Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Side Linesman

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was sat in W1A for a change yesterday close to the South West corner flag and touchline. Thought at the time the lino on that side was having a mare and watching back on TV confirmed it:

1) Gross never offside when he did the run where he went round Kasper after the whistle.
2) Ball not out when Izquierdo was away and got booked for kicking away
3) Albrighton constantly pushing Bernardo - totally unpunished
4) One instance where he couldn't make his mind uup in a throw at all and randomly and belatedly pointed the flag Leicester's way.

Poor officiating at this level. I'm not saying it cost us because we managed that ourselves but you wouldn't expect four such obvious errors normally.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All should be well next season with VAR except that nothing you mentioned will be covered by VAR. It needs the Officals governing body to be more pro activated to improve the standard of refs and assistants instead of continually backing them when making mistakes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
You forgot to mention Iheanacho being offside when he won the penalty

I'm going to have to watch that back again then. If that's right then that is three game changing incorrect decisions to go with two minor irritations. Not that we deserved much as I said.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
You forgot to mention Iheanacho being offside when he won the penalty

The ball cannoned off Kayal to the player, and also from the screenshot Duffy appears to be standing right on the goal line. No offside for me.

Screenshot 2018-11-25 at 09.36.28.png

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The ball hitting a Brighton player doesnt put the player onside now. I think that having just watched MOTD that the player in the middle played Gross onside although MOTD didnt highlight it.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure that both linesman were guessing offside decisions. The female Lino seemed to flag whenever Leicester appealed in the 2nd half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
All should be well next season with VAR except that nothing you mentioned will be covered by VAR. It needs the Officals governing body to be more pro activated to improve the standard of refs and assistants instead of continually backing them when making mistakes.

BG
As we saw in the World Cup, the lino will error on the 'play on' side of the game. So in the case of Gross, initially the lino would allow play to continue as it was a close call. Gross would beat the keeper and score at which point VAR would come in to play to check the offside. The panel would see he was played onside and as such a goal would stand. BUT. All this would happen in secret with the fans not knowing and Kasper spitting venom in the face of the Ref.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Duffy on his own is not enough to play Iheanacho onside. There needs to be two players, normally the keeper is one of them.

Yeah I've just had another play on MOTD. Although the ball does come off Kayal he's behind Ryan when it was first played and becomes active when he touches it. Offside for me.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Duffy on his own is not enough to play Iheanacho onside. There needs to be two players, normally the keeper is one of them.

This, Iheanachos foot is actually on the line, Duffys foot a few inches on the pitch, not touching the line at all, and anyway, Iheanacho would need Ryan to be closer to the goal as well, so he’s offside.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
boring but I had to look it up. :blush:

from the FA Rules

a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence

So, as the foul happened before the 'offside' player had a chance to play the ball then the foul was penalised, in this case as a penalty.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think the got a penalty for a foul that wasn't a foul. The guy was falling with 2 feet off the ground before Beram even made the challenge. However it was a Penalty because Beram handled the ball just before that incident

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG
As we saw in the World Cup, the lino will error on the 'play on' side of the game. So in the case of Gross, initially the lino would allow play to continue as it was a close call. Gross would beat the keeper and score at which point VAR would come in to play to check the offside. The panel would see he was played onside and as such a goal would stand. BUT. All this would happen in secret with the fans not knowing and Kasper spitting venom in the face of the Ref.

As you say with VAR he may have not flagged and allowed Pascal to go on and put the ball in the net then have a look but it wouldnt account for his complete lack of efficiency with other decisions that he flagged for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here