season but have underperformed badly this season?

Time will tell. Big fees were paid for each of Jahanbaksh, Locadia and Bissouma. There’s sign yet of value for that spend.

Perhaps we need better CM’ers with the ball, to get the others to shine?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
... not awarding pens is an opinion though where as the offside rule is a fact.

Sorry, but that is utter tosh.
Both are an official's judgement made on a split-second of visual action.

The off-side rule AND foul-play / hand-ball are all well documented in the FA rule-book - the official must use their judgement to interpret and apply against what they've seen. [If you didn't see it you can't give it]
Cricket and Rugby both now use video replay as they have recognised the importance of getting these key decisions right - VAR is coming to football and should help eradicate the "howlers" too.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Sorry, but that is utter tosh.
Both are an official's judgement made on a split-second of visual action.

The off-side rule AND foul-play / hand-ball are all well documented in the FA rule-book - the official must use their judgement to interpret and apply against what they've seen. [If you didn't see it you can't give it]
Cricket and Rugby both now use video replay as they have recognised the importance of getting these key decisions right - VAR is coming to football and should help eradicate the "howlers" too.
As I said a foul is the refs interpretation. Ya either offside or ya not. That isn't his opinion. Weather he gets this right or not is a different matter entirely. With use of VAR none of Leicester pen or Cardiff winner would've been given.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Bottom line is with those decisions being made correctly we would have 3 points more and a very healthy points total. Have we played shoddily recently and allowed teams to pressure us? Of course but that's a different question. So in terms of refereeing decisions we are definitely owed some luck.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I seem to remember that someone had done a review of a chunk of Premier League games from last season, and concluded that we were one of the more hard done by in terms of key decisions not going our way.
As much as I hate seeing players getting in the refs ear and pushing for decisions, those teams that seem to do it more, seem to get more decisions going their way.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Nah.

Not unlucky. You make your own luck and we just sat back and let them walk all over us. I think we were lucky not to loose 3-1.

Hope that's the end of the great Albion Christmas Giveaway for 2018.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here